When should I be in the 7000-10,000rpm range?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
tbh i don't redline it in first as it's a bit snatchy, once in second gear you can hit 80-90mph and be bouncing off the rev limiter. (fun when accellerating up to speed on a highway, or overtaking somebody)

you'd be surprised how much abuse you can give the throttle, you don't really have to worry about the wheel lifting up (as i found out the other day when my friend was tryin to teach me to wheelie, though i passed up a chance to try his superduke as the thing scared the crap out of me, especially with his hooligan gear ratios)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
No I must appease the internet beast! ;)

Is this what people get a "Power Commander" for? i.e. so they can adjust the power band? Or would this require "re-tuning" of the engine?

Lol I honestly ment that in a good way but no the power commander is just the name but its actualy used for adjusting your fuel on efi bikes after adding exhaust or what not on carbirated bikes you could just buy a jet kit but nowadays you have to have a computer, and also there is no real way to adjust the power band thats just the term to reference the way the hp and tq comes on vs the rpm, adding different parts or tuning will change the power band but its not as easy as just adjusting it

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
power commander will probably just help you smooth out a couple of flat spots in the power delivery (usually added by manufacturers to pass the emissions and noise tests), e.g. the one at 3k rpm

Shortybiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi HappyHighwayman,

I must admit, at about 20 mph I too have shifted into 2nd, I tend to ride in 3rd at 30 mph which is the normal speed limit in the UK for riding in residential areas unless there is a speed limit sign advising you otherwise. I will be changing up into 4th at 40 mph, 5th at 50 mph and 60 mph and over then up into 6th.

I find this gives me good throttle response, at 40 mph and in 4th mine is reving at 4K revs, so about the only time I'm in the rev range of 7-10K rpm is when I'm overtaking and want the acceleration.

Regards

AndyM

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I hit 8K + rpm couple of days ago, accidentally...man, that was FZ6 power that I never knew or felt before. NICE, I need to take her up there more often.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi HappyHighwayman,

I must admit, at about 20 mph I too have shifted into 2nd, I tend to ride in 3rd at 30 mph which is the normal speed limit in the UK for riding in residential areas unless there is a speed limit sign advising you otherwise. I will be changing up into 4th at 40 mph, 5th at 50 mph and 60 mph and over then up into 6th.

I find this gives me good throttle response, at 40 mph and in 4th mine is reving at 4K revs, so about the only time I'm in the rev range of 7-10K rpm is when I'm overtaking and want the acceleration.

Regards

AndyM

You would get a whole lot better gas mileage if you would take it up to about 7k at every shift until your at cruising speed, not saying to go full throttle to 7k but use as much throttle as you normally do just dont shift until its higher and you will see a good increase in mileage

Shortybiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi ChevyFazer,

I'll give that a go, I'm getting on average 53 MPG this is an imperial gallon.

Regards

AndyM

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
OP: Sounds normal to me...especially if you are under 180 lbs...no need to shift above 7,000 rpms to accelerate with the faster cars and keep up with traffic on the highway. When I ride easy and stay below 7,000 rpms I get 50-55 mpg combined and still have plenty of fun.

Of note....if you are a bit of a novice it's foolish to hit the twisties around 10,000 rpms...this bike is jerky on/off throttle and if you aren't smooth on the throttle mid-corner you can loose the rear tire. Much smoother in the twisties between 6,500 and 7,500 rpms

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi ChevyFazer,

I'll give that a go, I'm getting on average 53 MPG this is an imperial gallon.

Regards

AndyM

I dont know if your mileage would get any better but you could try. 53mpg on imperial gallons is pretty good

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I hit 8K + rpm couple of days ago, accidentally...man, that was FZ6 power that I never knew or felt before. NICE, I need to take her up there more often.

Choose you opportunities to learn about that power wisely. I don't mean to imply that you wouldn't anyway. The first time I ran it up to 11K at WOT, I thought I had awoken a demon that lived in the bike. (Country road, no driveways or turns for about a half mile. 2nd to 3rd to 4th up to around 110mph.) Now I feel pretty comfortable with it, but I'm sure to respect it. I virtually never go over 7K around town though. I'm slow and boring. But on the same roads, I virtually never get my car over 40. So maybe it's just my roads? :)

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I hit 8000-10000 rpm and more every time I ride my bike. That's where the fun factor is! It's usually for short bursts or quick acceleration to freeway speeds. Once that's outta my system, I tend to ride with the flow of traffic in a gear conducive to what mood I'm in.(Hmmm.... sounds like my bike is a great big mood ring)!

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
this will explain how to properly ride a fz6
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR_EtyXVPzc]YAMAHA FZ6 N FAZER C/ POWER COMMANDER NO DINAMOMETRO MOTONIL (Yamaha FZ6 dyno run)) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
what the heck is he doing at the very end, just bouncing it around 4-7krpms

maybe he used to own a hd ?

seriousely though, i rarely get over 7K, anywhere. not a racer, nothing to prove. i'm incredibly slow, and cautious. i just looked at some of my mph & elevation charts from "mytracks" that i log on my phone, for every ride. the fastest i've been in 3 months is 79mph. i can even tell you the day that was, and where: on ramp, 2 days ago.

shifting around 4.5K-6k = nice and smooth as long as it's not 1st to 2nd. i don't see a neeed in revving the piss out of it on the street. the fz has a ton of engine braking power, and hella lot of acceleration power. no need in breaking the rear tire loose (either way) on the street. just too risky.

it does a great job of eating up miles on any paved road. i'd like to keep it doing that.

the drz on the other hand, hits the rev limiter almost every ride. it's got dirty bike gearing though... so it's 'posed to. ;-)

Shortybiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi ChevyFazer & Grouse,

Yesterday I went out for a ride and I tried holding on to the low gear long but all I'm doing is taking it over the speed limit in the lower gear at around 6K revs so I don't see the point.

I did hold onto 3rd while overtaking a HGV, It had just turned left onto a national (60 mph) road and I turned right, I was in 2nd gear and drop in behind the HGV. I shifted up into 3rd following the HGV till I could confirm the road was clear and an overtake was on, I opened it up, staying in third and as has already been said she came alive.

Like ohgood, I've nothing to prove and I too am not a faster biker by any means but I like to be up at the limit if the weather and road conditions allow.

Regards

AndyM

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was mainly using 7k or 8k as an example but obviously you wont be able to shift at those rpms in every gear, basicly what I was getting at was if you short shift to take it up higher in the rpms before you shift "until you reach your cruising speed"-I figured that part was a given