What luggage melts?

ieatredmeat

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for soft / semi-soft luggage options for my 2005 FZ6. I've been searching around the forum and can't see any consensus.

I'm sure that our undertail exhaust can cause heat issues. (FWIW, I have TB slip-ons) ....So, has anyone had any tail bags or saddlebags that have shown heat damage. Dramatic pics welcome :scared:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I melted a connecting strap on my old Nelson Rigg bags. It was running underneath the cans, and I rode for 3 hours straight up to VT before pulling over for gas and noticing the melty ends dangling on both sides. -shrug- Didn't neeeed that strap anyway. Otherwise they were fine.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I'm looking for soft / semi-soft luggage options for my 2005 FZ6. I've been searching around the forum and can't see any consensus.

I'm sure that our undertail exhaust can cause heat issues. (FWIW, I have TB slip-ons) ....So, has anyone had any tail bags or saddlebags that have shown heat damage. Dramatic pics welcome :scared:

Umm I don't think you have to worry about 'melting' the luggage!

First off, the stock exhaust cover on the FZ6 is made of PLASTIC! yes, that's right, plastic - not metal.

I have basic Joe Rocket textile saddlebags that come very close the the exhaust and never experiecend any melting issues - with stock and my TB cans.

As for the tail bag....if a tail bag is in danger of melting, then your seat would have melted ages ago - long before any tail bag (or passenger) sitting on top of it would!!

The only "heat damage" I've seen on any of my luggage is from the sun.

So relax. You are not going to melt any luggage.

ieatredmeat

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm I don't think you have to worry about 'melting' the luggage!

First off, the stock exhaust cover on the FZ6 is made of PLASTIC! yes, that's right, plastic - not metal.

I have basic Joe Rocket textile saddlebags that come very close the the exhaust and never experiecend any melting issues - with stock and my TB cans.

As for the tail bag....if a tail bag is in danger of melting, then your seat would have melted ages ago - long before any tail bag (or passenger) sitting on top of it would!!

The only "heat damage" I've seen on any of my luggage is from the sun.

So relax. You are not going to melt any luggage.

Thanks boneman, voice of reason

trougnouf

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode from Ft Lauderdale (South Florida) to Atlanta Georgia with my friend on the back, she was carrying our stuffs in a duffel bag on her back.

In the middle of the night, past the state border, I got pulled over while speeding as usual.
The cop pulled us over to let us know that he couldn't see my license plate and he noticed something strange about the bike

Turned out the duffel bag slipped a little down, the heat of the exhaust went through the whole bag and exit on its other side, the only reason we didn't lose our burned down stuffs were because everything that couldn't burn melted down and glued it all together. The plate couldn't be seen because some melted substances (including the exhaust plastics themselves) had made their way down to the (fenderless) plate.

Don't underestimate the heat of our stock exhaust!

Last edited:

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech Sport saddlebags and tail bag combo and have not had any issues with heat from the exhaust. The only slight problem I have had is where the neoprene(?) back panel rests against the exhaust covers. It has slightly discolored the plastic but that's it. I have had these on the bike for some 5 and 6 hours days and never had an issue. I would imagine it heat was going to be an problem, it would have already shown up.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy some of this and stick it to the underside of the bags if you're worried. Very cheap and easy to use. I'm buying some for my next tour.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing I've had is a similar story to trougnouf where I was taking my wife to work and she had a laptop bag over her shoulder. The ride wasn't very far but it managed to melt a hole in the bag (the laptop was safe)

I've also lost a strap to my saddle bags because they got to close or something, but those were just the rubber snap straps that hold it in place. It was a configuration error on my part. :spank:

In my opinion as long as you stay away from the actual ports and don't let anything hang over your seat you should be fine.