Where are the magnets installed? Picked up a nail Sunday, then again today.

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
So I would like to uninstall the factory nail magnets. I was unable to find the magnet locations in my owners or service manual.

Sunday on my ride, I picked up a brad nail. Today I picked up a roofing nail that took the bike off the road until the weekend.

Thinking Michelin Pilot Road 4's, since the bike will be a commuter/distance bike with time in the rain. What do you guys think? The Pilot Powers might be stickier, but I am going to be racking up the miles on this bike, and could prolly use as many miles as I can get from each set.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a PR2 on the front, a PR3 on the rear (a KEY took out the last PR2).

Can't comment on the PR4, but when I need new tires, its getting PR2's again. I've got 14,000 miles on the front tire currently, probably get another 3-4,000 miles...

Less edges to scallop.. :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying angel GT this time around. Haven't put but maybe 3-400 miles on it. Very good grip. The only time it slips is on bad surface roads.

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a PR2 on the front, a PR3 on the rear (a KEY took out the last PR2).

Can't comment on the PR4, but when I need new tires, its getting PR2's again. I've got 14,000 miles on the front tire currently, probably get another 3-4,000 miles...

Less edges to scallop.. :thumbup:

Can you get PR2's that haven't been on a shelf for several years nowadays? I normally try to get the tire that will wear out in a few years anyways to keep the rubber fresh.

Also, a guy I work with said that it was a common issue with wide tires, grabbing debris. Is there truth to that? I kinda thought it was bs, to be honest.

#justwidetirethings

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bunkka, is there some major construction near you, or on a route you take often (work, groceries, mistress)?
I've changed the gate I use to go to work (Hill AFB) because of this, the big "Falcon Hill" construction project has given me a flat on my beemer and on my Saab; that's enough, I'll drive a couple extra miles until the project is complete.

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
Bunkka, is there some major construction near you, or on a route you take often (work, groceries, mistress)?
I've changed the gate I use to go to work (Hill AFB) because of this, the big "Falcon Hill" construction project has given me a flat on my beemer and on my Saab; that's enough, I'll drive a couple extra miles until the project is complete.

Sadly, there is construction and the is not a mistress.

I will keep it in mind for future rides, though. It seems like they ramped up construction on two out of the three main roads around here, and I may be out of luck to avoid it altogether.

But, hey, if it is an excuse to search for new routes, I am game.

I will be on the sumo for the next week, it seems. Unless the tires magically come in Friday, and I can get them mounted Saturday. It's all good, though, detours with the sumo typically involve dirt roads and fields, neither of which have been throwing nails at me for the last year or so.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR4 on the back and a Pirelli on the front. So far the PR4 has been great. I have not had that tire in the rain yet.

This space intentionally left blank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you get PR2's that haven't been on a shelf for several years nowadays.

Apparently they still do, from Michelins web site (for our FZ, might be left overs, I'd give a call first);

MICHELIN Pilot Road 2 - Tires On-road | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website

IMO, If you have all that construction going on, I'd be plugging tires that are in decent shape until all that construction is done.

This is what I carry on my bike, under the seat (but they've upgraded the tool, mines plastic). Very easy to install to the plug, very effective too...

Dynaplug® | Products

Last edited:

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR4 on the back and a Pirelli on the front. So far the PR4 has been great. I have not had that tire in the rain yet.

Which model Pirelli? May copy you... :D

Apparently they still do, from Michelins web site (for our FZ, might be left overs, I'd give a call first);

MICHELIN Pilot Road 2 - Tires On-road | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website

IMO, If you have all that construction going on, I'd be plugging tires that are in decent shape until all that construction is done.

This is what I carry on my bike, under the seat (but they've upgraded the tool, mines plastic). Very easy to install to the plug, very effective too...

Dynaplug® | Products

That, is, uh, the perfect idea. I am not tearing up the streets, just commuting and getting used to the bike. I like that plug kit too. Just gonna find a CO2 kit to inflate the tire and I'll be all set.

I don't see construction ending any time soon, so plugs it will be!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Which model Pirelli? May copy you... !

My front is a Pirelli Diablo Strada, their sport touring tire.

This combo was not planned. I was in western N.C, when I noticed my rear was at the wear bars. So off to MR cycles. I told them I wanted a sport touring type of tire and PR4s were what they had.

I have had mismatched brands/types before, so I thought nothing of it.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been my experience that magnets come in brand new tires. :eek: (had a huge nail in a newly mounted bridgestone a few years ago)

Last edited: