Which is the best way to turn off my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay....I hate to add to this thread, but I feel I have some actual help...

I turn my bike off with the kill switch or kickstand (and glide in and drop it on the stand...) :)

I do this because I live where temps are over 100*F for a lot of the summer, so I want to give the engine a chance to cool down with the fan. If I turn off the bike with the key, this doesn't let the fan stay on (as far as I can tell.)

Then if it's really hot, I start it again and let it cool down with the coolant running through the engine. Then turn it off with the key :)

If I just turn it off with the key to start with, I wouldn't have know that it needed to cool down.

Ben

DazSpy

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I'm mainly posting to get my posting numbers up and I feel I deserve to do this because I actually read all the way through! [takes applause]

lol

I have been riding for about a month now and the closest I have to an opinion on this thread goes something like this

remember to stop!! okay that done, stop grinning [look cool], kick down side stand....doh the engine is off! [dammit again, nxt time neutral before....bleh bleh @#~!]

D :ban:

castor

Reaction score
Visit site
The Manual says that kill switch should be used only in case of emergency (like vehicle overturns or when throttle cable is stuck, page 3-6 of the manual) and during the ignition circuit cut-off system check-up (as noted on pages 5-1 and 3-13 of the manual).

So, factory people say not to use the kill switch except in emergency conditions AND during the system check-up which should be done EVERY time before engine start (page 5-1, warning)...

Following that logic I don't see any logic in NOT USING kill switch in normal everyday usage, 'cause it certainly has the same role as the key thing...

My choice is kill switch... :thumbsup:

buzzard breath

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use the kill switch and have left the keys in my bike at least 3 times. Ran the battery down 2x. Good news is that it push starts easy.

BELGICAN

Reaction score
Visit site
In relation with the topic, I would like to know what is the red blinking indicator with a key icon for? Pardon me for my ignorance.:confused:

Last edited:

oxx

Reaction score
Visit site
Our local Yamaha bike vendor suggested to use kill switch every time i shut down the bike, so that's what i've been doing for two years already and nothing is broken or damaged!

B

bluenova

I use my key if I'm stopping for good as I'll be taking the key out anyway, but if I'm stopped at a level-crossing (train crossing) and such like, I will just use the kill switch, mainly because it's easier to reach sitting on the bike with my tank bag in front of me.

B

bluenova

[SIZE=\"3\"]In relation with the topic, I would like to know what is the red blinking indicator with a key icon for? Pardon me for my ignorance.:confused: [/SIZE]

It shows you that the immobilizer system is working, so the bike cannot be started without the correct coded key (programed by the red master key). I think it stops blinking after a while if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.