Which Helmet?

rwb

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my fz6 a year ago, I also bought an ARAI Quantum II helmet. For a year, I loved it...comfortable, quiet, good quality fit and finish. Then one day when I lifted the shield at a stop, I heard something pop and the shield did not want to move smoothly. One of the pod covers had come away from the helmet and the shield would no longer work properly. But hey, this is an expensive helmet with a 5 year warranty, so no problem, right? Well, no response from email to Arai USA warranty people (there is no Canadian website). The store I bought it from offered to sell me parts (oh thanks! :cheer:), and their distributor for Canada said 99% of the time this is the consumer's fault for not lifting the shield properly :liar:. Well, as it so happens, I do know how to operate a shield properly, so I am offended by this and I don't think I should have to pay for parts when this is clearly a design fault.:disapprove:

I decided to give Shoei a try, and I bought a rf-1100. It is not as quiet as the Arai, but nothing that some earplugs can't fix. The ventilation is clearly superior on the rf1100 (one reason why it is not as quiet as the Arai), as is the shield holder design (all of which is clearly visible through the shield, and removal and replacement is a snap compared to the Arai). The rf1100 also covers your chin, whereas the QII has this silly little vinyl extension (chin spoiler?) that you pull down for riding. The rf1100 is has recesses across from your ears for comm speakers (the other reason why it is not as quiet, I think). In all, there is a quality to the Shoei that surpasses the Arai. The thing that disappoints me the most is that no one would stand behind Arai's "warranty" here in Canada, and that is unacceptable for the price (~$460 for each of these helmets). Just thought that anyone shopping for a new helmet should know about this.

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The new SNELL standard will have almost no effect on you Bouncing, since you live in the U.S. Here is a quote taken from this webbikeworld article.
I was wondering about this link you shared, I tried to read it but got about half way through my eyes glossed over and I had no idea what they were telling me. The charts didn't seem to make much sense, is there a translation for this please? I have wondered about how offten you should buy a new helmet due to new technology coming out and standards being imporved upon.

Thanks for the other links too. I really like the other one you posted for webBike World and the Motorcycle Closeout site.