Why does this accident happen?

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my input:

Our FZ6 comes with touring tires.

The GSX-R comes with racing tires? I was told by other riders that tires on a supersport needs to be warmed up before they get optimum grip.

Combination of that and something else?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
The GSX-R comes with racing tires? I was told by other riders that tires on a supersport needs to be warmed up before they get optimum grip.

I don't think the GSX-R comes with real racing tires, but I would not be surprised to learn that they are a different compound, since the bikes are tailored to different markets... That accident wouldn't have been caused by a lack of warmth on the tire though he wasn't leaning enough....maybe it was cold out and the asphalt was cold (thus not making an ideal grip with the tire), or he just made a last minute adjustment that didn't work so well on his shiny new ride.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
It had to be new tire combined with tire shine. Dealers do this often to keep the tires shiny, all over I mean. They try to keep it looking sharp, but what these idiots don't realize, we have to ride it. Thats why they always warn you ahead of time to take it easy out of the lot.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
The Suzuki:
Looks like an oil spill or something .....
Must be something really slippery on the tarmac!

The classic:
Looks like a cold tire loosing grip due to revs, then when he tries to straighten the bike, the tire regains grip, hence resulting i sudden (now sideways) acceleration.
Basicly it boils do to this dude being a dumb ass, trying to show off. Just another one of the so-called "riders" that gives biking a bad name.....
Sad really:(

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
new tires alone won't cause that.

He wasn't on the gas that hard. You would have heard it. And without getting on the gas hard, he wouldn't be able to make that rear tire break loose even if it was new and slick.

And look at how he rode up to the cameraman. Both feet on the pegs, good use of the clutch, off the curb, at a very low speed. He's no newbie, he knows how to ride.

Agree with you both, he was not giving it shed loads, there has to be something on the tyres.

Who would be culpable for that?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of this classic clip, guy riding his new bike away from the dealership does almost the exact same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfw9cUfp3g&NR=1

New bike, slippery tires. It's a classic tale: first grip is lost, then grip is found, and highside hilarity ensues.
Yeah your guy lit up the rear, a totally different accident to the first guy.

Nelly

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
When I "pulled' out of the dealership with my new FZ6 I was going so slow the odometer read -1 miles. The salesman caught up to me, walking, and switched out my speedometer for a sun dial and when I got home it was time to get another inspection sticker.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Who would be culpable for that?

The Rider.

As noted before, this guy appears to be no newbie. Seemed to be in fine control of the bike at slow speeds and in full gear. I have a feeling this was not his first rodeo.

Either way, if the shop did indeed put some sort of shine on the tire to make it look nice, the RIDER, should have noticed this and acknoledged the issue. As riders, you and I take the same chance every time we throw a leg over a machine. This why the pre-ride checks are always important.

Why does this world feel like when something goes wrong, the best solution is to blame everyone else but themselves?

-bryan

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a new rear BT021 today from Micheldever tyres, £130. Thought that was a bit steep.

Anyways, I got talking to the bloke who fitted the tyre and he told me to take it easy for a hundred miles. Told him about the GSX-R you tube clip and he said that last year a bloke bought a brand new R1 from a dealer in basingstoke called Mott Motorcycles. To get out of Mott you have to turn right across a busy main road. So the bloke, with 0 miles on the clock, rolls out the dealer, indicates to turn right, sees a gap, hits the gas and flips the bike! Trashed with 0 miles on the clock! Ouch:eek:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
new tires alone won't cause that.

I beg to differ with you on that one.

If you are harsh enough with your movements on brand spaking new tyres they will certainly make your bike do this.

The guy deserved it, everyone is told when they buy new bikes/tyres to take it extra easy. Goes to show that you should never play up in front of the camera! :)

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
After 13 years in the motorcycle business and having always aggressively sold tires I can't even begin to say how many tires I've sold and installed. It's definitely in the thousands.

Nor can I count how many motorcycles I've seen do exactly what that Suzuki did, some even worse. A few of them were totaled by the insurance company after the incident.

Most of them were sportbikes, the overwhelming majority in fact.

I can tell you that I've been at my current dealership since April of last year and in that time there have been four bikes go down in the very same manor. One new one in the parking lot, three that came in for new tires, one of those in the parking lot, two at the intersection just off the property. All four were sportbikes.

I just oversaw an inventory at the dealership so I can tell you that we currently have 225 tires in stock. Every single one of the street tires have a sticker on them that among other things warns that new tires are slick and that the rider should avoid steep lean angles, excessive braking and hard acceleration for a period of time. Every single one of them and they are manufacturer installed.

We have a policy in place that requires me to tell every customer I sell a new street tire to that new tires can be slick, and if the tire is installed by our service department the service manager and the tech have to do the same thing, plus it is in writing on the repair order and must be initialed by the customer.

Every tire manufacturer that I've ever spoken with has told me that they use a combination of natural oils in the rubber during the manufacturing process so that the tires will slip out of the molds easier and to give them a shelf life before installation. Heck, we've got tires on the shelf right now that you can run your fingers on and feel how slick they are. By design these oils work themselves to the surface and are worn away and evaporated during the first heat cycle.

In my own personal experience I've notice varying degrees of slickness when new tires were installed on our bike. The worst were Bridgestone Excedra's, it took more than 100miles for the bike to feel 'right' to me. The Metzler ME880's were noticeable but by the time I got the bike home from the shop they felt great. The current set of Avon's have been the best in that regard, I can't say as I noticed anything odd at all about them initially, but they had the most 'shiny' appearance when new of all I've used.

I know every dealership is different and operate in their own way, but I don't know of any that use any type of tire shine on new bikes, and only a handful on used ones. Even those guys will only put them on the sidewall. Lets be honest here, most of the set up guys are kids that aren't paid huge amounts of money, even if they were stupid enough to consider putting it on the tread do you really think they would take the time to do that? Even if they did, don't you think it would be painfully obvious because the tire would pick up loose dirt an debris on the ground and then would look worse than one that was simply cleaned.

There very well may have been something on the pavement that made our hapless 'Zuk guy drop it, but my money is on just a tad too much throttle (knowing he was on camera) on brand new tires. I've seen it waaay to many times to think otherwise.

Bruce

thejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to drag up an old thread, but i'm getting a new tire put on the rear due to a nail in the tire. so this "slickness" of a brand new tire occurs on new bikes as well as new tires put on an old bike? how long does it take to get this film/slickness completely off the new tire? how long do i ride carefully before i can ride aggressive again? thanks!

S

sm00thpapa

Im pretty sure the mystery was solved. lol.

new tires are slick...add tire shine to that....bingo.

LMAO! Yeah, sorry, I just read the opening post saw the video and posted that. Forgive me for not reading them all. Hahahahaha......