what octane do you use?

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
The one on the left

3540905281_2de288ce5c_b.jpg

:justkidding: I always use 87 and have never had an issue after 13600 miles.

Is this pic correct? Do you Yanks still use leaded in your tank?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this pic correct? Do you Yanks still use leaded in your tank?

No. Only racing fuels in the USA are leaded. All road use fuels have been lead free since the early 1970's when catalytic converters were made mandatory.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
95 octane for 5 cycles, and 100 octane(when im feeling rich) for 5 cycles because of the extra cleaning agents (shell vpower racing, or BP ultimate)

there isnt any lower octane rating in greece anyway

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wondered. A fueling station has 1 hole in the ground which a truck fuels the station. So how does the fuel get separated coming out?

Actually you are close to the truth, Mulder would be proud.

There is one fuel delivered to the stations, octane is added at the pump as an additive or as part of an additive mixture. Sometimes this mixture contains detergents as well. But the base fuel you get is the same for all grades*.

*per station, Shell is still Shell, Mobile is still Mobile. Manufactures still produce their own blends for the 'lowest' grade and then add octane at the pump.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless your engine is pinging there is no good reason to use a higher grade gas than the mfgr recommends.

Tim

This is not 100% true. Mostly true, but not 100%

I run regular about 80-90% of my fill ups but premium 10-20% of the time. The reason for this is manufacturers (of oil/gasoline) put better detergents and additives in their premium line of fuel so it helps lubricate and clean the fuel system. I feel that is a pretty good reason. :D

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
i always run premium 93 octane in my bike. it runs beautifully, and i get pretty good mileage off of it. i've been very hesitant about putting anything less in it.

W

wrightme43

I run 87 and always have

Can someone teach me how to notice/identify when there is pinging/knocking??? I've been hearing about it since I was a kid but can't say I've ever actually witnessed it.

It sounds like a metal rattle in the engine. It is usally when going up slight hills under steady throttle or light accel. You will hear it obviously if it is happening. It is very rare now.

W

wrightme43

Actually you are close to the truth, Mulder would be proud.

There is one fuel delivered to the stations, octane is added at the pump as an additive or as part of an additive mixture. Sometimes this mixture contains detergents as well. But the base fuel you get is the same for all grades*.

*per station, Shell is still Shell, Mobile is still Mobile. Manufactures still produce their own blends for the 'lowest' grade and then add octane at the pump.

This is not correct. There are three tanks for gasoline. It is not blended at the pump. It is seprated at the refinery (different boilpoints and pull off temps) blended at the tanker fill station (additives are added at this time as well) shipped to the station and dropped into tanks.

(I used to work on gas tanker trucks and went to the Roxanna Shell refinery many times to load trucks)

Summer gas is different than winter gas. There are many many factors that go into a making a effective fuel blend.

High octane fuel provides no benifit to our high compression small piston engine. High octane fuel provides a huge benifit to high compression large piston engines.

My little 2.4 liter 240 sx with high compression has a short stroke and huge pistons. It requires high octane fuel and will preignite on regular or midgrade.
My little .6 liter fz6 with a 65.5 mm bore and short 44.8 mm stroke does not preignite on regular fuel and can receive no benifit from premium fuel as it runs perfectly well on regular.

Now when we get to talking about fuels without ethonol in them THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont run alcohol in your fuel unless you have no choice. Its bad. Its mandated by our idiots in power but its bad. Very little energy and it binds with water.

If premium in your area is with out alcohol and regular has it you will notice a change in power with premium, you will notice that same change if you travel to a area without alcohol and buy regular.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Wrightme43 for that! I really raised my eyebrows about the "octane being added at the pump." I worked years at a gas station and we never did ANYTHING like that!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
This is not correct. There are three tanks for gasoline. It is not blended at the pump. It is seprated at the refinery (different boilpoints and pull off temps) blended at the tanker fill station (additives are added at this time as well) shipped to the station and dropped into tanks.

I remember it being that way in the transition between leaded and unleaded fuels. I was recently told that it was mixed at the pump. It seems I was told wrong?

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I buy 95 all the time.
We can get 98, but the bike runs fine on 95 ... why spend the extra money.

I think 95 euro is about 91 us octane.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually it must depend on the pumping station, since my Uncle's garage and most others get two fuels pumped in, 87 and 92/93. 89 Octane is a mix of both to get the 89 octane. Most of the stations around here are like that. All our fuels around here are 10% Ethanol now.

What does piston size have to do with octane requirement?

Since everyone has opinions without any hard facts, if your bike runs good on 87 awesome! Mine ran like hell above 10,000rpm on 89 the one time I tried it, granted this is with a PCIII, so I have been running 91 Sunoco with no issues.

W

wrightme43

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~shih/eml4421/students'%20web%20pages/combustion%20chamber%20design/Combustion%20Chamr%20Design.ppt

Fil's Auto Corner: Gasoline FAQ

United Engine and Machine Co.

Gasoline FAQ - Part 3 of 4

Dynamic CR

See here is the thing the people that designed the engine did so with the understanding that is needed to make peak power, and run perfectly on 87 octane gas. They used some pretty complicated calculations to determine piston size and shape, head combustion chamber size and shape, plug placement, depth of the electrode, swirl, and timing. It works perfectly well with 87.

If you really want to know what piston size has to do with the octane rating please read the links, or do some research on your own. Engines are really really neat. I have posted all this stuff before though.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting discussion. We have 3 grades at most pumps here...87, 89, and 91 octane [(R+M)/2]. The 2007 owner's manual simply says to use 86 or better, and that gasahol is ok so long as it is no higher than 10% ethanol. Likely our FZ6 would see no advantage to high-octane rated gasoline as knocking typically occurs in vehicles under heavier loads. However, once the mileage gets up there and the engine has some deposits, a higher octane may be better. Not many bikes get to that point, I think. So, likely regular unleaded 87 octane gas with or without ethanol is probably all you need.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Here where I live, (at 2600 meters above sea level) the regular fuel is believed to be 83 octane and premium to be 88.
And now with 10% ethanol!

Talking to different mechanics, the agreed tha I could use 60% regular and 40% leaded aviation fuel (110-120 octane). Not more than 60% leaded av fuel, because of lead, it would damage your O2 sensors!

Well, I like to go in the high revs.... and I do 220kms with a full tank until it hits reserve, with regular fuel.

Last weekend I tried 60% regular 40% av fuel...
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
Besides the 310 kms for the tank under same driving conditions, I would say 10-15 hp gain....
WOW!!!!
and for the money! cost benefit same distance for the same money, and hp increase ALOT!
I forgot to mention I have a cat eliminator, so cat won't be damaged!

Oh!!! and at the exhaust output, there is like white poweder, which is perfect ful burning!

again, WOW!

Last edited: