Why do you work on your bike by yourself ?

Why do you work on your bike by yourself ?

• Money

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Hobby / to kill free time

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Expanding knowledge

Votes: 60 52.2%
  • No local shop available

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Im a lonley social outast with neither friends or money

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I don't trust others to do the job properly

Votes: 23 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because I don't have any friends!!!!!!

*Tear :(...

Your communicating with your friends right now, a whole bunch of them!!!

I don't think there's anything that hasn't been addressed or repaired on this forum with the FZ.

So many tips, NOT in the manual, shortcuts for certain repairs(again, not in the manual), that you won't find anywhere else...I didn't know about iridium plugs (period) until I found them in this forum...

There's so many knowledgable folks here, willing to do the work, photograph and document it, its better than the shop manual in many instances....

Instead of following a trouble shooting diagram on a manual, someone will point out, IE, the red kill switch is a known failure point (especially if used often) when all your symptoms may point in that direction. Quick fixes to keep you on the road as well!

Repair, maintain and ride safe!! :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
There's comes an innate satisfaction with becoming close to your bike. (insert jokes - go ahead). The first time you lift the tank and begin to poke around, ever so carefully, and then your knowledge, skill and confidence builds to the point of feeling like an expert - yes! you know more about your bike than the some mechanics might at the shop.

A couple months after getting my FZ6 in early 2010 I took on the BD43 dual headlight mod. Really pretty easy as I see it now but being something brand new at the time I made my way through it slowly and experienced quite a good feeling once I was done. And then the modding bug begins.. this stuff just keeps me going!!

I have an acqaintance with a ducati multustrada. He's an ok guy and all but he's caught white collar-itus. He feels he's not qualified to work on his own bike. to each his own.. As I said in my initial post some 5 pages ago I work on my bike to relieve stress of my day job which.. oh yeah, btw is white collar too.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't :) I tinkered around a lot more with my ninja but my living/garage situation where I am now makes it much more difficult to work on the bike. For me and for now, it's all about the joy of riding, not working on it. I live in an apartment with an underground garage, which has terrible lighting and no outlets. Also hesitate to take anything apart in case I can't/don't have time to put it back together--don't feel comfortable leaving the tank off or anything like that in what is essentially a public space (garage is commercial and open to the public).

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoy working on my bikes. Yes it does get frustrating at times but I'm still learning. I have the satisfaction of saying that "I" fixed it.

I just brought back to life a 96 FZR600R that had been left in storage for 13 years. To hear that motor fire up and then to fix, replace, and upgrade parts on it and make it back into the awesome bike it once was feels so good! Next is a 91 FZR1000 polished frame and has a 1040 kit to restore. That had been in storage for 10+ years.

I hate to pay shop prices when I know I can figure it out with some time and asking questions. Also helps that my bikes aren't my main transportation. All it costs me is parts, I can usually buy them cheaper than the shop, and time, my time is valuable but I get repayed in knowledge and experience.

I've been asked how I learned to work on my bikes and really if you have common sense and access to the service manual a helpful forum like this and you can find almost anything on the internet these days really anyone can do it.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a mechanic. Unless I need a bunch of expensive special tools I will handle everything myself. After I had my rims scratched by the only "trusted" local shop I started saving for a NoMar tire changer and balancer so I wouldn't have to outsource that any more.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the last one, which is the truth - I trust no one, (but the one just before it is a close second! : )

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't seem there has been much mention of paying someone to "mod" your bike!!

I can't imagine paying a shop to swap my forks, install R1 rear shock where it doesn't really fit, ditching the OEM tail in favor of TT and powder coating everything blahh blahh (insert list here). The bike would be very expensive labor wise. As such it would simply be impractical.

Attention to detail means everything. Having worked in the auto industry in various capacities I just don't trust other people to take the same care that I can give.

So it has many facets:
Quality, detail, thorough, custom, saves money, relaxing, entertaining, knowledge and good reason to have a beer and enjoy ones efforts turned full circle!
Plus the added knowledge and pictures are shared here helping others! I enjoy all aspects of it, but more than anything - I like to hang on to it in the corners knowing nothing is going to fall off! If something does, I have no one to blame but myself!

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I find working on motos incredibly easy and can complete repairs in the time it would take to just travel to and from a shop. I order parts from Amazon as they are way cheaper than a dealer and with Prime membership delivery is free.

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Knowledge, hobby, money, idiots... All of above!? I work on my bikes as much as I feel comfortable. I did pay an old Suzuki mechanic to set ignition, jet, tune and sync my rebuilt 77 GS550 as I made a custom 4-1 exhaust and put pods on it, carbs are my curse! But for the most I'll make, fab and tackle most things. It came from seeing things online; like a license plate bracket or fender eliminator and thinking I can make that. Start small and before you know it, you'll be rebuilding forks, making parts and building your own ground up bike!

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
The cheap I don't trust, the expensive I don't want to hire, I'd rather buy something for the bike instead, the learning opportunity I don't want to lose.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I like knowing how to fix the basics. They add up the most. In the past week, I've read the forums and the service manual and changed my oil (a duh service) and also the coolant. Learned some lessons on the coolant today. I just enjoy it.