Who's got Kawi Versys experience?

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
So I rode my FZ all last year and do really enjoy the bike. It's great for a day ride or a commute to work. BUT...my riding buddy bought a KTM SMT 990 and we did a few longer days. I found the FZ to be a bit cramped in the legroom department and of course the stock seat was killer. I think my riding style is going a bit more towards the touring end of things, so I want something comfortable, but I still want something fun to ride. The seat issues is fixable with the aftermarket, and I could put bar risers on, but at 6'2" I don't know that I can get enough leg room to be happy.

This leaves me looking at 08 and 09 Versys. Yes it's down on power, but the wife doesn't like to ride so no 2 up for me. Reviews all love it, say it's a blast to ride, and the ergonomics look better than my FZ with more legroom and an upright position.

I know there are at least a few people on here that have come from or still own a Versys. Opinions on the bike? Will it fit the role I'm looking for it to fill as a commuter/back road blaster/light 1-up tourer?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2010 Versys... Vibed like a paint mixer so I sold it... Bought a 650 V-strom... best bike I ever owned... The FZ6 is a close second....

For long distance, comfortable rides... DL650 V-Strom hands down over the Versys... V-strom has better ergos, better suspension, better on gravel roads, greater comfort, better wind/weather protection and most of all that smooth, magic V-Twin engine...

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
2010 was supposed to have different engine mounts to reduce vibration too. The V-Strom is on my list to consider as well, so I'm glad to have someone with experience on both bikes chime in!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
2010 was supposed to have different engine mounts to reduce vibration too.

Well if Kawasaki did manage to reduce vibes on the 2010 + models... I would hate to think of the vibes on the previous model years... The engine was indeed fun and punchy, but as I said the vibes just killed the love affair for me...

You should try and test ride one... and give it a good ride, especially paying attention to the engine at various revs... Maybe the vibes won't be an issue with you...???

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna try this again, typed a big long response on my new phone which took a while cus I'm not used to the virtual keyboard then it deleted it cuz tapatalk finished loading, anyways here goes...
Having ridden everything from minibikes to motocross bikes to super sports to cruisers (including the mighty fz and the 650 storm- an older one 2005ish) I can safely say the most fun I have had is on my 2010 versys. No, it isnt as fast as the fazer in the straights but it wasn't designed to be :) where the "V" as us proud owners like to call it, is in the bendy bits. I've honestly never ridden anything else that puts as big a smile on my face on back roads ( yet). The v is what you want it to be, urban assault vehicle, back road shredder, highway mile eater, and contrary to popular belief, a beast of an off road machine. For longer rides I'd suggest a better seat (I use the factory low gel) because the OEM Is like sitting on a large rock after about 40 miles. I've never had any back wrist knee or ankle issues in the time I've owned it, and I did take a road trip down to Ohio last summer with no issues. Toss knobbys a skid plate on it and your good to go offroad ( or be like me and say to hell with both and go out trail busting on OEM streets w no crash anything on the bike lol) it's actually a very stable ride off the road, assuming you have some experience offroad with bald knobbys lol. As far as vibes go, I've never had an issue and the few vibes it did produce disappeared when I put the aftermarket slip on on. That being said I'm used to motocross bikes so my idea of vibey is probably different than most. A lot of bikes are opinion heavy as is the v, some people prefer it to the wee strom as I do, some people prefer the strom like canadianfz. Your best bet it to test ride both and see what fits you better. Good luck and let us know what you do!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the well thought out response, and for typing it out twice! Glad to hear that the Versys has no less fun factor than the FZ and possibly more! I do plan on taking a look at both bikes, as they both seem like they will both fit my needs. I do lean towards the Versys, as most people seem to agree that it is a bit more fun to ride than the Vstrom, and I do like the looks of the Versys better. I am keeping an open mind though, and when I do get to spend some time with both bikes, I'll let them speak for themselves.

Does anyone have any other options I should be considering to fit my needs without breaking the bank?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if your looking at the vstrom and versys a lot of people compare it to the BMW gs 800 and if you have gs money ya might consider a triumph tiger 800. Don't like the BMW tbh but wouldnt pass up a test ride on the tiger

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The strom and versys are both budget bikes though you'll have a hard time finding more bike for the same $$

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
Well if your looking at the vstrom and versys a lot of people compare it to the BMW gs 800 and if you have gs money ya might consider a triumph tiger 800. Don't like the BMW tbh but wouldnt pass up a test ride on the tiger

The wife has not authorized GS money, so the BMW and the Tiger are out. However, with money out of the picture, the Tiger 800 is probably what I'd end up with.

I'm looking at budget bikes due to being on a budget! BUT, I think both of these bikes could give me what I want for a reasonable amount of cash.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A beast of an offroad bike???? You lost my confidence with that statement. :)

The V is a cool bike but I rode one and it just didn't excite me. That was a few years ago, maybe I need to try another buy I definitely wouldn't be wasting my time putting knobbies on it.

Good value though

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't doubt me. It's not a dual sport but for an adventure bike is does well if you have offroad skills, if you don't you probably should be on a klr 650 etc

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The wife has not authorized GS money, so the BMW and the Tiger are out. However, with money out of the picture, the Tiger 800 is probably what I'd end up with.

I'm looking at budget bikes due to being on a budget! BUT, I think both of these bikes could give me what I want for a reasonable amount of cash.

See if you can find a kawazuki dealer that has both and see about test rides :D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
...and this is why we need a Super Tenere 900 from Yamaha....

Super%20Tenere%20Concept%20Serie%204%20Motor%20France.jpg

Tenere%20660%20Design%20weiss%20C.jpg

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Cramped?

I can't stand the appearance of that kawi (sorry dxh), no matter what the engine....

I am surprised about you feeling cramped on the FZ6, as that's not something that I can recall seeing. I'm 6'3" and can't say I've felt cramped before. Much better than the supersport bikes.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
The 1000 and 1st gen are hideous IMO lol 2nd gen grew on me though :D

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree on Yamaha needing to bring the 900 Tenere here! Compared to the SS bikes, the FZ does have great leg room. It's on longer trips that I start to feel like I could use a little more legroom. I'm good for about an hour, but then I'm ready to get off and stretch my legs. I also think that the upright position of the Versys would help with my comfort. It's been tough to find a dealer around here with a Versys in stock, but I finally did find one about an hour away. Might take a trip out this weekend and see the bike in person.