• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobalt

Cobalt '08
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Another OIL question

Rotella synthetic that has a CJ4 designation (listed on back label) passes JASO MA.
I remember i couldn't run full synthetic in my '96 CR250 MX bike, (too slippery) for proper clutch engagement, however modern clutch plates are engineered with grooves specifically for this purpose.

I broke her in with the stock oil 0-500 ml
then used synth blend 500-1000
then switched to Rotella Synthetic (CJ4)

Good stuff in my opinion.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I,m with the other oz guys,motul makes a hell of a difference. I changed to the 5100 like Stumbles did.

Hmmm Dave,first the pipes and now expensive oil.I.m going to have to stop listening to you before I go broke ,lol

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This one?

synth_cj4.jpg

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site

Rotella full syn here and 12,000 miles and still humming along.

A question for you Rotella users. I was buying the stuff in that big jug you picture at Wally World. The Wally's around here don't seem to carry it anymore. How about in other areas?

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site

Rotella synthetic user here as well. It's a very underrated, unassuming oil.

You can get it at Pep Boys or major auto parts chain.... Kragen, Autozone... etc.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

A question for you Rotella users. I was buying the stuff in that big jug you picture at Wally World. The Wally's around here don't seem to carry it anymore. How about in other areas?

It has been hit and miss at Wally World here. Auto Zone sells it here and if you want to pay a premium, the Shell stations sell it too.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

They carry it here in Orlando, though they did not have it for a while. Sells now for $19 a gallon, down from $23 back when gas was $4.00 a gallon.

You may want to talk to the Automotive Dept Manager to have him order you some. He may just get you what you want or he may start carrying it?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

For San Diego area folks...

Wal-Mart in Poway has Rotella synthetic in the jug. Just got some recently.

Bryan :thumbup:

The Rotella works great. Shifting has never been smoother!

Last edited:

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site

The guy at the shop is an a$$hat. I have over 64,000 miles using Rotella T. I have yet to replace the original clutch.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site

+1 from a new FZ6 rider. I'll be using Rotella T synthetic myself, once
it's all broken in.
I used in in my VTX 1800, and the shifting became like melted buttery
smooth all the way to the next change, every time for over 10k miles.
I think I ran it in a Honda Magna too with no problems at all.
I know it doesn't say 20w-40 on it, but hey, I think it's got to be an advantage
to have 5w when it's cold out.

- Troy

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What Is The Best Oil

We use high revving engines, so they should be changed more frequently than cars. I do 3,000 miles / 3 months, but on cars I go longer, like the manufacturer says.

I mention that because I use Supertech aka Walmart brand. Why? All natural oils ARE the same. People will give you voodoo and blackmagic reasons on why thats not so but I know better. Scientifically, synthetic oils are supreme because they last long, dont break down by heat like natural oils, but they still get dirty. Thats why I don't use it for my engine, because its a waste to change the synthetic oil every 3 months/3000 miles...you're not going to see the benefits of that choice and you might as well use natural oils. Walmart oil is the cheapest, and refined by the same people that make x,y,z.

Thats all i use is the walmart oil. I have royal purple in it now (it was free oil)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

Use this and you'll never have to worry about oil again:

bypass.jpg

:rof:

more seriously, I love Rotella for all my FZ6 and never had an issue (that were oil related that is :D)... also, I saw that Wallmart is currently discounting their Rotella Synthetic again! Go buy some!

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site

I guess I'm still on the fence about switching to a synthetic. The biggest advantage, it seems to me, is a longer oil change interval. Truth is that I like to do preventative maintenance on my bikes. So changing the synth oil every 3000 miles would be a kind of waste of money. On the other hand, the Amsoil site says engine temps can be reduced by 25 degF. Living here in Florida, that sounds very interesting. Has anyone else experienced a measurable improvement with changing over. Besides the subjective 'easier to shift' or such observation. I use Amsoil in my 2T dirt bike, and have had no troubles with really dirty power valves like others I ride with. But then, I rarely ride in the power band enough to even open the KIPS valve very often (it's a Kawasaki).

Status
Not open for further replies.