What's your chain lube?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to bring back an old thread, but after reading through this I was amazed at the difference of opinions, even on the same product!

I was using a foam type lubracant that was messy to apply and even messier to clean up after it would fling nasty black goop all over the place. The brand name is escaping me at the moment, but this stuff was good for about 500 miles or so before I needed to reapply.

I just purchased a can of Maxima Chain Wax after reading mostly postive (albeit some negative) feedback and was wondering what everyones thoughts were a year after the last post.

What are you all using, and what are your thoughts on Maxima?

I use it/love it!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bel-Ray for me.....does not fling, so no dirtying up my polished wheels, etc.

Every 150km's, used sparingly...only one the "inside" of the chain, and not on the sides...

:thumbup:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Dupont Multi Use, applied every 1k km or whenever I'm not lazy. Chain gets a kerosene clean whenever I wash the bike which is maybe once every month or two.

OEM chain lasted over 50k km, second chain (DID 530VM) still looks like new and I just adjusted it for the first time the other day.

No need to go crazy on chain maintenance in my opinion

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Started using the Maxima and am very pleased. I only got to apply it one time, but it went on clean, and it stayed on. There was really no fling to speak of and I applied it very liberally. I would recommend it to anyone!

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
noob questions: i cleaned the chain with kerosene and a rag. i didn't have any lube on hand so am storing the bike sans lube for the moment. will there be any oxidation or other issues if i do not get to lube the chain until before i ride it next, say after a month? also, it sounds like lube should be applied to a warm chain so i am assuming that it's safe to ride it for a short distance after cleaning/before lubing - correct? finally, where do you actually lube the chain - bottom of slack, spray and rotate tire? thanks.:BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
noob questions: i cleaned the chain with kerosene and a rag. i didn't have any lube on hand so am storing the bike sans lube for the moment. will there be any oxidation or other issues if i do not get to lube the chain until before i ride it next, say after a month? also, it sounds like lube should be applied to a warm chain so i am assuming that it's safe to ride it for a short distance after cleaning/before lubing - correct? finally, where do you actually lube the chain - bottom of slack, spray and rotate tire? thanks.:BLAA:

I wouldn't let the bike sit with dry chain. There's a very good chance you'll end up with some rust spots and possibly tight links.

If you can't get your hands on chain lube now, I would lube it with any motor oil just to keep it from rusting and tightening up (but I wouldn't ride it like that cause it'll likely spew the oil everywhere).

When you do get chain lube, you will want to soak the chain in Kerosene again and get the motor oil off. Then go for a 10-15 minute ride to warm the chain up and finally apply lube.

I lube the chain at the slack (as you mentioned). Only need to lube the area between plates and rollers. I hold a paper towel under the chain as I spray it from the top.. don't want overspray on the tire.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't let the bike sit with dry chain. There's a very good chance you'll end up with some rust spots and possibly tight links.

If you can't get your hands on chain lube now, I would lube it with any motor oil just to keep it from rusting and tightening up (but I wouldn't ride it like that cause it'll likely spew the oil everywhere).

When you do get chain lube, you will want to soak the chain in Kerosene again and get the motor oil off. Then go for a 10-15 minute ride to warm the chain up and finally apply lube.

I lube the chain at the slack (as you mentioned). Only need to lube the area between plates and rollers. I hold a paper towel under the chain as I spray it from the top.. don't want overspray on the tire.

thanks. that makes sense. :thumbup:
i'm going to try to find some lube today and hope that no rust developed overnight. since i already have the battery pulled out at the moment, i'm planning on heating the chain with a blow dryer - any issues/pitfalls with that? how warm does the chain need to be? i could use a heat gun instead but would prefer to avoid if i don't need to.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks. that makes sense. :thumbup:
i'm going to try to find some lube today and hope that no rust developed overnight. since i already have the battery pulled out at the moment, i'm planning on heating the chain with a blow dryer - any issues/pitfalls with that? how warm does the chain need to be? i could use a heat gun instead but would prefer to avoid if i don't need to.

It needs to be warm to the touch.. not hot. I've never tried the blow dryer approach, but that actually sounds like a pretty good idea (say you're doing maintenance on a really crappy day.. don't necessarily wanna go for a ride just to get it done). I think I'd use a heat gun on low settings.. a bit more output than blow dryer, but not hot enough to melt the paint either.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
... i'm going to try to find some lube today ...

You can probably find the DuPont products, mentioned earlier in the thread, at Walmart and Lowes. (The tiny, two-shelf, motorcycle section in my local Walmart was hard to find at first. It was next to the fishing lures, not in with the auto parts. :rolleyes: )

Shop DuPont Teflon 11 Oz. Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant at Lowes.com

Walmart.com: DuPont Teflon Chain Saver, 11 oz: Automotive

Walmart.com: DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser, 11 oz: Automotive

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
100%Simple Green works great for cleaning. For lube I use PJ1. At 155 very little flies off.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
Maxima Racing Oils Chain Wax for the win. It goes on clear and turns into wax. Doesn't leave behind nasty grease marks that is a pain in the arse to clean afterwards.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
You can probably find the DuPont products, mentioned earlier in the thread, at Walmart and Lowes. (The tiny, two-shelf, motorcycle section in my local Walmart was hard to find at first. It was next to the fishing lures, not in with the auto parts. :rolleyes: )

Shop DuPont Teflon 11 Oz. Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant at Lowes.com

Walmart.com: DuPont Teflon Chain Saver, 11 oz: Automotive

Walmart.com: DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser, 11 oz: Automotive

thanks. picked up some dupont multi-use at lowes. since i had extra time, i took off the front sprocket cover as suggested by someone on the forum and there was definitely lots of gunk. talk about sticky icky! cleaned that off with the kerosene rag as well. i went with the heat gun but made sure the kerosene had enough time to evaporate beforehand. ;) think i went crazy with the lube because i wasn't keeping track of where i started lubing. i know - rookie mistake. gotta remember to wipe the excess off when i take it out next!

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
i have used rock oil chain lube and "castrol chain lube racing".
the rock oil wins hands down, its tacky, non fling and lasts for some time. the castrol on the other hand is ridiculously bad. i guess being a racing lube might have something to do with it. but the product goes on like water, doesnt harden and would literally leave me with a dry chain after a few days :(

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Scottoiler

MK7_4.jpg

After I run out of the bottle that came with the kit I'll be switching over to Chainsaw Bar and chain oil or regular old motoroil :)

0007874201583_500X500.jpg

Fling off doesn't bother me I get it with "canned" chain lubes too difference is the stuff in the scottoiler bottle and the bar and chain oil litterly wipes off with a dry rag so no biggie.

Last edited:

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every 1K I give special treatment, I clean up with Kerosene first and always use Dupont as easy to find in Lowes....
Every 500 miles just spray over the chain with Dupont....
BLINK BLINK BLINK...:BLAA:

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Biltema Chain Lube Extreme and it is dirty.
Lubes alright but it flies around big time. After lubing the chain you can be sure to have a major task of cleaning the grease off the rear wheel.
Also after riding in the rain the chain seems to have dried up pretty bad.
Definitely will try something different next.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Biltema Chain Lube Extreme and it is dirty.
Lubes alright but it flies around big time. After lubing the chain you can be sure to have a major task of cleaning the grease off the rear wheel.
Also after riding in the rain the chain seems to have dried up pretty bad.
Definitely will try something different next.

One of the tricks to a good chain lube starts with a good cleaning. Then go out an do a short 15 min. ride to heat the chain up. You will find that not as much lubricant is necessary to accomplish the task. I know I initially applied too much lube and dealt with a mess at the back end, but you will find and feel when you have applied a sufficient amount to accomplish the task.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
^Good point. I definitely believe less is more when done right.
One thing I haven't done properly so far is cleaning the chain but have been reading a lot about it on here.
I also recently started using my Trip 2 odo to keep track of chain lubing to have a systematic interval of some kind. Of course I keep an eye on the cahin as well and not just go blindly according to mileage. Especially since I ride to work everyday rainy or not.