What fixes a squirrely rear end??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Its been really nice weather in SD, and i rode for a few hours this weekend. The rear end on some corners feels like it slips around a little bit but i know its not actually losing traction, it just feels like it is. I read somewhere on here its normal for the fz to feel this way but it kind scurs me sometimes LOL.

Is the only fix for this a thousand dollar rear spring shock?? Would leaning more forward or back when leaning make it "get more traction"?

Its not imperative i get this fixed im just curious :)

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same feeling and I'm gonna install a rear shock soon. Probably have it installed. The only other thing I'd check is the swingarm bushing. Oh, and once mine felt really squirrelly, but only on right turns. Turned out to be a long slim nail in the rear tire, at a steep angle. Rolling on throttle before the turn and never rolling on mid-turn helps me, too.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How old/worn are your tires? Sounds like they're squared off.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Tire is near new pilot road 2. Actually since i just installed the throttle tamer i have been rolling on it slowly mid turn with no issues. Maybe i just need to feel confident about doing that and it might help.

I just dont want to spend the thousand bucks when i might want another bike soon LOL.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar issue but it was a result of a sh1tty oem rear on my Versys.... Sounds like either your suspensions not tremendous, or just getting worn, or maybe a squared off tire, but you say it's new... hmm, have you checked your tire pressures?

I forget, does the FZ have any adjustments for the rear spring? you might want to try stiffening it up if it does... if it's set too soft (or too hard) it will do some whacky things to the handling

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since it's not the tire and if swingarm bushings are nice and tight, I would start by cranking up shock preload. I remember having that squirrely feeling with preload set too soft. It won't be as plush, but it should feel more planted.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar issue but it was a result of a sh1tty oem rear on my Versys.... Sounds like either your suspensions not tremendous, or just getting worn, or maybe a squared off tire, but you say it's new... hmm, have you checked your tire pressures?

I forget, does the FZ have any adjustments for the rear spring? you might want to try stiffening it up if it does... if it's set too soft (or too hard) it will do some whacky things to the handling

+1 on all of the above!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site

Im not sure if it has adjustment on it. I will take it to the shop and see what they say. So most likely has to be stiffened?

Tire pressure is good. 34 front and 36 rear.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Since it's not the tire and if swingarm bushings are nice and tight, I would start by cranking up shock preload. I remember having that squirrely feeling with preload set too soft. It won't be as plush, but it should feel more planted.

Can i adjust this myself? Or maybe cliff can do it for me hehhehehe

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can i adjust this myself? Or maybe cliff can do it for me hehhehehe

Sure can, if you have the the OEM tool kit. If you've never touched your preload, it's most likely set at 3. Range is 1-7. Look in owner's manual for how to set it (or search here)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put it up to 4 a few times, seems to quiet down the rear and turns much quicker. Usually keep it at 3 for around town or long distance.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Improperly balanced rear wheel could be it as well.
But +1 on the stiffer suspension. Did you have michelin tires on the bike before?? michelins are somewhat softer (not the rubber but the carcass?? thats whats it called in dutch anyway, the metal stuff inside the sides of the rubber) which could make it feel wobbley if you rode different stiffer tires before.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
With the right psi and preload set to 7, I went through couple different brands of tires before I felt like the rear was not slipping anymore. Not sure if it was just psychological and I got over it... maybe it was a combination of that and finding the tires that I really like. Currently have pilot powers @ 33-36 with preload 7.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
With the right psi and preload set to 7, I went through couple different brands of tires before I felt like the rear was not slipping anymore. Not sure if it was just psychological and I got over it... maybe it was a combination of that and finding the tires that I really like. Currently have pilot powers @ 33-36 with preload 7.

So I havent i ridden many bikes. Is this a common problem with other bikes too in your opinion??

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Remember that the preload only adjust ride height not how soft or hard the suspension is. Only a spring / damper, oil change can change that. Also softer equals more traction but too soft will bottom easily.

How new is the tire like others have said a squared off tire can be real loose as it transitions from center of tire to side.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I though the preload adjustment doesn't change the ride height? Pretty sure it only adjusts how far down the spring is compressed at rest.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember that the preload only adjust ride height not how soft or hard the suspension is. Only a spring / damper, oil change can change that. Also softer equals more traction but too soft will bottom easily.

How new is the tire like others have said a squared off tire can be real loose as it transitions from center of tire to side.

I though the preload adjustment doesn't change the ride height? Pretty sure it only adjusts how far down the spring is compressed at rest.

Manual states that the suspension will be harder or softer based on preload adjustment.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

If the spring is compressed all the way the ride hight will be higher then if you have it set with least amount of compression. This is called sag so the amount of sag will change ride height. More sag you sit lower less sag you sit higher. Pretty much the same thing.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
So I havent i ridden many bikes. Is this a common problem with other bikes too in your opinion??

I haven't ridden many either, maybe others can pitch in on this, but this slipping feeling you described sounds very familiar. If you exhaust all mechanical options and feel like this is psychological, I would find a corner where you experienced this "slip" and take that corner few times in different gears...see if the different RPM's change that slipping feeling for you. The fz6 should feel very attached to the ground in the right rpm range.

Last edited: