What's your dream project?

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always had this weird desire to build a balls-out custom Honda Rebel.

One of these days when I have some disposable time and income, I'm going to search far and wide for the best near-scrap Rebel I can find for the lowest cost, fully restore it, then troll ebay for aftermarket. My goal is to make a super-practical, custom-looking bike with windshield, saddlebags, custom seats, and custom exhaust for less than $1000.

Kind of like this one where a guy took a beat up old '86 Rebel and made it look new.

So what about you guys? If you had the resources, what would you make?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a cool little project. I am not sure what i would build if i had the time and the money, but i have been looking at Motorcycle engine powered go carts online and they look awesome !!!

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a lot of work on my Aprilia Falco already, nothing immediately obvious though, but if you know the bike the more you look at it the more changes you'll see.

This was it a couple of years ago after a few early modifications, higher bars, OZ wheels:
a21.jpg

This is it now, cut the fairing and screen down and grafted the bottom end of a Tuono onto it, turned it into more of a cafe racer than a sportsbike.
farty8.jpg

I'd really like to do either a Fazer of a Triumph 675, take as much bodywork off it that I can and make a sexy little single seat streetfighter.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
My dream project has to be a hand made 1800 sq. ft. log cabin with loft. Build it with my own hands and not from a kit. Also, one side would be almost nothing but one giant window.

But i have a feeling you are talking about a bike :D.
That would have to be taking a silver '07 fz6 and swapping it out with a custom built R6 motor, silver carbon fiber everything, and stripping all of the aluminum parts and polishing them to a silver (engine, frame, subframe, wheels, etc.). Clear coat all the aluminum to keep the sheen. silver carbon fiber lower cowling. R1 seat with passenger seat eliminator. FZ1 bars with good levers, and also good rear sets. Silver tinted cut down windshield. Then to finish would be a purple led (under-lighting) set, a good tribal purple to gold flame paint scheme.

Probably something i am missing, but i think you get the idea

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I would build my own house. Buy me up a plot of land (at least 10 acres) and start digging. When the bones are put up and it's considered safe, I would hopefully do much of the finish work by myself (well, with Rob and family and friends who wanted to help), rather than paying someone else to do it. I have always wanted to do this, probably because I had an uncle who used to build timberframe homes, and used to work as a painting contractor as a youngster (high school) and got to do a lot fo finish work on jobs....

sorry it isn't bike related :)

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a lot of work on my Aprilia Falco already, nothing immediately obvious though, but if you know the bike the more you look at it the more changes you'll see.

This was it a couple of years ago after a few early modifications, higher bars, OZ wheels:
a21.jpg

This is it now, cut the fairing and screen down and grafted the bottom end of a Tuono onto it, turned it into more of a cafe racer than a sportsbike.
farty8.jpg

I'd really like to do either a Fazer of a Triumph 675, take as much bodywork off it that I can and make a sexy little single seat streetfighter.

That bike is gorgeous.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always had this weird desire to build a balls-out custom Honda Rebel.

One of these days when I have some disposable time and income, I'm going to search far and wide for the best near-scrap Rebel I can find for the lowest cost, fully restore it, then troll ebay for aftermarket. My goal is to make a super-practical, custom-looking bike with windshield, saddlebags, custom seats, and custom exhaust for less than $1000.

Kind of like this one where a guy took a beat up old '86 Rebel and made it look new.

So what about you guys? If you had the resources, what would you make?
This is what i'm making...http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/14094-i-bought-yamaha-xs650-chopper.html :rockon::D

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to do another bobber or streetfigher bike. I just sold this Nighthawk yesterday, nothing too crazy but I had fun messing with it. Now I'm looking for an older 77 or so Goldwing.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dream project.... I'd like to find a late 60's early 70's Yamaha RD 350 and turn it into a custom. I've always liked that bike and can imagine several configs in my head, some of which would really make people wonder just what the heck IS that bike? :D

RD350B.jpg

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I'd really like to build a streamliner for use at Bonneville.

Second to that, give me an old two stroke triple. I'd want to build a custom aluminum frame to fit me and me alone. Give it modern suspension, modern wheels and rubber, modern brakes, and maybe fuel inject it. A two stroke streetfighter would be a lot of fun.

Third to that, give me a Buell Blast. I'd set it on fire and drink beer while I watched it burn.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site

Second to that, give me an old two stroke triple. I'd want to build a custom aluminum frame to fit me and me alone. Give it modern suspension, modern wheels and rubber, modern brakes, and maybe fuel inject it. A two stroke streetfighter would be a lot of fun.

Third to that, give me a Buell Blast. I'd set it on fire and drink beer while I watched it burn.

This may make me sound very stupid, but can you fuel inject a two stroke? I would imagine that the oil/fuel mixture that the two stroke needs would foul the injectors rather quickly (20-800 miles is my best guess).

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
Since some guys are mentioning building houses, I may as well add that my other dream project is to build a tiny house like the Katrina cottages. I'd basically have a house built on top of a two car garage that had the bare-bones essentials of a kitchen, toilet, shower, bed, and desk.

It'd be like a vacation home where I could disappear to for a week.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
Since some guys are mentioning building houses, I may as well add that my other dream project is to build a tiny house like the Katrina cottages. I'd basically have a house built on top of a two car garage that had the bare-bones essentials of a kitchen, toilet, shower, bed, and desk.

It'd be like a vacation home where I could disappear to for a week.

+1 on that I would love to have that same thing . somewhere I can take off and have some peace and quite away from all the BS of everyday life would be real nice

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may make me sound very stupid, but can you fuel inject a two stroke? I would imagine that the oil/fuel mixture that the two stroke needs would foul the injectors rather quickly (20-800 miles is my best guess).

I think that technology exists. I am 99.0% sure there is a two-stroke direct injection system. The emissions are nill and the power is outstanding. There were some mock up photos of a new RZ350, looked very cool.

View attachment 17347

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good call on burning the Blast, what a POS.

See you at Lovejoy's in a few.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I would build up a 73.5 Porsche RS for the track. Full roll cage, coil over suspension, and all the goodies for the motor.

View attachment 17346

My family is kinda living your dream.....

we have a 79 911 Carrera that is completely built. Carbon fiber everything, Custom engine (High compression pistons, bored out dual sparkplug, new rockers, everything but the case), very large turbo, MoTec system, and a lot more. Just got it back from the shop after destroying a cylinder from a valve break. Had it re-dyno'ed at 783 WHP and 476 ft pounds of torque. I dont have pics with me here in Iraq, but i will see what i can do about getting some if you would like

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my brother's current project.it's a 94 civic SI hatchback. the engine is a J-dmn b-16a it was shipped from Japan with matching trans.he also did the suspension.the little car will put a huge grin on your face when you mash the gas!!:D:rockon: