What tools to carry?

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a full sized tool kit at home, but I'm not much of a wrencher. However, I am curious what tools (sizes and types) one should carry with one on a road trip assuming you have room for a reasonable amount. I have the basic FZ6 tool kit under the seat but I assume there are some better ones I should always ideally have with me.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
A roll of duct tape and a pair of channel locks and you can fix anything....lol....but seriously duct tape

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The toolkit that came with the bike for starters.. I would add some channel locks or pliers of some sort, duct tape as mentioned above, zip-ties are always useful, pocket knife. I dunno if you are considering these as tools but a tire pressure gauge and tire repair kit are a must on a trip. Flashlight. I'm sure there is more I am forgetting.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 10" crescent wrench, 8/10/13mm wrenches, and a Crank Bros bicycle multi tool, cuz it has Philips and flat screwdrivers and is smaller than most folding hex sets. Also got a Leatherman Wave, CO2 inflator, and a few 12g cartridges for it. All but the crescent fits in a little tool bag I picked up, under the seat, I just need to add something for the front axle and something to plug/patch tires, and I think I'll have just about anything I could expect to fix on the road covered. :D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
wrap some duct tape around a wrench for a small roll.

i like using metal wire instead of zip ties. with pliers from a multi tool you can twist the ends together.

loctite.

jb weld.

spare levers and pedals.

tire plugger kit.
pressure guage.
air pump. those are kind of big for under your seat tho.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
Think of it this way.
In the field, you should be able to:
- transfer gasoline from bike to bike
- fix a flat tire
- loosen and tighten screws, nuts, bolts
- plug leaks
- fix and diagnose electrical wires

- fix with tape, zip tys, or wire

Anyone can carry 20lbs of tools. To have all the tools in a compact lightweight package takes experience and skill. Cross country dirtbike riding has helped me with that.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
cell phone
credit card

If you're real paranoid, a SPOT. :D

lol.
There is something to this though- roadside assistance. I have it through Progressive and its only about $10 a year. I already had to use it once in April of this year because my Ninja picked up a piece of metal in the rear tire. Plugging it wasnt an option because it was a HUGE hole. Called progressive and they took care of everything- had a flatbed come and take my bike to the shop. Didnt have to pay a dime. I was alot more confident having it during my trips over the summer. I wouldnt rely on it 100% but its nice to have something incase you are really screwed.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have a full sized tool kit at home, but I'm not much of a wrencher. However, I am curious what tools (sizes and types) one should carry with one on a road trip assuming you have room for a reasonable amount. I have the basic FZ6 tool kit under the seat but I assume there are some better ones I should always ideally have with me.

I'd start by copying the kit that comes with the bike, with higher quality tools. 6 point box wrenches, rather than 12 or 18. A small cheap multi meter is a good thing to have. A spark plug socket, with the 6 point head, that fits the front axle would be a cheap and wise addition.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a leatherman, electrical tape, zip ties, tire plugs, and the factory tool kit. For everything else there is CAA/AAA

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Allan keys, head lamp, Fix a Flat, recovery on the insurance. I've used the insurance once. I was out on the middle of no where and cut a tire. Couldn't be repaired. Called.them up, they got a fix on me via the cell signal and sent a truck out. Not bad.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do pretty much what OMG_WTF and Motohead do, that's right on. Beyond fixing a flat or replacing a fuse or bulb, there isn't much I'm going to do on the side of the road. If you crash, you might need some way to attach things that fall/break off your bike, so duct tape, bailing wire, and zip ties are always in my bag.

I love the gas transfer thought, having a tube would be an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of it.

Also, I carry diagonal cutting pliers to have some way to remove a nail/screw from my tire. Didn't see that mentioned yet.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
To transfer gas:
Pet**** access- Large zip lock bag
No pet****- tube stuffed inside handlebars with removeale bar ends.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something else I have under my seat is an LED headlamp. Hellgate mentioned this a while ago so I got one and put it in there. If you've ever tried to work in the dark and hold a flashlight with your teeth, you will appreciate how good of an idea this is!