what octane do you use?

and1zeuss

Reaction score
Visit site
I had always put in premium in the past. I just bought an 05 FZ6 and the manual says regular is ok. Just wanted to get an idea of what you all do, and the benefits if any. Thanks for your input.

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
I always believe in just doing what the manual says. The manufacturers will always err on the side of caution in order to protect themselves. So, if they say 87 is fine then that's what I do! Now I have heard or running a higher octane in a tank or two to solve problems.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I had always put in premium in the past. I just bought an 05 FZ6 and the manual says regular is ok. Just wanted to get an idea of what you all do, and the benefits if any. Thanks for your input.

Unless your engine is pinging there is no good reason to use a higher grade gas than the mfgr recommends.

Tim

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I always had slight pinging with 87 and I switched to 89, the bike runs much smoother and I get better fuel milage compared to the 87.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to assume they do it different down under...

You might also notice that the bike runs worse if your state includes 10% ethanol in the mix...

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The one on the left

3540905281_2de288ce5c_b.jpg

:justkidding: I always use 87 and have never had an issue after 13600 miles.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
93 every time, in every vehicle

I keep a log of my gas mileage and found I get better gas mileage when I use 93 octane over any other. Plus the only place around here that sells non 10% ethanol is Shell, which is also one of the only places that sells 93.

The bike runs smoother, i go further, and it feels right to treat her right and feed her some quality fuel, not just the garbage that everybody uses in their Ford POS's.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I always believe in just doing what the manual says. The manufacturers will always err on the side of caution in order to protect themselves. So, if they say 87 is fine then that's what I do! Now I have heard or running a higher octane in a tank or two to solve problems.

Doesn't the book say to downshift at 15mph? no matter the gear your in.