Why do you work on your bike by yourself ?

Why do you work on your bike by yourself ?

• Money

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Hobby / to kill free time

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Expanding knowledge

Votes: 60 52.2%
  • No local shop available

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Im a lonley social outast with neither friends or money

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I don't trust others to do the job properly

Votes: 23 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Last week I've spent some times on maintaining bikes in my garage. As I've spent there long hours I started thinking why (I mean what is main reason) I'm doing it all by myself.

Since first day on motorcycle (in 2010) I've realized it's going to be love for lifetime. Just after getting bike I've thought I won't be able to feel real bond with machine until I will understand how it works and how to take care of it.

At this point I've made decision I will learn how to fix bikes and progressively expanded my knowledge by reading and asking questions on forums :). I still feel I don't know even half of what I need and want to know :) but any job around bike doesn’t scare me. I know I will be able to do it (with help of service manual) - it’s only matter how much time and frustration it will take :)

I still use external shop from time to time but very rarely. Mainly because every time I’ve dropped by there and ask stupid question or quick check if bike runs as it should they were helping me without charge and hassle. By using their services I'm trying to support them and thanks for sharing knowledge.

Anyway, what's your main reason to do all the work by yourself ? Money issues ? Hobby ? Need to expand knowledge ? No mechanic around ?

Let's hear your stories !:)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
From reading the forum for 4 years it seems fairly typical for the FZ6 owner to be a little bent toward being technical or at least hands on and capable of doing much of the work.

For me this is my outlet. I love to work on the bike. I have a very cerebral day job that gets me stressed so I like physical work, which is often in my garage, in my free time. This helps get me though the winter!

Coming from wrenching on cars for almost 3 decades (since I was old enough to drive) I find working on the bike to be an absolute pleasure. Never have I found a stuck bolt and the bike dissembles with just a couple metric sockets and allen wrenches. Projects take hours versus days or weeks in car timeframes. I have 2 dormant project cars in my garage (1st gen Pontiac Firebird convertibles). They had been my passion for decades until the bike came along in 2009. Not missing ever climbing under a car. Perhaps when things slow down enough in retirement (yeah thinking that far ahead) I will do work on cars again.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it for myself for several reasons:

I love wrenching on bikes, engines, outboards, anything mechanical... Started at 12 years old, was pulling bike transmissions at 15. 55 now. I also like having tools, air compressors.

Most anyone can change a part.

The challenging part is finding out WHY something failed.
IE, my 23 year old jacuzzi electric motor was starting to seize up and was hard starting. Pulled the motor /pump and found one end had a roller bearing, the other end, a BUSHING. Lubed up the bushing (never been lubed in 23 years) with some top of the line Yamaha Marine grease (I did see just a tad of galling on the shaft), replaced the capacitor (easier start up) and had to make an internal spacer (.6mm as a fiber one inside disintegrated). The mechanical seal (like our water pumps) was also shot. Runs like a top now, no seizing, free spins 3-4 full turns after turning off, no squeeks and starts IMMEDIATLY. Saved me at least $250 for a new pump.

I don't like paying someone to do something I can do myself. In the end, its generally cheaper to buy the tools, research and do the fix yourself CHEAPER than to pay someone.

I don't like other folks working on my bike. You may get a newbie mechanic that YOU ALREADY know more about your bike than he does. I've had several instances where a trained Honda "Mechanic" (under warranty) did more damage doing a repair (goldwing), and they would NOT FIX the NEW OIL leak it developed after the fix. Another shop and a threat to Honda of a lawsuit got the bike fixed correctly...

Wrenching relaxes me, literally. I can spend all day, wether it be a lawnmower, weedeater, etc, I just enjoy the challenge...If you don't have the correct tool, I can usually make one either on the steel lathe or with the help of my MIG welder, arc welder or torches.. Can never have enough tools!!! :thumbup:

I also enjoy about as much, designing / manufacturing farkles (goodies) for bikes that otherwise are NOT available. For the FZ, I've designed a helmet lock bracket for all hyear FZ's, a radiator fan guard, I also have a distributor in NC that I manufacture helmet lock brackets for several BMW's that DON'T have helmet locks.
Been doing that since probably 2005:The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R SportAny bracket under "Easy Helmet lock" is my design, manufactured by myself. I also have them for all FJR's, the Kawasaki Concours, some Aprillia's and Ducuti's. Figuring out, designing, etc, can sometimes(depending on the bike) more challenging than just wrenching...

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I wrench on cars anyway, so it's kinda natural to work on my bike. There's 2 shops relatively local to me, but neither are ideal. One is closer, but is dishonest, and ridiculously expensive on both parts and labor. The other is more like 45 minutes away, and still expensive on labor. Either way, I'm stuck riding there and waiting, trailering it, or making my wife come get me. No thanks, I'll drag it 3 miles to work, and have a nice relaxing beer while I do my work.

Bottom line is really money. My bike is a luxury, and it earns its keep by saving me money. I'm not sure if it has paid for itself (I doubt it) but I know if I were paying full retail for everything and $100/hour or more, I probably couldn't even afford to keep it, even as reliable as it is. To put it in focus, the cheaper shop wanted over $100 to replace the chain, even with an aftermarket chain with a master link. I paid $75 for a good chain tool and spent an hour of my time. :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm good with my hands! lol
I trust me and have seen what trusting "them" can do. I don't!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely do it for money, a hobby, and for knowledge expansion. I actually bought the old '80 CB750 to tear apart for that exact reason. Ripped it down to all base components and put it back together. Cost a fortune but I can rebuild anything now and troubleshoot the heck out of most of my other stuff.

It's expensive to learn this crap though. Using the new knowledge, you start swapping transmissions on cars, lifting jeeps, etc...

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have been wrenching cars for decades so digging into my fz6 was easy to start doing. Any mechanic is under pressure to deliver, so they MUST ignore something they see that will not generate billing. Good enough is good enough for them. They could never take the time we owners do to make a repair. That said they usually have some wisdom they could pass on to us. Those little tips and tricks can make a tough job easier. This forum is an equally good place to learn these technique. The members here have given me great help and advice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it for a few reasons. To save money, learn how and why something works the way it does, and the satisfaction of doing it myself. What better way to learn how something works than to take it apart?

I learned the most when I had my dirtbike. My brother-in-law at the time, taught me a lot about it and how to ride the MX tracks. I never took it to a shop except for suspension work. I had that bike field stripped in my garage numerous times for maintence, all the way to a bare frame.

I feel like you really become one with the machine when you do the wrenching yourself.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I voted money, why waste money paying someone to do something that I can do myself. It's not brain surgery.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Few reasons.

I have always done it, started on my car 10 years ago when i started driving, it just made sens to do it myself on the bike now that i have one.

I enjoy it.

I know that things are done properly and i know the condition of my bike.

It saves me money.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The last dealer I bought from a bike from really wanted to win me over for service. They even put in a new battery since the bike although new had sat for 3 years on the show room floor.

I went back later to pick up a tail cover I had ordered and went over to the service department where the head mechanic was working on his own bike because it was so slow. He was pulling the the valve cover off and I watched in disbelief as dirt and grit fell into the engine while he was preparing to do his valve lash check.

I have always been handy with a wrench and this really sealed the concept of DIY. Naturally the money saved is a great benefit and the other part is self satisfaction and reward of being hands on. :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The last dealer I bought from a bike from really wanted to win me over for service. They even put in a new battery since the bike although new had sat for 3 years on the show room floor.

I went back later to pick up a tail cover I had ordered and went over to the service department where the head mechanic was working on his own bike because it was so slow. He was pulling the the valve cover off and I watched in disbelief as dirt and grit fell into the engine while he was preparing to do his valve lash check.

I have always been handy with a wrench and this really sealed the concept of DIY. Naturally the money saved is a great benefit and the other part is self satisfaction and reward of being hands on. :)

That is so sad, his OWN bike dropping crap into the engine.. I can't imagine what service his customers bikes get....:spank:

Last edited by a moderator:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't trust most shops. Besides they charge an arm and a leg for the simplest thing. Also I don't trust them. I need to do it with my own two hands to know that it was done properly.

I actually enjoy tinkering with the bike and the most important thing for me is being self sufficient. The more I know and learn the less dependent I am on shop.

Besides why pay somebody to molest your motorcycle?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not brain surgery.

I disagree, but in the philosophical sense. Every time you expand your own mind or challenge yourself, you are operating on your own brain and on the problem. When you start working on a bike problem, you're either going to fix the issue or inflict your psychological problems on the bike. Trust me, I've drilled out screws and retapped threads more often than I care to admit because I inflicted my impatience on a small bolt or screw.

I retract my previous vote. I work on my bike because it teaches me to pay attention and maintain my focus. And it's cheaper than a therapist, some days.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's fun! I've been fiddling with bikes the last 31 years. I almost always learn something new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't trust most shops.

Bingo!! I don't like the fact that this is the primary reason for me, but it's the truth. I do all my own bicycle / motorcycle / car maintenance. Many years ago, I used to take all my toys in for service and have had SO many bad experienced that I finally decided to do it all myself.

I do love it, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much (between 2 cars, 2 motorcycles and 6 bicycles).

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Bingo!! I don't like the fact that this is the primary reason for me, but it's the truth. I do all my own bicycle / motorcycle / car maintenance. Many years ago, I used to take all my toys in for service and have had SO many bad experienced that I finally decided to do it all myself.

I do love it, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much (between 2 cars, 2 motorcycles and 6 bicycles).

It never ends, haha.

For me it's the worst when i buy a new motorcycle.

I just don't trust the previous owner.

1. oil change
2. air filter change
3. complete brake job
4. spark plugs check up
5. coolant flush

If the bike has more than 15k miles on the clock I tear open the engine and check the valve clearances.

I thought that with my new V-strom I might have less hassles given that it's new.
Alas, what do I find out?
Retarded prep mechanic at the dealership did a piss poor job of prepping the bike.

Check torque specs on most prone bolts to vibration.

God damn brake fluid has air bubbles.

As everybody can see I have a lot of trust issues. :(

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Carlos - or the moderators, we skeptics need another option on the poll for those with trust issues. :Flash: