Which foot do you put down when stopped?

How do you stop and cover the brake? (muliti choice)

• Left foot first and go straight to cover brake

Votes: 124 78.5%
  • Right foot first, get balanced then cover rear brake.

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I am right side dominant

Votes: 36 22.8%
  • I am left hand dominant

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I stand at a colosal 5'6" maybe 5'7" in my boots lol. I have a short inside leg 29". My body and arms are regular. YepI know what your thinking, freak of nature lol.
I too am a freak of nature. I have a 31 inch inseam and stand 5'7". Well, I was that tall. I am 51 and have shrunk about a 1/4 inch. But, that loss was in my spine and not my legs. We all shrink as we age ( unless you live in space ;) ) But, you know being short is not all that bad. I have never been in a bed, car, motorhome (caravan), chair, or anything else that has been too small for me. And if something it too high for me to reach, I can always get a ladder or, better yet, I call my tall son in to get it down for me!!!!:p Disadvantages? I actually have found a couple of motorcycles that I cannot safely reach the ground when I am on them! Riding them is no problem, I just can't stop unless next to a curb!:eek:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on which hand you flip off with. It looks and feels better to flip off with your right hand (if right handed) while having your left foot planted.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
tolgatt's description in #5 fits me to a tee. That's the way I've done it for 32 years. I always go to neutral for a long stop, and it's left foot down on the short ones.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I just passed my DAS test in December and I was taught to cover the brake. I've done it all the time so it's pretty natural now. As has been mentioned before, I usually hold the clutch and stay in 1st at most lights since none of the lights in London seem to stay red too long. (Except the roundabout by Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace)

taco

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually put my left foot down but not always. I don't cover the brake. I put both feet down leaving it in 1st watching in the mirrors holding the front brake until a car is stopped behind me, if the car doesn't look like they are going to get stopped which hasn't happened yet I am ready to pull out between the other stopped cars. then if I expect it to be a long light I put it in neutral and take both brakes off, and sit both feet down. there is plenty of time to get it into gear when it turns green.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually put my left foot down but not always. I don't cover the brake. I put both feet down leaving it in 1st watching in the mirrors holding the front brake until a car is stopped behind me, if the car doesn't look like they are going to get stopped which hasn't happened yet I am ready to pull out between the other stopped cars. then if I expect it to be a long light I put it in neutral and take both brakes off, and sit both feet down. there is plenty of time to get it into gear when it turns green.
In the UK I was taught that if I was going to be in 1st gear for more that 10 seconds it was time to switch to neutral. I have no idea why?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK I was taught that if I was going to be in 1st gear for more that 10 seconds it was time to switch to neutral. I have no idea why?

Because your hand gets tired after this! :) :thumbup:

You can remain in 1st for as long as you want really, but if there are enough cars behind you which have stopped then you can give your hand a rest and put it into neutral and just wait for the Green and Amber lights to come on...giving you enough time to get back in gear before the Green lights up on its own! :) Then floor it! :) :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
FZeeez, sometimes I have both feet down, in neutral with both hands in jacket pockets....for the relaxation. Meanwhile, I keep an eye on the relevant cross traffic signal lights and anticipate when my light is going to turn green. Of course, I'm also evaluating if it's going to be safe to proceed once it turns green. If it is, often I'm gone before others stop picking their nose or wake up. I'm 6' tall.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was paying attention today to this (this forum has taken over my life) and i definitely favor putting my right foot down first.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I thought I was the only one. I thought it was just something that I had to get used to. I have even sorta kinda mastered letting the front brake out a little while giving it some throttle on small hills. So yeah, I hear ya. Right foot down then I usually stand up and shuffle my feet a bit and if am on a hill I will roll back and throttle forth kinda like in a car. Weird.
jfz6

sifr

Reaction score
Visit site
I put my left foot down first, followed by my right. I can flat-foot the bike, so I'm usually stopped with both feet down (unless I'm on a hill; then the right foot stays up and on the rear brake).

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the ('07) fz6. After an awkward period, I'm now getting the downshifting done en masse before I stop (the tranny downshifts MUCH better when the bike is moving), then coming to a stop still looking up, and lightly putting the balls of both feet to the ground. My 32" inseam can barely flatfoot the bike, but that's less of a problem if I keep the bike balanced, and the balls of my feet seem to do it best.
p.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do any of the choices. I slow down with both front and rear brake, then apply front only to come to a final stop. When I come to a stop, I place both feet on the ground at the same time.

When I take off, I place both feet back on the pegs immediately. Why use only one leg when you have two (at least hopefully two).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do any of the choices. I slow down with both front and rear brake, then apply front only to come to a final stop. When I come to a stop, I place both feet on the ground at the same time.

When I take off, I place both feet back on the pegs immediately. Why use only one leg when you have two (at least hopefully two).
I think its just the different way our respective countries teach. I was thinking about this again today. I remember also being told that I would fail my test if the cluch was engaged for more than 10 seconds whilst at a standstill. So it was very much stop. Select neutral. Cover rear and front. Shuffle legs, select gear and then take off.

Nelly