Where is this bolt from?

bdedeyn

Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought myself an '05 FZ6N and already rode about 2000km. I stumbled across this bolt stuck between my exhaust pipes and can't for the life of me figure out where it came from. Also, I don't see any of those big rings anywhere else on the bike.

Has anyone seen this bolt with big ring on his bike before? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

5f384d42b3ffb9cdd72b0d5b7903218d.jpg

9949af2cd30b4a108145e59858984bc4.jpg

9f27e5693dc6e9d52fc59e8f7daeb64f.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They are both still in place though.

It got lost and someone replaced it with a new one.

You can confirm and compare it to the bolts currently installed.
Those two bolts (with the large built in washer) are the ONLY ONES used on the bike (that I've found)

bdedeyn

Reaction score
Visit site
It got lost and someone replaced it with a new one.

You can confirm and compare it to the bolts currently installed.
Those two bolts (with the large built in washer) are the ONLY ONES used on the bike (that I've found)

The problem is, the bolts connecting the front of my tank to the frame are smaller and painted black. That could explain my paranoia though, and explain why I can't seem to find where this one came from.
The previous owner must have replaced them with black bolts and dropped one of them into the bike. I should have seen the bolt before though then, right?

Anyway, I'm a little less paranoid now. Thanks!

EDIT: I will post a picture of the current bolts when I got off work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is OEM and is not painted black.

I've never seen a black painted bolt ANYWHERE on the bike.

I suspect it vibrated loose, both were replaced by what you have there. The one you just found eventually vibrated down to the header..

You can order another correct bolt, see it's the same as what you found and replace it.
I would do this especially as the "new, black bolts" are shorter than what's called for.

Someone's swapped those bolts out, no doubt..

Really nothing to be stressed about, that's where it was originally.. Go ride!

Here ya go, the OEM bolt for your bike:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/90110-06079-00?ref=138257dab18213344794254f473abd12ead2639e

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost one of those a year after I got the bike. Was probably when I had the tank up to replace the spark plugs. Anyway, I ordered one at the dealer. When they came in (expensive) they were a set of black hex socket head bolts with black washers. I went to Lowes and got a pair of stainless bolts (hex socket head) w fender washers that have been doing great.

So, the prev owner might have lost one or more of the originals, then ordered replacements and received the black ones.

Like Scott said - go ride! or as Gary in NJ would say "fuggeddaboudit."

---Sorry Gary, Tom, Joe, and all my Jersey buddies, I couldn't help myself. By the way - I'll be visiting the Garden State this weekend. Granddaughter's 1st birthday!

Chris

bdedeyn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I'm pretty sure the bolt came from the front of the tank. There's still marks from the big old washer.

And no, the bolts that are currently there are not black. My memory is already fading and I'm only 25.
c3e2e19e08b507d1eaa984ac38d29799.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That big washer tends to help keep that bolt taught.

As it tightens down, it keeps a little tension on the tank mount.. But yes, you can see the marks where it once resided.

Quote: " My memory is already fading and I'm only 25. ".. Guess how I feel at more than twice your age.. :)