what will replace the fz6?

fuzzylogic

Reaction score
Visit site
i've read rumors that this will be the last year of the fz6. whether this was confirmed or not i have no idea. the question i have is what will its replacement be like? do you think yamaha will release a more updated version of it and possibly call it something else or will it be a completely new bike with perhaps a different purpose/personality all together?

the reason i ask is at the moment i don't think i could ever ride anything other than a sport tourer (well maybe a daytona 675 :thumbup:). i really like the sporty yet comfortable nature of my fz6r and if the fz6 is pretty much the same package with more of everything (performance in general) then i would love to upgrade to one in a few years. however, if yamaha decides to axe it, do you think they will ensure that a viable alternative remains? i really hope so.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
if yamaha decides to "update" the fz6 by replacing it, i doubt they will remove themselves from the sport-touring market in that way. it woul dbe like getting rid of the r6 and not coming up with something new, or honda dropping the goldwing without a viable alternative

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If that is the case I think we have got the replacement already. It seems pointless making the FZ6 a 78 and 98hp bike.

So we have the R1,R6 and FZ6R. What a good way to tempt us to move up to the R1 and R6.

Steve

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If that is the case I think we have got the replacement already. It seems pointless making the FZ6 a 78 and 98hp bike.

So we have the R1,R6 and FZ6R. What a good way to tempt us to move up to the R1 and R6.

Steve

Well am with you steve. My next bike in the next 2-3 seasons will be R1 for sure or if I want to still have fun pushing the bike, will be the new Triumph daytona 675.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I see the point. Europe had the 78bhp and 98bhp FZ6 versions. Why? It seems they replaced the 78bhp by the FZ6R and introduced it in the US. My next is definitely the Triumph Daytona 675. I've even started looking for the used prices.

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Steve

I have already owned the R6, great bike if you only plan on riding on the weekend. A buddie of mine has a R1, the bike is a TANK!every time I have riding with the R1 or even a GSXR1000 it seems to me that thier great and fast in a straight line, and nothing but brakes:spank: in a corner. Not my style of riding.

since I already own a FZ6:rockon: My plan would be to keep it and then upgrade to a bigger touring bike maybe the FJR or BMWr 1200rt

View attachment 13078

View attachment 13079

this way on the days I want to ride with the boys:thumbup: the FZ6 hits the road, or the days the wife wants to hop on the back the BMW or FJR would be a much nicer ride, for the both of us:thumbup:

Just what I was thinking:eyebrow:
Dave

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My next bike will be an FJR (or maybe a C-14), but it won't be for a while.

I can understand their reason to scrap the FZ6 though. It overlaps a lot with two of their other segments. They want us all to start with the FZ6R, then get an R6, and then an R1 or FJR.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
I did some test drives on both the FJR and the BMW 1200RT last year. I really disliked the BMW. The Boxer engine, while powerful, causes a lot of shaking and vibrations. Sometimes it almost feels like you're lugging but that's just the vibrations. The suspension was really soft, however that's adjustable, so let's keep it to a mistake of the dealer to set it up properly. Then there's the turn signal, on a BMW that's totally weird, I reckon you'll get used to it. Then it's huge (although that's not an issue riding it) and rather "plasticy", so not my cup of tea. The FJR was much better in my opinion, but in the end a bit dull actually. I'll stick to the FZ6 for now, it's exciting and very practical as it's much smaller than the BMW and FJR. That's important to me as I also drive it in Dutch cities whith small street (like Amsterdam) and like to park it on the small pavements. Besides these and the Daytona, other alternatives to check out? There's a bike show in a couple of weeks, so I can check them out there.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know. FZ6 -> R6 -> R1 isn't really a natural progression.

I didn't buy the FZ6 because I couldn't afford or wasn't ready for a full on sport bike. I bought it because it really is the Swiss Army Knife it's cracked up to be. I can tear up the twisties one weekend. Commute back and forth to work every day during the week, then go for a 1000 mile tour the next weekend.

I wouldn't like commuting on a proper sport bike. And I would HATE trying to tour on one. The FJR is great for touring obviously, but it's too heavy for commuting and fully enjoying the twisties.

All that really matters is sales, right? Yamaha isn't in business to make me happy. I see a hell of a lot more R1's, R6's and FJR's than I do FZ6's. I have no idea what the true sales numbers are, but I'd be suprised if they favor keeping the FZ6 in the line up.

I hope I'm wrong. (well, sellfishly speaking, I don't really care. I plan on putting 200k on my Fazer. By the time I'm done with it I imagine there will be plenty of bikes out there (Yamaha or otherwise) that will make me very happy.)

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site

Steve

Really? I definitely hope not. In my area, the DMV considers the FZ6 to be a regular/crusier motorcycle. (registered is ~$550) R1 & R6 are classed as supersports (~$1200). This would be bad news if they phase out the FZ6, the DMV will have an opportunity to classify the FZ6R as a supersport. Besides, not all of us with FZ6 are speed freaks.

"This won't sit well mont senior" -Philip J. Fry

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given the popularity of the FZ6 and all of its variants worldwide, I would find it hard to believe they would drop such a great bike.

Bryan

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
Given the popularity of the FZ6 and all of its variants worldwide, I would find it hard to believe they would drop such a great bike.

Bryan

Yamaha has made a killing by offering an inexpensive sport/tourer in the U.S. When the FZ6 is discontinued, they'll likely replace it with another inexpensive sport/tourer. With the economy doing what it's doing, I expect that the frame and suspension will be a bit lower spec to keep costs down, perhaps with a full fairing to make it look sportier. See Suzuki's GSX650F for more information.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i can only see one reason to scrap the fz6, price.. you can't keep raising the price and expect that one day we will pay 11K for a fz6. they will probably let it go for a few mre years, and then introduce something a bit cheaper (maybe not quality cheaper) and then increase the price little by little each year. same goes for the rest of the product lines. at some point the fz6r will probably be beefed up enough where it would actually be able to compeate head on with the fz6. but by then the fz6 will have been fazzed out.

we will probably see the fz6 fazed out right when the fz6r make major improvments and changes.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
With the economy doing what it's doing, I expect that the frame and suspension will be a bit lower spec to keep costs down, perhaps with a full fairing to make it look sportier.
OR to hide the cheap frame and parts. Plastic is cheap, metal is not for them anyway.

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2c's - don't shoot me
We can only speculate what goes on in there heads (MAKE MONEY:keep sales going/make new customers/keep customers happy). Why FZ6R to US and XJ6 to Europe? (Don't know what we'll get in SA). I think they'll test the different counties, make the FZ6R available to Europe in future and the XJ6 the other way around. Then come up with a FZ6/FZ6R/XJ6 combination (faired & naked).

In SA its mainly about duel purpose, touring and 1liter bikes (not in that order). R1s, Blades, Gixxers, Dukes doing great, BUT during everyday travel the bike you see the most is the BMW F650GS and now the F800GS.

Alternatives for me: Seriously looking at the FZ1 or the Triumph Tiger, but do I really need a 1liter bike - price/consumption/insurance etc. The FZ6R is just what I need and unless I'm visiting the tracks (which I won't) it will be just as good as a FZ6 with a bit more styling.

ok 5c's

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de

Bryan

+1 from me. Here in Germany/Europe the FZ6 is the most (if not the most, then the 2nd most) sold Yamaha motorcycle in the last years. You often read this here in motorcycle magazines. The FZ6 has the reputation that it can all. Sport, touring, good price, good to high quality components, reliable. I don't think that they drop this model so fast. I think before they drop the loves FZ6 mainstream bike here in europe, they would have other models that they would drop first.

BR
Robert

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know.. this really has me thinking.. i mean come on.. we are all right.. the fz6 has seen alot of popularity world wide.. this forum and others are the proof..

but it has me thinking about some of the old great bikes i have had the pleasure of seeing on here.. im sure at some point the fz6 will be axed and they will make other bikes.. i do believe that it will be the natural progression.. just because the fz6r came out and it (in my opinion, so others please dont take offense) sucks balls and looks like a suzuki 650f i think it is.. or whatever that fully faird bike is.. but that might not the bike that is geared toward "us". hell they might axe the fz6 and come out with something that beats the pants off it that has adjustable this and that.. and im sure then we can all agree that it is bad ass.. but until they do.. we just have to learn to live with some changes that will be comming down the line.. i mean really. i "MIGHT" keep my fz6 for life.. but honestly. whan im being really serious with myself. no. it'll probably end up being sold. probably will hate my self and some day buy a old or new one. but for right now.. i dont wnat anything else and as far as im concerned. yamaha can do whatever it wants. I have my 6. its paid for. dont owe you yamaha people anything, unless i need parts..so really. who cares.. :thumbup:

although if the engine died at some point. i dunno what i would buy. nothing else really catchs my fancy. :thumbup:

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
LERecords totally agree with you BUT:
I'm bikeless at the moment. Had to sell my FZ6 S2 in December :banghead:, loved it and if I still had it I would not care to have something else soon. In the next 3 months I'll get myself something new and then had to make a choice. The history if our 600cc engine could not be overseen.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Would you stop bashing the GSX650F already...It is a great bike and got multiple great reviews by reputable magazines. Don't look at its specs - look at the package after you ride it.
Anyway, I agree that I don't think Yamaha will be fast to drop the FZ6 - only in the US. It sells in the US for a whole lot less than in Europe or even Canada. The investment in design is done, so the only way I could see them dropping it is if they are loosing money on it (which could be the case in the US). It is truly underappreciated in the US.

As for the FZ6R, it will be successful here. It is smaller, appeals to a larger market of women and new riders (the biggest market now), has good specs looking at them by themselves, and looks good. It also appeals to those people who want a full fairing (look at how many SS are sold here and mostly to unexperienced riders)