Which ways your best??

which direction do you turn best?

• Left turns ( counter clockwise )

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Right turns ( clockwise )

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I turn bothways equally

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don't turn good either way ( new rider or you just suck)

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
S

sportrider

I recently bought a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R for my wife. I was demonstrating low speed turning and swerving and realized, I could benefit from practicing more myself. I've been riding for years but only practiced low speed maneuvers for the skills test at the DMV. I can turn from a stop either way good but when it comes to U-turns or tight circles I am much smoother turning left than right, I can still do it ,but my confidence level is a notch or two higher turning left.

W

wrightme43

My friend teaches the MSF course, he says everybody has one way the turn better than the other.
The best way from what I understand is to practice, or to take a riding school.

I practice my ass off in parking lots. Walmart has collapable cones that fit in a tank bag for 3 bucks for 4. I take them with me, set up figure eights, weaves, stop lines, circles, J turns, 90 turns, and anything else I can come up with.

My right chicken strip is this wide I my left is II. I should probley post photos. I am working my way down further and further. I will scrape pegs soon. I used to work on leaning off, till a old timer told me freaking stop. I was going to get in over my head, hanging off is for the track. Lean my upper body, and after I can consistently just ssssskkkkhhhh the peg, to take a track school, and let instructors teach me how to lean off. I read about it in total control, and twist of the wrist.

GREAT CHOICE!!!! on the ninja 250!!!
They are awesome bikes. I miss mine so much. I will have another one.
check out
www.ninja250.com

They absolutely have to have the carbs drained if they are going to sit for more than a couple weeks. They gum up easy.

It is a awesome site, the FAQ is the place to start. If you read all of it, you will know more about the bike than the techs at the shop.
IF it is new or used with the stock tires on it, remove them immediately. They are junk. Very dangerous. The lose traction easily and do not regain it. I used avon super venoms but they quit making them. The avon road riders have a good rep, perrilli sport demons are good, metzler lazertechs are nice as well. Just dont ever use the stock tires. They are horrible. They are not confidence inspireing, and can cause bad wrecks.

If you can find a ninja 500 rear shock, it fits like stock but has adjustable preload. I got mine from ebay for 25$ delivered.

Galfer stainless lines make the front brake kick ass, and loses that iffy feeling.

Valve adjustments are easy and detailed on the site.

Fix the tires and the brakes and it is a much more capable bike. As a matter of fact you will find yourself wanting to ride it alot. It is so nimble.

Anyway I loved mine and miss it.

S

sportrider

thanks for the info on the Ninja I was looking for different tires but the only ones in the stock size I could find were the stock dunlopes. did you change the size you ran on your Ninja?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the fact: making an U-turn is a bitch. When I was in driving school I did those like thousands. And I did them quite well IMO. But after I got my own bike I haven't been practicing much. So slow turns are equally bad.

What comes to the faster turns, right is easier for me. I've heard a lot of people saying that turning left is easier and turning right is harder. But I'm left-handed, so no wonder... That's about only explanation I've come up with so far.

OT. What is a chicken strip? Is it that little metal knob pointing down from the end of the foot peg?

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike today while practicing 18-20 foot U turns in a parking lot. It was almost the perfect way to have crash. I was fully geared up, was going about 6 mph, I hit on my padded knee then onto my back, my bike did not fall on me and best of all, there were no witnesses because I felt really STUPID. My bike suffered a few scratches. I think I will invest in some frame sliders before I do that again. BTW it was a right U turn that did me in.

W

wrightme43

Sorry man. I got those extended length alum. sliders from ebay for like 18 bucks. I drop tested them as well. They work real nice.

S

sportrider

I dropped my bike today while practicing 18-20 foot U turns in a parking lot. It was almost the perfect way to have crash. I was fully geared up, was going about 6 mph, I hit on my padded knee then onto my back, my bike did not fall on me and best of all, there were no witnesses because I felt really STUPID. My bike suffered a few scratches. I think I will invest in some frame sliders before I do that again. BTW it was a right U turn that did me in.
that sucks, the dreaded right u-turn.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site

Did much the same today outside my Mum's house: 3 or 4 mph RH U Turn, the old girl was stood in her driveway & I looked over to see what she was doing - That's when the old motorcycling adage kicked in 'Look where you want to go & the bike will follow' I looked 90 degrees right & that's where the bike went, only going so slowly the bike just folded under me.

Bar ends, brake lever, front indicator & mirror scratched, but the judicious application of some wet & dry paper, metal polish or black paint has cured the worst of it. However, I made a right mess of the pick up rotor cover.

I know it's shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted, but I think I'm going to have to get some frame slider too!

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont feel bad about dropping your nikes, it happens to everyone at some point and is nothing to be ashamed of. I dropped one of my bikes about 2 years ago. I forgot to put down the kickstand and i just got off and started walking away and heard this loud thud behind me. Do damage was done and it taught me a lesson. From then on, i have never turned off a bike until the kickstand was down. Now it is a habit and i never even think about it.;)

CC32

Reaction score
Visit site
Dropped Mine Too

I dropped mine too doing a right u-turn! Only had the bike 3 weeks. I was using the clutch to control speed and must have stalled when I re-engaged it, slamming me to the ground. Won't try that clutch thing again.

Bike damage was minimal. Tiny scratch on the bar end and a bent foot peg feeler. Damage to me was a little worse, sore leg, hip, and neck, along with a badly bruised right foot. Small scratches on the helmet show that I must have hit my head going down, explaining the sore neck.

I immediately bought and installed Motovation frame and rear axle sliders, and ordered some Sidi B2 boots. I'll take all the protection I can get.

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my new bike Sat, and ordered sliders this morning. My son dropped it last night pulling into the garage. Painted floor, turning and hit the brake. No damage to the bike. Still putting sliders on before we ride again.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
At slow speeds I'm good either way but being 6'3" helps. At street speeds I'm also fine but prefer left handers because I rather not slide into oncoming traffic. On the track, I definitely have more experience with right-handers due to the typical layouts but always look forward to left-handers because they are so rare.

I am working my way down further and further. I will scrape pegs soon.

What type of tires do you have? The tire's profile will have a large impact on the lean angle at which you run out of tire. Have you removed your peg feelers?

I used to work on leaning off, till a old timer told me freaking stop. I was going to get in over my head, hanging off is for the track.

Translation: the cornering speeds that REQUIRE hanging off are not appropriate on the street. Not to mention, you're way more committed when hung way off.

Sorry man. I got those extended length alum. sliders from ebay for like 18 bucks. I drop tested them as well. They work real nice.

Post pics! How do you think they would fair in a laydown at speed? Longer is generally better for p-lot tipovers but worse for anything at speed.
________
DEPAKOTE WITHDRAW

Last edited:

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding the Dragons Tail (US 129) and noticed that I lean more into my right turns (I have the chicken strips to prove it). Im left handed. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but Id say Im better at left than right......and that's probably not saying much.....

:)

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say that my left turns are better because then I can easily manipulate the throttle when that end of the bar is out away from me. Slow turns are much easier now that I tightened up my throttle, the way it came from the dealer was way too loose for my liking.