Where to start?

Mohawk918

Reaction score
Visit site
So i just got my 2007 fz6 saturday. Im loving this bike but am already wanting to upgrade it and mod it. So im asking is where should i start? Should i go for looks or performance and where? So much i can do to it i just dont know where to start. I also dont want to spend a arm and leg to start off with so as cheap as i can go and then work my way up.

Here is what she looks like.....20150725_200320.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on your expectations and where you ride my first mod was to Fix the forks!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a loud horn and frame sliders. It looks like you already have aftermarket pipes. Get FZ1 bars and do the dual headlight mod after that.

Mohawk918

Reaction score
Visit site
well it has new brakes and yes it has two brothers pipes (the mufflers have a divit underneath them and dont know if this is supposed to be there. they are pretty uniform to each other but dont know if something hit them.)
I keep hearing about this dual headlight mod..... What is this?
Also i pretty much drive highway for 20 mins to work and back everyday. That other then a night ride every night is all i ride for now.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The Stebel Nautilus is a popular horn. I'm actually not sure where the stock horn goes as my bike came with a Stebel from the previous owner, but mine is tucked up inside the fairing on the rider's left.

Several people say the stock forks are under-sprung and under-damped. Forks from an 03-04 R6 are a relatively common upgrade and are not too difficult to put on the bike. I wouldn't say they're as important as some of the more safety oriented items, but they are still a worthwhile upgrade.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
You should really ride it for awhile first! You be be the judge. The options are almost unlimited. You will most likely discover things that could make you more comfortable, or improve the performance, or add to its functionality. Enjoy! You have a great bike, Goldilocks in metal.

Mohawk918

Reaction score
Visit site
You should really ride it for awhile first! You be be the judge. The options are almost unlimited. You will most likely discover things that could make you more comfortable, or improve the performance, or add to its functionality. Enjoy! You have a great bike, Goldilocks in metal.
good idea... although i am probably going to do the dual headlight mod and a better horn. Ill also put some leds on it for more visability at night.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow love the color! Didn't even know they offered it in the old school yellow. Judging from the picture those tires look rather old, you might want to start with those. You already have the pipes and tail tidy so that's done, that's one of the big ones. From a purely aesthetic view you could change the front turn signals to match the rears, some adjustable levers, and a smoked windscreen would really make that yellow pop! And if your new to riding definitely some frame sliders because chances are good you will drop your bike even if it's just a u-turn in the driveway.

Last edited:

WI_Webster

Reaction score
Visit site
oh wow this seems extremely challenging to me..... hmmm

bd43 will build the cable for you for a reasonable price - just send him a PM. The installation (part 2) shouldn't be too bad with the right cable.

I also agree with dschult2 - a smoked windscreen would be sweet! I have a puig which I love.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
whats wrong with the forks?

They have very limited damping control. I seldom do much slab time but in the twists the whole bike does this rocking horse see-saw action changing its line mid-corner if the road has any bumps or holes. Simply put, its unpredictable. Damping control makes it predictable and for me, much more enjoyable to ride.

At the bare minimum most replace the progressive rate springs with linear rate springs and heavier oil (Stock is 5wt). In addition, others add fork emulators for damping control, and some just replace the fork with adjustable ones. See sig for details.

Those who ride the canyons and twists are more apt to notice the shortcomings than those riding the highway I suspect.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a loud horn...and do the dual headlight mod after that.

+1 on the horn. I got the Stebel Nautilus Compact after a near miss riding to work. No problems since, nice and loud.

There are a couple of ways to do the dual headlight mod, search the forum. I think the second method was less challenging.

Also look into Hyperlite Flashing LED Aux brake light kit. Could save your bacon from a rear ender.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
now what horn should i get and does it just replace the one i have or do i install it somewhere else?

I replaced it with cheap horn found on ebay.
I was able to warn the cager coming into my lane at 75mph.

Planning to tap the wire and add the OEM horn along with it. I have stock exhausts for now.

But, any major mods, take your time, It is not a brand new showroom bike, so, get used to this one, create a bond between you and her. I have bone stock, rode around 4k miles in past 4 months, and I'm still satisfied with her performance. That's just my Opinion. :)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
good idea... although i am probably going to do the dual headlight mod and a better horn. Ill also put some leds on it for more visability at night.

Please visit my page for LED's underglow.
Contact your dmv for local/state laws on color restrictions and whether neon colors are allowed or not. They should allow, as it increases the visibility at night from safety point.