Where is the idle adjustment?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Here's a pic just in case. It's the screw circled in red. You don't need to move the tank to gain access, I had mine up doing something else to the bike.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, that idle adjustment screw....:rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I decided not to make an adjustment. I have a nice consistent, smooth 1100 rpm idle or so.

mgdaubo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

My 05 fz6 recently had low idle, around 1000 rpm when warm, it sounds sputter at idle and jerking at < 3000 rpm. So I adjusted the screw and with the screw all the way in, the idle raised up to 1200 rpm, the bike is a little smoother and the idle sputter sound is reduced a lot, but still I can't get standard 1300 rpm idle. What else can I check?

I am planning a TB sync, but will it effect idle rpm? basically what can cause my idle too low and can't be raised up by that screw?

Thank you.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

My 05 fz6 recently had low idle, around 1000 rpm when warm, it sounds sputter at idle and jerking at < 3000 rpm. So I adjusted the screw and with the screw all the way in, the idle raised up to 1200 rpm, the bike is a little smoother and the idle sputter sound is reduced a lot, but still I can't get standard 1300 rpm idle. What else can I check?

I am planning a TB sync, but will it effect idle rpm? basically what can cause my idle too low and can't be raised up by that screw?

Thank you.

Turning the BASE SCREW OUT (counter clockwise) maybe 1/4 turn, will allow you more adjustment at idle. Should help..

Adjust the other cylinders / screws to match.

You'll likely have to LOWER the main star screw as your re-adjust the base screw.

"jerking at 3,000" sounds like it's leaning out, the sync should take care of that.

Do you have the FACTORY SHOP manual? Follow it by the letter.

If you don't already have a manometer, I recommend a Morgan Carbtune. About $100, NO syncing of the tool, NO liquids to worry about.

My last sync after a valve adjustment with the Carbtune. Yamaha allows 10mm variance. I'm within about TWO mms tops..

mgdaubo

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One poster, not too long ago, had an issue.

There's 4 hoses, one for each TB your sync tool hooks up to. One of his hoses had a crack/ air leak in it (which will cause issues).

Pull the air box and carefully inspect those hoses while your there.

*That thread, he has many OTHER issues than you do. Adjusting that base screw out some should give you adjustment back, will be able to raise the idle, back the main "star* screw out. He had dropping RPM's among other things...

Do the basic's first-very likely it's your issue..