Swerving vs braking?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a split second decision to make, only one will be the corrective action. Are you an experienced rider to make that decision, and to execute it! This video illustrates how important it is to swerve, versus to brake in certain situations. In addition, where you decide to ride within the portion of your lane can play a key role. In the video, the rider has chosen the left portion within the lane. The outcome of this video could have turned ugly in the event the rider was riding in the middle or right portion of the lane, considering he missed the vehicle by an inch or two.

WATCH: Tigard cop on motorcycle narrowly misses oncoming car | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Why do you think this rider elected to ride in the left portion of the lane, while other riders choose the middle or even the right portion of the lane? You probably can find your answers here on this link.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa/...lane-position-why.html?highlight=default+lane

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man position and cool head are everything.

just goes to show you riding aggressive may be fun but 90% of the time its not you who ****s up its the other guy.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
the moment you become ****y-shown off that's the moment you will be crashed!

Swerving/braking depends the split-second decision - I went on carpool lane in middle possible and there was a vanpool pulled in front of me about 100 feet as I was speeding at 60mph. I had 2s to decide whether braking or swerving..before that about 3s I just passed a SUV and it was about 2s behind me.

Within 2s and the memory served me well about my surroundings. Here how it went, within 1s = I identified an empty space on the emergency lane, and not to use the brake but engine braking to back down to gear 4th and 3rd. Another second, swerved my bike into that emergency lane and ready to take off again as the SUV (which I just passed about 4-5s) ago squealed its' tires not to rear-end that vanpool. All happened within 2s and I was glad I decided not to brake otherwise I would have been sandwiched between the vanpool & SUV!

Thus, in my opinion, a rider should always pay attention all his surroundings then he can give judgement to what next action should be. However the first priority is to get to the safety to avoid any others..anyone in the traffic is the risk to you so I have no trust to anyone in the traffic and always try to protect myself first - there is no rights of way once the rider is on his motorcycle. The only critical, ultimate goal for rider are to avoid the accident at any cost!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a split second decision to make, only one will be the corrective action. Are you an experienced rider to make that decision, and to execute it! This video illustrates how important it is to swerve, versus to brake in certain situations. In addition, where you decide to ride within the portion of your lane can play a key role. In the video, the rider has chosen the left portion within the lane. The outcome of this video could have turned ugly in the event the rider was riding in the middle or right portion of the lane, considering he missed the vehicle by an inch or two.

WATCH: Tigard cop on motorcycle narrowly misses oncoming car | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Why do you think this rider elected to ride in the left portion of the lane, while other riders choose the middle or even the right portion of the lane?

It would appear officer Massey was not scanning ahead for possible "oh $hit" moments. Watching the vid, you can see the car is positioned to turn, yet officer speedy never slows down, instead he has to quickly maneuver to avoid hitting the car.

SIPDE is taught in beginner
MSF courses.

This space intentionally left blank.