Why did you buy your FZ?

jetfz'r

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to the forum. I just bought my FZ two weeks ago. I have owned several older bikes when I was younger, then on to a Bandit in college. I had a Savage for a while, but sold it when I got divorced. Wanting to get back into it, I started looking around. I looked at several bikes, sport and cruisers, but was undecided. I went to visit my parents and my dad took my to several shops sitting on all kinds of bikes. I was originally leaning toward the 1200 Bandit, but did not want a red bike. I saw a new FZ and liked it, my dad said let's go back home and look on the net. We found my '05, perfect blue, and made a deal on it. The salesman stayed late on a Saturday so I could get it.

I love the bike. It has a Corbin seat that seems too stiff, but I am sure I will get used to it. My son, age 7, loves riding with me, but I have to keep the riding mild for him.

Spudpunx

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking for a used bike that looked good, had more bang for its buck and that i wouldnt kill myself on (1st bike) and i found my baby at a dealer the only one they had there... 07 1100 miles only $5400 sticker (after haggling) i couldnt ask for more, i love the looks and its a blast to ride... now i see why you cant find very many of these used, ppl wanna keep em!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What was it that made you buy your first FZ?QUOTE]
Hi Dave,

I went to the steelership with the intention of getting an SV 650 as I am used to twins and enjoyed a test ride on it. I didn't realise at the time that the FZ6S was out.
I walked into the show room and saw it there and thought wow. I put my deposit down and then did a load of Internet research. I was initially disappointed with the bike press reviews. I was very impressed with the pedigree (R6), I felt that it was a very well designed bike. I love the frame and the under seat exhaust.
Like you I stalled it a few times and was blown away by its performance.
I will defo get another one.

Nelly:rockon:

Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
For about 93% of my life, I thought anyone riding a motorcycle had a death wish. About two years ago, I was contemplating a job change that would have moved me from working at home to commuting 30 miles each way. I thought "that might be more tolerable on a motorcycle!" At that point, I just had a change of heart on the suicidal nature of riding motorcycles. I think also having two small children in the house severely constrained the amount of time to do much exciting, and I was looking for a way to liven it up. That percolated in my mind till last year, when I took the MSF class and got a used Buell Blast as my first bike.

With the odo at 35k on that thing (3k my doing), each time I took it to the shop something needed to be replaced, it was getting expensive, and typically got stuck there for about a month due to lack of parts. The service people admitted that there wasn't ever a service plan for it beyond 20k miles -- no one at HD expected it to last that long. I started to realize that if I wanted to get any money out of it in a sale, I better get rid of it quick before something big went wrong with it.

I spent an obscene amount of time reading motorcycle review online. Impacting my work, personal, and sleep life. That prompted me to stop analyzing and just put myself out of my misery by buying somethign. For the longest time, I couldn't decide between a cruiser (love the look and sound) or a standard. Finally read enough articles of reviewers complaining of sore butts on the cruiser that convinced me I should go with standard. Ultimately, it came down to SV650 (naked) or the FZ6. I much prefered the look of the SV650 (I'm more of a naked type myself) and it came out on top in nearly any comparo. But I did read some reviews raving about the comfort of the FZ6 and it's fantastic wind protection (which turned out to be wrong), and I started looking at those. The Suzuki shop wasn't open on Sundays, which was the only day I ended up having to look at them. I also got some input from this forum and an SV650 forum. People here were universally happy. On the SV650 site, it was a bit more of a mixed bag. So now I'm a member of the happy FZ6 owner club.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For about 93% of my life, I thought anyone riding a motorcycle had a death wish. About two years ago, I was contemplating a job change that would have moved me from working at home to commuting 30 miles each way. I thought "that might be more tolerable on a motorcycle!" At that point, I just had a change of heart on the suicidal nature of riding motorcycles. I think also having two small children in the house severely constrained the amount of time to do much exciting, and I was looking for a way to liven it up. That percolated in my mind till last year, when I took the MSF class and got a used Buell Blast as my first bike.

With the odo at 35k on that thing (3k my doing), each time I took it to the shop something needed to be replaced, it was getting expensive, and typically got stuck there for about a month due to lack of parts. The service people admitted that there wasn't ever a service plan for it beyond 20k miles -- no one at HD expected it to last that long. I started to realize that if I wanted to get any money out of it in a sale, I better get rid of it quick before something big went wrong with it.

I spent an obscene amount of time reading motorcycle review online. Impacting my work, personal, and sleep life. That prompted me to stop analyzing and just put myself out of my misery by buying somethign. For the longest time, I couldn't decide between a cruiser (love the look and sound) or a standard. Finally read enough articles of reviewers complaining of sore butts on the cruiser that convinced me I should go with standard. Ultimately, it came down to SV650 (naked) or the FZ6. I much prefered the look of the SV650 (I'm more of a naked type myself) and it came out on top in nearly any comparo. But I did read some reviews raving about the comfort of the FZ6 and it's fantastic wind protection (which turned out to be wrong), and I started looking at those. The Suzuki shop wasn't open on Sundays, which was the only day I ended up having to look at them. I also got some input from this forum and an SV650 forum. People here were universally happy. On the SV650 site, it was a bit more of a mixed bag. So now I'm a member of the happy FZ6 owner club.

you realize you can take off the fazer's fairings right? :cheer:

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I first saw the FZ6 when it came out in France (i was living in Paris at the time...) I knew i wanted that bike the moment i laid eyes on it! I think the fairing, the gas tank, the headlights, underseat exhaust, everything just flowed soo smoothly and yet it has angle's to it. The frame is like arms grabbing/hugging the engine, i thought the damn bike was sexy!!! :D But i was still young, riding my Yamaha 125ccTDR. Then when i moved back here, i had to redo my whole license (of course french one wouldnt really work here :p) so i put it off abit, finally did the Motorcycle Saftey Course, got the License and then waited abit for my finances to be ready to go bike shopping! When the time came i was looking at the 2006 FZ6 in Blue but just did not like the blue color on that bike, to purple looking for me so i gave up for a few months...Then the day came i was determined to get me a bike, i had had my license for a while gathering dust and it was killing me! So i grabbed the yellow pages and started calling for a Red 2006 FZ6 that was not easy to find as the 07's were coming in. But i found a dealer that had one, i rushed in, saw it, rode it home that day :Sport: I'm just abit sad i didnt have the heart to negociate at all for a better deal, it was my first big purchase, being young and inexperienced i rushed in yelling "i want that red one, i dont care about the price!"...so i paid MSRP:banghead: A few months later that same dealer had on sale the blue one that was sitting next to mine for $4999...live and learn...Its all good because I love my FZ6 ^_^ Being tall (6ft6) i dont fit on many other bikes, i had narrowed it down to the FZ6 or the Suzuki V-Strom 650, i took the FZ6 for its more Sporty side as i knew it suited my personality more! The riding position is just near perfect for me!

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode a 1982 Yamaha Maxim xj750 for two years. Very fun and comfortable motorcycle, easy to maintain as well, but its old carbureted engine was starting to get on my nerves with its hard cold starts and the amount of fumes that came out of the tail pipe. So i researched all the models available today that were similar to my old motorcycle and narrowed it down to suzuki sv650, gsx650f, kawasaki ninja 500 or 650, honda 599 and yamaha yzf600r, fz6. I wanted something that was easy to maintain so a centerstand is a must; this narrows it down to sv650(optional), ninja 500, fz6. Then i wanted fuel injection; now its only the sv650 and the fz6. I wanted power, but they both make more than enough power; the only thing different between these two was the power delivery. Did i want broad meaty torque or gas turbine-like power output? Because my old maxim was a four banger, i ultimately decided to stay loyal to yamaha and went with the fz6. I do not think i could be any happier with my decision, tho i do sometimes wonder what it would be like to ride an sv650...