Wheelies and steering head coming loose

Screach

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with their steering head/ front forks becoming loose and causing a "clunking" sound when ever you hit little bumps. I like to do wheelies and I make sure I set her down nice and soft but I'm constantly having to tightin up the front forks and the steering head nut, otherwise I get this "ca-clunk" whenever I hit little bumps. I was told it was because the FZ6's forks weren't made for wheelies, so I was wondering if there was something I could do about it. Any suggestions?

W

wrightme43

What year is your bike?
Some of the older ones had a problem with steering head bearings.
Then again, you may of already figured out your problem.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be absolutly no help in the situation

I do wheelies everyday (as long as it isnt raining) and i have 12K miles on it. Sometimes its only one when i leae the house sometimes its 3 just before i get to work in the morning and i have had no problems thus far.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also thought it was me. When you are rideing and you hit bumps it goes clunk, i asked the stealer abd they said that my yolk nut was lose, so they tightend it and so far so good.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
A weak point..

This area is prone to failure. It appears to be that the lower seal doesn't keep moisture from getting past the frame, and this combined with the constant air flow causes the bearing to rust. I replaced the stock bearings with a pair of tapered roller bearings and a modified lower seal in May.

After traveling about 10k miles since replacement I inspected them 2 days ago. No rust, no wear, no problems.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I do wheelies everyday (as long as it isnt raining) and i have 12K miles on it. Sometimes its only one when i leae the house sometimes its 3 just before i get to work in the morning and i have had no problems thus far.

What's the wheelie technique for a FZ6? I have only ever done inches high wheelies in 1st gear.

Alos, is it advisable to wear brown underwear when pulling wheelies?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the wheelie technique for a FZ6? I have only ever done inches high wheelies in 1st gear.

Alos, is it advisable to wear brown underwear when pulling wheelies?

Very simple. First, make sure you have a designated place to do them. I live on a dead end street with only my house and my neighbor's house. Second, get going in first gear around 4,500 to 5,000 rpms. Once there, throttle off, then back on.

Make sure not to lean forward too much. The main mistake i see people doing is they want to lean forward instead of shifting their weight back.

Make sure you wear protective gear and dont do it until your tires are warm. other than that have fun.

Screach

Reaction score
Visit site
What year is your bike?
Some of the older ones had a problem with steering head bearings.
Then again, you may of already figured out your problem.

My bike is a 2006. I took it in 4 times because the loose steering head, they'd tighten it up but it'd only last about 2 weeks. When it came loose again, they said not to worry about it, and there was no harm. WRONG! This last time they went to tighten it, they found there were "grooves" from it being loose, they wrote yamaha and are replacing the bearings, adding "hopefully for free."

As for the Wheelie post, I get up to 20-22 in first, then I "slipper clutch" (that's when you pull in the clutch about a cm, just enough to dis-engage the gears, the front-end preloads and by the time it's bouncing back up your already on the throttle and droppin the clutch) It comes up very predictably and easily. I still haven't mastered changing gears while I'm up, I can ride them to about 45-50mph (about a hundred yards) before I run out of umph and slowly come back down. (I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck in neutral when I powershift [no clutch] and come down too hard).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,

have been practicing James technique. I found that I was not leaning back enough. so much better know. When you slip the clutch how much extra throttle are you giving it to raise the front. I did try this method, I have to say though that there was nothing predictable about the front coming up. I needed the buggerlugs patent wheelie pant after.

Cheers
NEIL

Screach

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,

have been practicing James technique. I found that I was not leaning back enough. so much better know. When you slip the clutch how much extra throttle are you giving it to raise the front. I did try this method, I have to say though that there was nothing predictable about the front coming up. I needed the buggerlugs patent wheelie pant after.

Cheers
NEIL

I guess whatever your comfortable stick with that, everybody is going to be different. I've tried doing James Technique "power wheelies" but I don't like how the bike heaves forward before coming up (feels like it wants to come out from under me, pulls on my arms), when I "slipper clutch" it doesn't heave forward, instead it stands right up and I have more throttle left in 1st to ride it a long way before I have to come down again.
Referring to "how much throttle I give it," I find I'm hitting the throttle a second before I'm releasing the clutch (keep in mind your only pulling in the clutch about a centimeter, just enough to where you feel you bike disengage) then get on the throttle right before your releasing the clutch. Its hard to say "how much" i'm giving it, I've never looked down at my technometer while I'm up, I suggest try a little then work your way up till you find your "sweet spot."
Referring to the "predictability" I think you may be panicing when it stands right up, or giving it to much throttle when you release the little bit of clutch you pulled in and then either backing off the throttle to fast or pulling the clutch back in which will cause your front end to come down hard. NEVER TRY TO "GO FOR THE GOLD" start little and work your way up, and finally do whatever feels comfortable and keep it consistant. Don't be doing wheelies at 10mph then 25mph, and then 20, cause what you do to bring it up at each of those speeds is going to be totally different. I keep it at about 22-24 in first, (right when you'd normally switch to second), but instead I just pull in the clutch just enough to where the gears just disengage(this process is QUICK, as fast as you can squeeze till it disengages and let go) then I get on the throttle (not to much, hard to explain in a message-but maybe 1/4 a rotation) if I accidently give it to much I just ease the clutch in just enough to come down a little and adjust my throttle position. I hope I didn't confuse everyone, like I said start small. Ride safe guys, and remember its better to be riding on two wheels then four cause you got too ****y!