when do i change tyres. distance or age?

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi . just heard that tyres should be changed every 6 years regardless if they are worn or not. any ideas?
thx
eli.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Whichever comes first!

I personally feel my life is worth more than risking it on 5+ year old tires to replace them in a couple months instead of today!

It's not so much that the rubber gets hard and won't stick as well on old tires it's the fact that old tires are more likely to rupture when you hit a pot hole or debris in the road.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no scientist or have any technical data but in my opinion, even 5 or 6 year old motorcycle tires, especially the performance that a FZ6 can produce is well beyond it's shelf life in terms of grip. We are talking about rubber, and you are on two wheels, not four. Factor in the production date rather than your install date, your tires are even older.

In my opinion, anything beyond 3 years you would probably notice a deterioration in terms of the quality of grip.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no scientist or have any technical data but in my opinion, even 5 or 6 year old motorcycle tires, especially the performance that a FZ6 can produce is well beyond it's shelf life in terms of grip. We are talking about rubber, and you are on two wheels, not four. Factor in the production date rather than your install date, your tires are even older.

In my opinion, anything beyond 3 years you would probably notice a deterioration in terms of the quality of grip.

Agree 100%. 3 seasons is my limit too.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be able to make a case for tires stored in a dark not too hot not too cold place could last for a long time. However there are only two small contact patches between you and bad stuff so I'd say when they get thin or are over 3 to 4 years old, it time to replace.

I've always spent good money on tires and brakes. If the motor quits you can coast to a stop but if the tires or brakes quit ....

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ask me...I still have the OEM Battlaxes on my FZ... (8000+mi on them and they look new but I know scientifically they are not) I did come across some Dunlop Q2s for $150 for the pair which was too good to pass up so maybe this season they'll go on

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My cage failed the last Safety Inspection because the tires were over six years old (the inspector showed me where the rubber was deteriorating, tread was fine). As motorcycle tires are so much more critical, I wouldn't go much longer than four either (sadly I'll have to buy new rubber before selling my FZ this coming spring, like I said I would last spring. But didn't. :rolleyes:

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
About 8 months ago I purchased an 06 with 460 miles on it. Went to two different motorcycle tires shops to have them replaced immediately. Both places inspected the tires and said they ok and to wear them out. So I put 5k on them and had them replaced with rp4's. Never felt good about riding on the old tires, couldn't wait to get rid of them. The new tires grip the road better even not being scrubbed in. The mechanic who installed the new tires told me that it would feel like a different bike. Man was he right. Now I go down the road not wondering if I going to have tire failure. Trust me it was on my mind ALL THE TIME!!! Just get rid of them and enjoy the ride and the peace of mind.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ1 with a five year old Michelin Pilot Road that was nearly new. That tire was scary beyond words. The slightest bit of throttle would cause the back tire to spin. Don't know if it's because of the age, or how it was stored, but damn...

Against better judgement, I put 14k km on it until it was worn out enough to replace. Words can't describe how happy I was with new tires.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a debate I myself am having. Like iviyth0s my factory Battlaxes look great, (no cracks, no undue wear, etc), but with nearly 6000 miles on them and approaching 5 1/2 years old, (and knowing how fast I go), I'm thinking of replacing both of them later this year. My old one's just look so darned good though....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a debate I myself am having. Like iviyth0s my factory Battlaxes look great, (no cracks, no undue wear, etc), but with nearly 6000 miles on them and approaching 5 1/2 years old, (and knowing how fast I go), I'm thinking of replacing both of them later this year. My old one's just look so darned good though....

Remember, it's all about grip. You must lean your bike whenever you corner which requires friction. Rubber beyond it's shelf life will not provide you with the proper amount of traction you may require, and as others have noted, confidence.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any new set of tires is cheaper than any crash. Less painful too.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So life has a less value than $300??? lol

As a teen in the farms we'd take these decrepit old farm vehicles out on the road on occasion. Most seemed to be outfitted with what we referred to as "MAY-POPS" as these tires, MAY POP at any time... And who knew what if anything really worked on these farm rigs!!? Anyway, the old farmers taught us to avoid trouble like inspections and what not but as I grew up I only changed one flat tire on my own rig in my 20's.... Yep, NONE POPPED! :thumbup:

On the street "TODAY", MayPops still come to mind!!
I say that as this tire (Pic below) made me think of the past even though it still has tread in the middle.

Point: its not worth dying for!
IMG_20130615_185014_871_zps5624e941.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So life has a less value than $300??? lol

As a teen in the farms we'd take these decrepit old farm vehicles out on the road on occasion. Most seemed to be outfitted with what we referred to as "MAY-POPS" as these tires, MAY POP at any time... And who knew what if anything really worked on these farm rigs!!? Anyway, the old farmers taught us to avoid trouble like inspections and what not but as I grew up I only changed one flat tire on my own rig in my 20's.... Yep, NONE POPPED! :thumbup

They ran those Maypop tires on the old Rolls Canardly's!!! :rolleyes:
Rolls down the hill Canardy get up....:rolleyes: