Which year FZ6 to buy??

kristianeyman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow members, I would like to call upon your wisdom. I am in the market to buy a FZ6 but are there any years that might be better to buy than others? I have looked at a 2007, and the seller said not to buy one from a previous year, why? Thanks for any and all replies, Kristian!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
The FZ6 was the same from 2004-2006, it then got some technical as well as minor upgrades in 2007 which stayed the same from 2007 until the end of its production in 2009.

So I would suggest a 2007, with low miles, this would net you the most technologically up to date FZ at the best price :D

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Probably 2007

Hello fellow members, I would like to call upon your wisdom. I am in the market to buy a FZ6 but are there any years that might be better to buy than others? I have looked at a 2007, and the seller said not to buy one from a previous year, why? Thanks for any and all replies, Kristian!

As the other have said, I'd try to go with a 2007 for cost reasons. 2007 has all of the technical changes / updates that the 2008 and 2009 models have, but will likely be cheaper since it's older.

If you don't care if you have the better fairing, real analog tachometer, better looking swingarm, better front brakes and a helmet lock, then go for an earlier year model....

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Probably 2007

If you don't care if you have the better fairing, real speedometer, better looking swingarm, better front brakes and a helmet lock, then go for an earlier year model....

I thought the 07+ had a digital speedo as well, just an analog tach...the fairing thing is subjective, but if you go the clip-on route it is easier to clear the 04-06 ones. They smoothed the throttle response on the 07+ so I'm told.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
From Yamaha's press release:

New for 2007:

•Even better finish quality of the upper fairing, frame, engine and swingarm back up the FZ6's outstanding style and performance.
•Reprogramming/refining the fuel injection mapping produces smooth power and excellent response.
•A stylish new swingarm complements the bike's Controlled Fill frame and adds to its light, precise feel.
•New, four-piston monoblock brake calipers up front provide excellent braking power and feel.
•High-tech instrument display (like the FZ1's) features analog tachometer, digital speedometer, etc.--also a cool fade-in lighting feature with adjustable brightness.
•New passenger pegs are lower and made of aluminum for comfort and appearance.
•Redesigned fairing, windscreen and new, high-quality paint look great and reduce turbulence.
•New front fender and alumite-finished outer fork tubes add to the stye parade.
•A redesigned seat bottom and cover material feel soft but solid, and make it easier for shorter legs to reach the ground.

The changes to the FI are more involved than just mapping...they added an O2 sensor so it has closed loop fuel control at idle and light load. :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Having had an '05, I would probably buy another one of the 'first gen' bikes. Even knowing that the fairing produces (in my view) an unacceptable level of turbulence and noise. I'd really have to ride a stock '07 or later to see if there was a truly significant improvement.

I am not terribly fond of the frame and motor in black. That's the biggest visual difference between the first and second gen bikes.... the 2nd gen swing arm is a much improved design. The (gen2) 4 piston brake calipers are acting on the same rotors, and are controlled by the same master cylinder... so they look cool, but I really don't think there a huge improvement in performance.

For me, it's pricing. Obviously the older the bike, the more opportunity there is for someone to damage it, either by crashing, or by tinkering.... but if you are mechanically capable, much of that can be addressed with little expense.

When shopping, look for the bike with the least modifications, and average mileage. If it's getting less than say, 5K miles a year...... there's a good chance it's sat for extended periods without use. That is a bad thing for motorcycles.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Can you spot the differences?
• Type: 600cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline 4-cylinder, 16 valves
• Bore x Stroke: 65.5 x 44.5mm
• Power: 96.55 HP (70.5 kW)) @ 12000 RPM
• Torque: 63.10 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft.lbs) @ 6400 RPM
• Compression Ratio: 12.1:1
• Carburetion: Group Fuel Injection, 36mm throttle bodies
• Ignition: Digital TCI
• Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
• Final Drive: #530 O-Ring Chain
• Suspension/Front: 43mm telescopic fork, 5.1″ travel
• Suspension/Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload; 5.1″ travel
• Brakes/Front: Dual 298mm floating discs w/2-piston pin slide calipers
• Brakes/Rear: 245mm disc w/single-piston caliper
• Tires/Front: 120/70-ZR17
• Tires/Rear: 180-55-ZR17
• Yamaha FZ6 Dimensions:
• Length: 82.5″
• Width: 29.5″
• Height: 47.8″
• Seat Height: 31.3″
• Wheelbase: 56.7″
• Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0º
• Trail: 3.8″
• Fuel Capacity: 5.1 gallons
• Dry Weight: 410 lbs.
Type: 600cc, liquid cooled, DOHC, inline 4-cylinder, 16 valves
Bore x Stroke: 65.5 x 44.5 mm
Power: 96.55HP (70.5 kw) @4750 RPM
Torque: 63.10 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft. lbs) @6440 RPM
Compression Ratio: 12.2:1
Carburetion: Group Fuel Injection, 36 mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital TCI
Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate clutch
Final Drive: 0-ring chain
Suspension/Front: 43mm telescopic fork, 5.1” travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload; 5.1” travel
Brakes/Front: Dual 298mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear: 245mm disc w/single-piston caliper
Tires/Front: 120/70-ZR17
Tires/Rear: 180/55-ZR17
Length: 82.5”
Width: 29.5”
Height: 47.6”
Seat Height: 31.3”
Wheelbase: 56.7”
Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0
Trail: 3.8”
Fuel Capacity: 5.1 gal.
Dry Weight: 410 lbs.

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven ridden a 2009 & didn't find it much different to my 2004 fizzer other than my earlier model felt like it was smoother & turned on a bit harder over 9000rpm which may be the earlier mapping, but could also be that it had more miles under its belt, either way you cant go wrong with this bike, mine has been no trouble.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
You can't go wrong with any year. Allthough, IMHO, the '07-up achieve a better result.
Not in terms of handling or riding, I mean: no hudge improvements, but in the overall aspect and maybe in the ECU/mapping/throttle response + the swing arm...

I read/heard here and there that "MAYBE" Yamaha will stop producing the FZ6 in the next year(s) (end of development for this bike...) after the release of the FZ8, more "in phase" with the "nowadays" market-segment.
But who knows?

So, my humble advice should be (if you can afford it) to go for the latest model.

But no matter the year: the FZ6 is a true wonderful bike. :cheer:

Good luck,
Gobs

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '04 and to be honest,the clocks,swingarm and calipers look better on the later bikes,but its nothing than can't be upgraded from a breakers.As for smoother power delivery,I can't comment,not having ridden an '07 on.but I like the way mine cracks the power in.

As for colour,well disregard all the above comments,as it has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt,that Black shaves 3/10ths off your 0-60 and gives you an extra 5mph top end ;)

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for colour,well disregard all the above comments,as it has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt,that Black shaves 3/10ths off your 0-60 and gives you an extra 5mph top end ;)

I sure am glad the wonderful bike in question DOES come in many colors, so we can ALL argue which is better!!

Can you imagine just red or just black for EVERY bike??

(Red IS better, by the way)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Re: Probably 2007

I thought the 07+ had a digital speedo as well, just an analog tach...the fairing thing is subjective, but if you go the clip-on route it is easier to clear the 04-06 ones. They smoothed the throttle response on the 07+ so I'm told.

Oops. That's what I get for posting at 3:58am. Yes, analog Tachometer is what I was referring to on the 2007+ models. The digital tach on my 2004 blows, but luckily I don't need to use it much anyways.

My throttle response improved after I had my TPS replaced under warranty and I subscribe to the Nasaman theory about the part having a revised resistance curve.

I have R6 forks/brakes and a 2007 swingarm on my 2004, so it seems like my bike is slowly turning into a 2007 model....

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
2007 or above, main reason is the Optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping.

Here is all you want to know about the revisions
Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2007 revision 2007 Yamaha FZ6

On October 10, 2006 Yamaha Motor Company announced an updated FZ6 for the 2007 model year.[1]

The FZ6 receives the following revisions:

* Optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping.
* Redesigned fairing and windscreen.
* New instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1).
* New four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake.
* Alumite-finished front forks with revised damping.
* A 3-way catalytic converter.
* A new seat design.
* A new rear swingarm.
* New passenger pegs.

The available colors for 2007 are Team Yamaha Blue and Candy Red (Yamaha Blue and Deep Metallic Red in Canada).

MSRP for the 2007 model is US$6,845 ($9,299 in Canada).

European versions other than the S2 have reduced power of 78 hp (58 kW).