What is your default lane position and why?

What is your default lane posiiton and why?

• Left

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Middle

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Right

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No default

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I primarily stay towards the left so I'm better seen behind the car in front of me and so they're more aware of my presence as well!

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
Left due to Moose and deer. Keeps me centered in the road and more time to react to those wanting to cross the road.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Left, especially on a 3 lane highway. I figure if I'm in the middle lane (which I usually am unless I'm passing), the people passing me have already seen me, however the cars in the right (slow lane) have no idea I'm there. So it gives a bit of a buffer

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Left due to Moose and deer. Keeps me centered in the road and more time to react to those wanting to cross the road.
This! I almost always ride on the left. When I do this, I notice oncoming traffic will damn near drive on the shoulder! I've also been known to drive in the left passing lane on a 4-lane split highway at dawn and dusk to have better reaction time to whatever might come out of the ditch to the right.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about this when I dropped my bike off for new tires. I'm fairly new so I was sticking to the left hand side of my lane (bi-directional road, 1 lane each direction). When oncoming cars came, I drifted to the middle as they passed, then got back over. There's something about being right next to them that makes me a bit nervous, as when I am in the car, I see people over the line all the time. Should I just stick to my guns unless they are 'obviously' coming into my lane? My wife said I looked like I was driving erratically lol Plus there were potholes, debris, all the other fun stuff.

Secondly, I was at a red light with my wife behind me in our car (tires in tow). As the light changed, I went and after the light, there was a lane merging in (on the right). It was two lanes for a short bit, then it merged (into my lane). I saw this motorcycle pretty close behind me to my right. I was riding toward the left of my lane, and as it merged, he got really close to me. I didn't realize how close until I did a head check. So, he 'tailgated' for a while, then back off a bit (this was another sport bike).

Anyways, end of story, I pull into the shop and I hear this honk behind me. Park, my wife pulls in and gets out and says, 'what was up with that guy?'. I didn't see him, but he apparently pulled in behind me, honked, and pulled back out - I was just looking for parking. She also said he was right on my ass. I have no idea what happened in this situation. I used my blinker, there were no cars in front of me, I didn't brake suddenly to turn. Was he trying to ride in formation with me perhaps? and I was just doing my own thing? Is that to be expected when another rider is all of sudden behind you?

Thoughts?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=26366]Koissu[/MENTION], that rider just had bad riding etiquette. As far as shifting whenever a car approaches from the opposite lane, nothing wrong with that. Never trust and assume the other driver. I do that whenever I see a truck or anything big that might create a wind blast.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a one lane road, I also favor the left while leaving enough space between me and the car ahead so that i can see and be seen by side streets on the right. On multi lane roads, if there are lanes to my right, i will usually be in the right-most position so that I can be seen in the driver's side mirror. Of course, I never stay in a driver's blind spot, and never EVER trust that the driver sees me. Keep lots of escape paths.