What would you buy?

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I just sold my trusty SV650S. I'm going to use some of the money on stuff for my new steed (2009 FZ6N).

At this point I'm torn between buying a slip on exhaust system or a bunch of bits and pieces.

My main reasoning behind a slip on is to make the bike louder for safety reasons. I live and ride mostly in Sydney and feel that a loud bike is a safe bike in traffic. The negatives? I actually don't like the look of any of the after market pipes compared with the neat and tidy stock standard. The price.

The alternative to buying a slip on is a leather jacket (I currently have a textile all seasons jacket with elbow and shoulder armour but don't feel it offers as much protection as leather).

I could do with another pair of riding pants (ie. Draggin etc.).

I could do with a luggage set up for small trips away like maybe a tail pack and tank bag? Don't want a fixed luggage system like Ventura etc.

So if I don't get the slip on, I can probably get all of the above. What do you think? Can anyone recommend good light luggage options for the FZ6 (without fixing anything permanent to the bike)?

What do you think is a better choice for improved safety? The slip on, or the leather jacket?

Thanks for your input!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
exhausts don't really make it any safer, if they don't see you they probably won't hear you either. Money would be better spent on training in that respect.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, I'd either update your gear or go for the aftermarket pipes...

Folks/cages do indeed hear you (a safety issue) and most aftermarket pipes IMO do look much better than the stocker. Their lighter, not as hot as the stocker either.

You will certainly enjoy riding the bike more as the sound of the engine is completly different and "sings"..

Another opinion: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/46443-damn-you-townsend.html

My SS Scorps:

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
exhausts don't really make it any safer, if they don't see you they probably won't hear you either. Money would be better spent on training in that respect.

Agree 100% :thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The only thing that the exhaust does for sure is make you loud and annoy others.

Leather makes you less likely to get road rash in a crash and luggage makes your trips easier.

As you start to get older you realize that safety and convenience beats loud and flashy especially when it comes to spending money. Of course it does nothing for your ego.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd add that i have aftermarket pipes on my bike, because I like the sound.

anecdotally when I was hit by a car, I was riding a brightly coloured sports bike that was fairly loud and had no baffle fitted

as said though, buy an exhaust because you like the sound, don't count on everybody hearing or seeing you

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the two-bros pipe on my bike, and it's LOUD... well at least for me. I also ride fairly regularly with my Dad (rides a goldwing 1500) and brother in law (2001 kawasaki concours 1000) who both tell me they can't believe how awesome the bike sounds without it actually being annoying when following me. They like it, I like it, it offers no real safety benefit in my opinion. But it cleaned up the tail. :)

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely upgrade your gear first. You can also drill out the baffles in the stock exhaust and make it a good bit louder if you like the look of the stock exhaust but want more sound. I did this and put the money towards other things such as heated grips, FZ1 bars, Puig windscreen, and Rizoma signals, among other things.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the training.

However, it obvious you've never ridden a bike with aftermarket pipes.. I'm in my 50's, have nothing to prove but wanted to hear my engine as the bike was so friggin quiet..

As a consequence of installing my Scorp's, others around you generally CAN INDEED hear you and thus, know another vehicle is around... I can be behind someone, (playing on their cell phone), at a clear intersection (and they can go but are distracted), give it a rev or two, and their moving....No horn needed... If they hear you next to them, their not as likely to change lanes either, thus you don't get to break in all your new gear and visit the hospital...

Its definitly not obnoxious until you wind it up....

However each is entitled their opinion.. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable input.

The reason I believe a loud bike is safer is simply down to experience as a driver. When I hear the loud bike approaching I'm glad it gave me warning so I can check for it and keep out of it's way. I have also watched non-riding drivers do this as well - when they hear that sound of a motorcycle approaching, they start looking in their mirrors, thinking to themselves "where is that bloody wasp..".

At this stage I think I'm leaning toward buying a bunch of gear. Also, I was thinking about some steel brake lines for the front. And has anyone replaced the front brake fluid reservoir with a clear plastic one? The window of my stock reservoir is completely opaque and I cannot see the fluid in it.

Cheers Dan

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable input.

The reason I believe a loud bike is safer is simply down to experience as a driver. When I hear the loud bike approaching I'm glad it gave me warning so I can check for it and keep out of it's way. I have also watched non-riding drivers do this as well - when they hear that sound of a motorcycle approaching, they start looking in their mirrors, thinking to themselves "where is that bloody wasp..".

At this stage I think I'm leaning toward buying a bunch of gear. Also, I was thinking about some steel brake lines for the front. And has anyone replaced the front brake fluid reservoir with a clear plastic one? The window of my stock reservoir is completely opaque and I cannot see the fluid in it.

Cheers Dan

I haven't any experiance with the master cylinder change but you will feel a very noticable difference with the SS brake lines....

IMHO, the brakes, especially with the SS lines work very well. I would look towards finding a new to you, used stock one in the "For sale" section...

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
My vote goes to saftey and rideability. Brake pads, SS lines, suspension work, leather, or even tires.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Btw I agree loud pipes can help you get noticed, but I don't rely on them, it only takes one dozy twunt to ruin your day/year/life

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
loud pipes dont save lives. good riding saves lives. of course they can help others be aware, but any false sence of confidence on a bike is a bad thing, i ride like there are targets all over me.

as far as what to do
- a good textile jacket will do just as much for you as leather on 99% of occasions, if the sleeve rolls up, no difference. impact, no difference. if you slide for 75 feet, assuming its not a meshy, no difference.

-pipes are expensive for this bike. unless you just want to hear it better for yourself, they wont do much for you. maybe lose 5-10lbs and .134hp but really? come on

-if you want to be heard get a loud stebel horn. 250db is louder than any exhaust on any bike. learn where your horn is and practice using it when practicing emergency maneuvers.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm mainly a lurker these days but find people's claims that a loud exhaust has no safety benefits amusing.

Using the basic logic already presented in this threat, ie people who like myself DO actually use their sense of hearing as an additional form of awareness, notice loud vehicles, even those not visible in mirrors/without a head check.
So we can already prove that being loud does increase awareness.
Loud pipes are also great when commuting through high pedestrian traffic areas. Someone in a car might not hear you, but pedestrians do and I can't count how many times I have seen pedestrians hear me and double check crossing the road.
Also kids love waving at people with loud motorcycles, waving back helps create road awareness and a bit of community spirit towards motorcyclists, rather than leaving everyone thinking we are speeding ratbags.

On to the other side of these peoples argument: "It won't ALWAYS help. Don't rely upon it." Wow that is useful advice... just because you have a high vis vest on and a bright coloured bike doesn't mean someone won't run straight over the top of you.
Leathers won't provide any safety benefit unless you crash. The same goes for all the gear.

And yet people still buy these items on a 'What if' basis.

No one is suggesting a loud exhaust is a replacement for a brain (well except those suggesting it can't be - as though this is what anyone is suggesting).
No one who has any concept of safety will ever suggest that ANYTHING can remove the need to be 110% vigilant at all times.

So to recap, saying a loud exhaust has no safety benefits is both impossible to prove, but has been proven by many on this and other forums through personal experience. The fact that you don't use hearing as part of your defensive riding is worrying in fact.

Also congrats on your new gear!!
Check out exhausts in America if you are still looking, I got a set of M4s for my FZ6 a few years ago for about $600 delivered to Aus. Lots of really good bargains around if you look and contact the sellers via email about making an offer.

A louder horn is a good idea, but unless you want to ride around with it on all the time an exhaust is pretty much the number one modification most people make to their bike. No one wants to be riding around on something that sounds like a lawn mower :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm mainly a lurker these days but find people's claims that a loud exhaust has no safety benefits amusing.

Using the basic logic already presented in this threat, ie people who like myself DO actually use their sense of hearing as an additional form of awareness, notice loud vehicles, even those not visible in mirrors/without a head check.
So we can already prove that being loud does increase awareness.
Loud pipes are also great when commuting through high pedestrian traffic areas. Someone in a car might not hear you, but pedestrians do and I can't count how many times I have seen pedestrians hear me and double check crossing the road.
Also kids love waving at people with loud motorcycles, waving back helps create road awareness and a bit of community spirit towards motorcyclists, rather than leaving everyone thinking we are speeding ratbags.

On to the other side of these peoples argument: "It won't ALWAYS help. Don't rely upon it." Wow that is useful advice... just because you have a high vis vest on and a bright coloured bike doesn't mean someone won't run straight over the top of you.
Leathers won't provide any safety benefit unless you crash. The same goes for all the gear.

And yet people still buy these items on a 'What if' basis.

No one is suggesting a loud exhaust is a replacement for a brain (well except those suggesting it can't be - as though this is what anyone is suggesting).
No one who has any concept of safety will ever suggest that ANYTHING can remove the need to be 110% vigilant at all times.

So to recap, saying a loud exhaust has no safety benefits is both impossible to prove, but has been proven by many on this and other forums through personal experience. The fact that you don't use hearing as part of your defensive riding is worrying in fact.

Also congrats on your new gear!!
Check out exhausts in America if you are still looking, I got a set of M4s for my FZ6 a few years ago for about $600 delivered to Aus. Lots of really good bargains around if you look and contact the sellers via email about making an offer.

A louder horn is a good idea, but unless you want to ride around with it on all the time an exhaust is pretty much the number one modification most people make to their bike. No one wants to be riding around on something that sounds like a lawn mower :p

Couldn't have said it better myself... :thumbup: