Where to you guys draw your power

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Where to you guys draw your power for your GiPro and various other goodies. I'd rather not have it drain while off so I have it going to the rear brake light.
And a Moronhealer is on it's way so I don't have to do math while riding.;)
Any other bright ideas where I should clip into?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I took it off the rear light and if you want it not to overload the circuit, run a relay off the battery, through a 30amp fuse, stuff will be powered when the ignition is on. If you want,you can set up a hot terminal block off the relay. Or, without switching thru the ignition run a terminal block via 30 amp fuse off the battery then a fuse to each thing you run, the 30 protects the whole cicuit each items fuse covers that piece of gear. Some will say its overkill W/E, the advantag is you can wire a battery tender connection into that circuit, beats lifting the tank!

Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Throw a STSP (single throw single pull) switch on there. I don't know how many amps your gopro runs at - but you may want to throw a fuse in there too.

Its easy pie to wire. + to +, - to -, and run it out to your fuse (wired in the same fasion), then to your go pro - doesn't matter where in the circuit.

Good thing about the switch is it has access to the voltage of your battery, but without the switch flipped to On, the circuit will be open and won't use the voltage to create amps, until you close the circuit by flipping the switch - aka you won't drain amps with it off.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
My question to you is, how are you going to charge the GoPro when its in the housing?

I ran my radar detector to my parking lights...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can run a power relay direct from your battery. When the key is on it supplies power. When the key is off the power is disconnected from the battery. you can power heated accessories, cell phone, GPS....

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Direct from the battery with a 12V power outlet. If I was worried about accidentally leaving something plugged in I would run a relay to the running light wiring so the outlet would only have power when the key was "ON".

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting one of those adapters to turn the battery tender cord into a 12v socket.. hopefully that will work... something about getting a 10amp fuse in there or something...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran a direct line from the battery (wrapped in heavy duty insulation) to a marine fuse block (one sides positive, the other negative). The fuse block is velcroed to the inner front fairing with a plastic cover. From there, each line is fused and goes to different accessories...

I wanted hot lines all the time (Stebal air horn is relayed, BMW outlet is hot all the time as is my GPS line. There's several extra lines for additional accessories.

As noted above, if you want it to turn off with the ignition, use one of the lines (running light, etc) with a relay.

I wouldn't overload and draw everything from one factory harness line... Heated clothing, the Stebal air horn pulls a fair amount of amperage..

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
My question to you is, how are you going to charge the GoPro when its in the housing?

I ran my radar detector to my parking lights...

I remember you can use an extended battery pack and connect the charging cable for the batterypack, with a special casing/housing.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 12v outlet hot wired to my battery. I did this to make plugging in the battery tender effortless. I have yet to forget about leaving something plugged in. I'm very consciousness about it, and even if I left my phone plugged in accidentally (or any accessory i use for that matter) I doubt it would drain the battery before I resized I forgot to unplug an accessory. I also installed a power distribution block for the other electric goodies. Followed these instructions pretty close. Motorcycle Power Relay and Distribution Block | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 12v outlet hot wired to my battery. I did this to make plugging in the battery tender effortless. I have yet to forget about leaving something plugged in. I'm very consciousness about it, and even if I left my phone plugged in accidentally (or any accessory i use for that matter) I doubt it would drain the battery before I resized I forgot to unplug an accessory. I also installed a power distribution block for the other electric goodies. Followed these instructions pretty close. Motorcycle Power Relay and Distribution Block | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring

That does work great but there is one reason I would like to have the power switched off through an active relay and that reason is for security. I can dump a battery through a low current drain and compromise many alarms. :)