What Fuel gauge error, Nelly the mechanical Genius.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I thought I would change the fuse to my wired in battery optimizer. It blew a few days ago.
I lifted the tank using the method where you basically unscrew the rear fixing and slide the tank back. This means that you don’t need to remove the inner fairing pods. I did this and tilted the tank back 70 degrees or so. I held it there with a bungee (like normal). I was just starting to replace the rear fixing to secure the tank.
One of my children started calling me. I left the bike like that for a few minutes and came back to find the tank lying upside down on the left side of the bike.
The wires to the white fuel sensor underneath were pulled out of the plug. One was complete with the internal metal connector. The other was minus the connector and just a bare wire. I couldn’t get the connector out to re crimp it so I stripped it back and pushed it back in. I was able to use a very small screwdriver to re crimp it securely. The other connector was easy to orientate and I pushed it back in. So I got it all connected and on turning the ignition I find this fault.
Fuel gauge flashes 8 times then pauses for 3 seconds.
The bikes starts and runs like normal. I did diagnostics (which mean SFA to me). No error codes came up so the Haynes manual is not helping. I am embarrassed to admit that my entire electronical repertoire and knowledge starts and finishes with turning the bike on. I thought schematics were a kind of disease.
Where do I start?
Originally Posted by Jazond
Resurrecting an older thread here... but maybe a bit more info isnt bad?
Quote:
This fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnosis system. If a problem is detected in the electrical circut, the following cycle will be repeated untill the malfunction is corrected: "E" (Empty), "F" (Full) and [gas symbol] will flash 8 times, then go off for approxmatly 3 seconds. If this occurs, have a Yamaha deal..... Bla Bla Bla...
Kinda a neat feature, i just happend to read about it in the manual today while looking for chain tension information. (Getting ready to do 600 mile service myself )

~Jason

Thanks in advance
Nelly

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Aw Fek it! Fuel gauge error

The fuel pump only leaks like a thimble-full of gas if you unplug everything. I'd just put a rag down and unplug everything next time. Or take the extra 60 seconds to remove the inner fairing panels.

The fuel pump connectors are power and a 12vdc signal that represents the float arm position. Kind of like a variable resistor. Normal operation ranges from 2.5vdc to 11.5vdc (I think). If the instrument panel doesn't see any voltage at all, then it gives that flash pattern.

Unfortunately, the only real way to fix the wires being pulled out like that, is to replace the plug. You'd need a new plug and a soldering iron. Good news is, your bike should run fine, you just won't have a fuel gauge.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

If the float came off, then it would do that same issue. Unless the OP took the tank apart recently, it's not likely, but a possibility.

You should hear the float banging around when the tank is near empty if it fell off.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The fuel pump only leaks like a thimble-full of gas if you unplug everything. I'd just put a rag down and unplug everything next time. Or take the extra 60 seconds to remove the inner fairing panels.

The fuel pump connectors are power and a 12vdc signal that represents the float arm position. Kind of like a variable resistor. Normal operation ranges from 2.5vdc to 11.5vdc (I think). If the instrument panel doesn't see any voltage at all, then it gives that flash pattern.

Unfortunately, the only real way to fix the wires being pulled out like that, is to replace the plug. You'd need a new plug and a soldering iron. Good news is, your bike should run fine, you just won't have a fuel gauge.
Cheers Mate,

Bloody hindsight is brilliant isn't it? I have only used this tank removal method a few times and it works if you don't screw it up.
I will try and source a new plug.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If the float came off, then it would do that same issue. Unless the OP took the tank apart recently, it's not likely, but a possibility.

You should hear the float banging around when the tank is near empty if it fell off.
I didn't hear the float when I gave it a shake.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Can anyone point me in the right direction to source the fuel sensor relay. Its the white plug on the bottom of the tank.
I spent an hour last night on the inter web but came up blank.

Nelly:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured it out but still need some help: Fuel gauge error

I went back to it this morning with a fresh head.
I pulled the connections off the white fuel level sensor plug as there was no current going through the side that I thought I had crimped.

I soldered a piece of wire and pushed it through the sensor and then connected it back up to the harness.
Bingo no more flashing fuel gauge, fuel pump primes engine all ready to go.....

Error code 1 one displays.
It sounds like a flat battery when I hit the starter so it's on charge now. I have not carried out any other work or disconnected any other connections.
Bit pi55ed of with it all now.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So it was a flat battery, thank you FZ6 Gods.
This was certainly a good learning experience for me.
As stated I am pretty poor at electrics.
I taught myself to solder.
I learned how to make a bypass circuit to check for current (with help thanks).

I will replace the fuel level sensor with a new item as soon as I can track one down. Thanks for the help people.

Pic 1 Fuel level sensor with connector inside:confused:.
Pic 2 My repair:rockon:.
Pic 3 Working fuel gauge.:cheer:
Pic 4 Prof Nelly Grossman:eek:.
Nelly:D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: You Fixed IT!

Bummer. . . . But we're Glad you healed it. . . :thumbup: Why do you need a new sensor? Because the connector is damaged?
Be thankful it didn't spill and do the big flaming thing.

FWIW: I tend to approach problems with this idea in mind: what can I do to prove a disprove what ever the condition is? Kind of a fault tree of, what's most likely to least likely and then what can I do to verify any given idea I came up with. Then once you illuminate what it isn't, that only leaves what it is! Well hopefully. . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: You Fixed IT!

Bummer. . . . But we're Glad you healed it. . . :thumbup: Why do you need a new sensor? Because the connector is damaged?
Be thankful it didn't spill and do the big flaming thing.

FWIW: I tend to approach problems with this idea in mind: what can I do to prove a disprove what ever the condition is? Kind of a fault tree of, what's most likely to least likely and then what can I do to verify any given idea I came up with. Then once you illuminate what it isn't, that only leaves what it is! Well hopefully. . .
Thanks for the response. I guess that I would like to change the switch out just so I know its 100%. Having said that I road 20 kms up a mountain today on unsurfaced roads. So I guess if my soldering or connection was going to rattle loose it would have done.
I was definitely trying to work by a process of elimination. I was glad that I made the by pass circuit before taking the fuel pump out though. I have much to do with regard to the electrical side of maintenance.

Other jobs today were drilling out my stock exhaust and cleaning my K&N air filter. I also re-routed my battery tender to a more secure location.

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump and attached fuel gauge are clipped together and sold NEW as one unit. I doubt you need a new sending unit, just tracking down a new plug end and soldering it in should do it....

You may be able to find a used sending unit and a piece of a used wiring harness from a wrecked bike.

Once the pump/gauge are out, you can power up the gauge and move the float arm up and down and watch the fuel gauge. If it works, its good..

Good luck.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump and attached fuel gauge are clipped together and sold NEW as one unit. I doubt you need a new sending unit, just tracking down a new plug end and soldering it in should do it....

You may be able to find a used sending unit and a piece of a used wiring harness from a wrecked bike.

Once the pump/gauge are out, you can power up the gauge and move the float arm up and down and watch the fuel gauge. If it works, its good..

Good luck.
Thanks,
Its all working now. It was the contact terminal inside the plug that was broken.
Tracking down one of those pins is proving impossible.
When I have seen fuel pumps for sale they are minus the wiring loom. I think I am missing what you are saying due to not knowing what all of the composite parts are called.

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression just the wiring connector (from the main bike harness) was damaged.

Hopefully someone here will have a wrecked bike they can part out with that short section of the wiring harness. You can soldier that in or someone can provide a link on where to buy the connector..

If its the pin/connector at the fuel pump/fuel gauge (bolted to the gas tank), I don't believe that's replaceable, short of another pump.

The FJR uses just about the same pump/set up. This link: http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php is one of the other forums I frequent. I've seen posts where guys have had to find replacement connectors. You may try a search there. If you can't find anything there, make a post, the guys there are EXTREMLY knowledgable and know (if its available) where to locate a part.

This company might be able to help: http://electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

Hope this helps..

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression just the wiring connector (from the main bike harness) was damaged.

Hopefully someone here will have a wrecked bike they can part out with that short section of the wiring harness. You can soldier that in or someone can provide a link on where to buy the connector..

If its the pin/connector at the fuel pump/fuel gauge (bolted to the gas tank), I don't believe that's replaceable, short of another pump.

The FJR uses just about the same pump/set up. This link: FJRForum is one of the other forums I frequent. I've seen posts where guys have had to find replacement connectors. You may try a search there. If you can't find anything there, make a post, the guys there are EXTREMLY knowledgable and know (if its available) where to locate a part.

This company might be able to help: Hitachi Style Connectors

Hope this helps..
Thats brilliant,
we were both singing off the same song sheet, I just thought I might have used the wrong name to describe my part.
I was also looking at the R6 parts. A good few of the connectors are also compatible.
A very helpful post cheers.

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats brilliant,
we were both singing off the same song sheet, I just thought I might have used the wrong name to describe my part.
I was also looking at the R6 parts. A good few of the connectors are also compatible.
A very helpful post cheers.

Nelly

Good idea! Yamaha most likely uses a similar if not same pump/connector. That opens your options for finding a replacement part...

Good luck hunting!