What kind of tires are on your FZ6?

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Im looking at tires, wondering what is the best tire for "millage" and stick. I want something that will last a long time but still stick really well. Im new to Sportbikes, Ive always been a Dunlop guy with Motocross, but this isnt dirt! All responses apreciated very much from all you experienced FZ6/Sportbike riders.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what's left of my BT-016 Pro after 4500 miles. No track days. Front will go another season I suspect as it looks good!

GREAT TIRES! STICK like glue, turn in sweet, brake good, feel awesome, roll smooth, run out = Zero, warm up quick and wear down quick! Better their life than MINE! It might seem like a waste but I'll likely burn another down until the front is gone! I paid $188 for the set last Christmas!

I'm thinking it has couple rides left but the wear bars are there!
View attachment 44998

Conclusion: Perhaps this is What NOT to get. . .

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact - huge mileage, and stick like glue!

Won international tyre test, the best wet weather grip in the class - definitely the BEST tyres I've ever had.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: See sig.....

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have pirelli diablo's I think, they are a dual compound tire, sticky in the center and stickier on the sides. great so far but I've only had them for 700 miles

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have run Bridgestone BT-023 for the past 16000 miles. I get about 6000 for each rear and 9000 for each front.

I don't have any problems keeping up with the guys on sport compound tires...just ask around.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the pilot road 3's as they have great wear and are good in the wet (as I commute, almost all year round, and Holland has more than it's fair share of rain).
Here's a german test (highly respected here) comparing the "touring tyres". As Mave says the Metzeler are the best in the wet, but if you go for these make sure you get the newer "Metzeler roadtec Z8 interact M/O", according to the test the "M/O" indicates the newer tread pattern (in germany anyway).

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I got 11000 on a set of 023's the rear is fairly cupped now but think I can make the rest of the season with them.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just replaced the rear (Dunlop Sportmax Q2) with a Michelin PR2. Front tire still has plenty of wear left, so kept that. Had the local shop mount and balance, and the mechanic didn't use a single weight. He said he rarely sees a tire and wheel perfectly balanced unweighted, but this one was!

"Scrubbed" the rear, then went on a 1200 mile round trip to Vermont and New Hampshire, twisties galore along with plenty of slab high speed traveling.

Maybe it's a combination of my Dunlop being squared off a bit or just the tire itself, but WOW, what a difference. I can get into those corners effortlessly now, and hit a much higher lean angle. This tire sticks like glue! Love it, love it, love it. And no wobble or noise at high speeds either, very smooth ride.

I did plenty of research, and you won't find too many people unhappy with the PR2's or PR3's on any forum or tire review page. Most seem to get between 5000-10000 miles out of a rear PR2.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's a combination of my Dunlop being squared off a bit or just the tire itself, but WOW, what a difference. I can get into those corners effortlessly now, and hit a much higher lean angle. This tire sticks like glue! Love it, love it, love it. And no wobble or noise at high speeds either, very smooth ride.

Same with my previous tyres! I'm amazed how much better the Metzelers feel in the corners - it's amazing what you get used to, with your old tyres! (although I'm wondering whether it might be these new, different tension bands, in the Metzelers?)

I did plenty of research, and you won't find too many people unhappy with the PR2's or PR3's on any forum or tire review page.

Whilst there does seem to be a majority happy with their PR3s, there a have been several reports of the PR3s delaminating and explosively decompressing. (with chunks apparently coming off the tyres etc)

Guaranteed to ruin your day!

The Pilot Powers had the same issue, and Michelin recalled them, but they appear to be trying the 'head in the sand' approach with the PR3s. (except for the big-shot lawyer they contracted to hush it all up)

I haven't heard of any difference with the Metzelers, or of this R/O moniker, so please supply any details you can find. (I'm wondering if it's a German specific thing?)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...........I haven't heard of any difference with the Metzelers, or of this R/O moniker, so please supply any details you can find. (I'm wondering if it's a German specific thing?)

Cheers,
Rick

Rick this is a translation of the paragraph I took it from:

Wet test: (91 points, No. 1)
With significantly increased silica content, the wet grip of the Z8 in the specification M/O has improved significantly compared to the standard version. With maximum traction when accelerating out of corners, and the very broad border area it reached in our test not only the highest speed through curves, but also the best deceleration values

and on another page, the wet test:
Conclusion:
No, the Michelin Pilot Road 3 has not become worse and continues to be a guarantor in the wet. But the competition has caught up, especially Metzeler, who made the Z8 Interact in new poll (ID M/O) absolutely rainproof.

On second thoughts it might not have anything to do with tread, I was simply assuming, as this is the only difference between PR2's & PR3's.

Edit: I also found this snippet whilst googling.

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PR3's and they seem great to me. Not a whole lot of miles on them yet but they still look new. They work great on the road. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have run Bridgestone BT-023 for the past 16000 miles. I get about 6000 for each rear and 9000 for each front.

I don't have any problems keeping up with the guys on sport compound tires...just ask around.

I was also going to suggest the Bridgestone BT-023. And yes, John is one of the fastest riders I've ridden with. He's a shining example of how riding skills make technology on a bike secondary.

I'm using BT-016 Pro which is stickier than the BT-023. I changed my last rear tire at 4000 miles and the front will go 8000...

Last edited:

PB4UGO

Reaction score
Visit site
I am running Pirelli angels I've go about 4500 on the rear and it doesn't look half worn out. I have never had any problem with traction wet or dry.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
The dunlop sportmax 2 on both ... they were o ti when i got the bike n seems since the guy had it he`s used em ... they doing fine so far :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Road 2's for me

Good for 12,000 miles or better (took off a set with 13k and had plenty tread left)

Nice stickiness once they warm up. Ride them normal for a mile or 2 and you are good to go.

Decent rain grip. But does anyone really push the performance of a tire in the rain. I hope not

There were production issues with the newee PR3 version of this tire so read up on that before you commit to buy

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Powers

Only have about 1200 miles on them so they both look almost brand new. We don't get a lot of rain here in Arizona so I wasn't too worried about wet traction (I have a cage for the days it actually rains). They are very sticky and warm up very quickly IMHO.