What's considered high miles

Quick Cal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Looking for my first real modern bike. I've got a 72 and 73 Yamaha, and a 84 Goldwing that I just bought that I'm trying to get going.

Anyway. I'm thinking about a FZ6 for touring across country. Would this be suited for the job. Keep in mind I have not even rode the Goldwing, so I can't compare anything to that, and I just got it to flip.

The best deals in my price range right now is a 06 and a 08 both with right at 50k on them. This seems like a lot of miles to me. Would you be afraid of a bike with so many miles. The 06 is 2,000 and the 08 is 2200. I think that's too much. But I know nothing about these bikes.

What do you guys think. Thanks

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really this motor pretty bulletproof, but find out what has all been replaced on them (if they say) so you can idea of what likely will/could fail on you from such extended use, I'd say no worries on the drivetrain though.

millsd44

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of bikes on this forum have >50k miles, even some over 100k. As long as it has been looked after it's not a problem at all. And just by the fact that it has got there would suggest looking after anyway.

All depends on the bike, but generally as iviyth0s said, they're bulletproof! Check it out when you buy it and test ride through all the gears if you can listening for anything out of the ordinary.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Looking for my first real modern bike. I've got a 72 and 73 Yamaha, and a 84 Goldwing that I just bought that I'm trying to get going.

Anyway. I'm thinking about a FZ6 for touring across country. Would this be suited for the job. Keep in mind I have not even rode the Goldwing, so I can't compare anything to that, and I just got it to flip.

The best deals in my price range right now is a 06 and a 08 both with right at 50k on them. This seems like a lot of miles to me. Would you be afraid of a bike with so many miles. The 06 is 2,000 and the 08 is 2200. I think that's too much. But I know nothing about these bikes.

What do you guys think. Thanks

Hi, advanced welcome to the modern Fazer world;)
Im a new owner and got my 08Fz6-3200 miles for 3X00$
It came with two helmets(one being modular) two wonderful jackets, tank bag(Cortech micro 2.0), inspected one month before my date of purchase, everything stock and felt once at 10mph.
The reason I went for such config is that I don't have enough time/knowledge to work on the repairs, so I went for low miles.
I would suggest, be patient and hunt. I kept craigslist as my home page for 3 weeks. limited my search to year2008 and up, odometer 25000miles or less, price 6k$ or less.
I had nice range of vehicles in my area. Expand your search area.
Now when you test drive, I think you're already know how to but, I went through most YouTube videos on "How to buy motorcycle off of Craigslist", "what to check when buying used motorcycle" or similar videos and wrote a list(will share if interested) of things I have to check when buying the motorcycle.

Hope my knowledge helps you in any way. See you soon with your new fz6.

Happy Purchasing. Wish you good luck.

Quick Cal

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Would you say these 2 bikes are on the money. Or too much for that many miles.

I have a friend that has owned both a fz6 and a fz1. He said the handlebars vibrated. Is that a common issue with these bikes?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I have a friend that has owned both a fz6 and a fz1. He said the handlebars vibrated. Is that a common issue with these bikes?

Mine only noticeably vibrate around 85 mph and greater. It's not really a big deal, reminds me that I going way faster than I should be. Note that I have lighter than stock bar ends.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, mine vibrate when i go more than 90+ mph. So i purchased these grips and there are many other ones which are expensive and much more worth it. Some people use gel gloves too.

and the vibrations are there for the first week only, i already reached 250 miles within 2 weeks, i don't feel much of them.:D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: there are cases of "non-speed" related vibrations engine vibrations which may be what you're referencing. Most can be resolved with basic tune up process.

Most of these bikes should have upwards of 15,000 to 25,000 miles on them by now. The 04-05 even more. That said, adjust the price accordingly so you feel good about it.

Anyway; Generally speaking, things that get used can be in better shape than those which sit never being touched (neglected perhaps). It just depends if the owners prepared them for storage.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely pick the 08 vs the 06 since there are significant physical changes between the two, primarily the instrument cluster and front fairing and windscreen.

I guess I would be wondering what kind of maintenance has been done? Valve Check? Although it's suppose to be done at 26k, most were spot on and I actually had mine done at 70k, and it was off but not that severe considering the mileage. How old are the tires? Although it physically appears to be good, riders depend on grip, so anything past 3-4 years, it should be replaced. Replacing the oil and filter is a breeze. How does the chain and sprocket look?