Which Helmet Shield?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So I commute to and from work every day and many times am faced with a low blinding sun as I ride in around sunrise and home around sunset. I have a Joe Rocket RKT101 helmet and am currently using the plain clear shield which is great for most riding scenarios other then direct sunlight.

I just went on eBay to see what other visors were available and was blown away by the variety. I saw anti scratch, anti fog, iridium, silver, amber, dark tint, light tint, pink tint, orange tint, etc. At this point I have no idea what to get.

What I do know is I want a shield that will give me better protection from the sun but will not blind me in darker daylight situations. Of course if I am going out for a night ride, I will simply swap in the clear one.

Suggestions??

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used an iridium blue and an iridium silver with grey tint. Like the blue better but did kind of mess with the colors. Currently have a Shoei with a pinlock visor and have the grey and clear inserts. Love the anti fog capabilities of the pinlock. would love to have a iridium visor though

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the light smoke tint for my Shoei. Works great and can even see in the dark for a short ride home.

Sunglasses are another option with a clear shield.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
icon w/a medium smoke with anti fog. You can do a night run but switching out is best although not always an option.

When I stepped away from the clear to this - my face was no longer getting cooked so it must have UV protection too.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get this tint strip called speed tint from FogCity. It fits on the inside of your helmet visor and acts like an extra pair of sunglasses. At first I didn't like it, it seemed a bit too restrictive untill I rode into the sun, that with a pair of sunglasses worked great.

Doc

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make your next helmet a Shark Evoline Series 3 helmet with integrated sunvisor. (can't forget it or leave it at home!)

I've got the Series 2 and it's fantastic - and this coupled with the ability to swing up the chin bar when paying for fuel, use an ATM so you don't have to take it off etc. makes this helmet highly recommended by me!

Check it out!

Cheers,
Rick

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys, and that Shark helmet is very cool!

I am leaning towards either the rainbow iridium finish or a light smoke. I feel as if the light smoke is probably the most versatile, but the iridium will still provide sun protection and looks so dope!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my free dark smoke shield for the RF1100. Love it. Only have the clear for comparison, though.

I'm a bit light-sensitive so I require more tint than most. Still wear sunglasses in cloudy/lower light conditions. My morning commute (just after sunrise) is dark shield only. Afternoon commute is sunglasses and dark shield.