What do you recommend for a tank bag

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for some kind of soft luggage to be able to carry a limited amount of stuff with me. what do you guys recommend for tank bags or tail bags? Or something else? Also those of you who have tank bags have they had any adverse affect on the paint on the tank or not?

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for some kind of soft luggage to be able to carry a limited amount of stuff with me. what do you guys recommend for tank bags or tail bags? Or something else? Also those of you who have tank bags have they had any adverse affect on the paint on the tank or not?

I just picked up the Joe Rocket "hammerhead" tank bag...Awesome! Fits the GPS, Phone, Gloves, Keys, coins, Weather proof thingy, Plus your can take and carry the Man bag away!

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech super 18 liter. I carry my lunch and extra clothes when coming home from work. I really don't use the side pouches much. right now it just holds my kick stand plate. I would recommend it.

I have not had any ill effects on my paint it looks just like when I bought the bike. The magnets have never come off or loosened up, but I make sure they sit really flat on the tank.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I like the Bags Connection Day Bag, there a little pricey but very handy to use and they don't touch the tank.
P1000485.jpg

Link to Twisted Throttle--
TwistedThrottle.com : Bags-Connection "Daypack II" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System - BCK.TRT.00.020.100

Jerry

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm not sure on how much you want to spend, but you could get a bagster tank protector and some bagster bags. Perfect way to protect your tank, and attaching the bag itself is easy and very secure. There are different sizes in bags, I have a set, 2 bags you can use either one, or both at the same time, with up to 40 liters of capacity,
allows me to pack enough clothes and stuff for a 4 day trip. (I pack lots of stuff I don't usually need ;) )

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag. It holds quite a bit if stuff. I keep some rain pants rolled up in the main compartment, along with a bottle of water and a few snacks. On the top I keep my cell phone and keys and usually have an empty pocket for a few more small things.

My only complaint is that I've noticed it marking up my tank a little bit. So if I use it, I leave it where it is for as long as I can.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the JR Manta XL. I use one on short rides and it's great. I like it because it's wide rather than tall, so it doesn't obstruct your view of your gauge cluster.

That being said, if I'm going on a longer ride, especially in the twisties where I'll need to get down on the tank, I use a Fieldsheer Expander tail bag. I LOVE that thing. It's got 4 bungies made into the bottom of it and I just strap it down and under the tail and hook them together. As the name says, it's expandable, so you can fit a TON of stuff in there. I've even thought about picking up a set of the matching saddlebags that connect to it.

If I'm looking at a long trip or going somewhere that I need to lock up my gear, I'll pop my Givi top case on the back. But I'd rather use the tail bag on most trips.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Bagster system.

The Bagster system consists of a "leather look" cover that fastens over the whole tank leaving an opening for the fuel filler.

The range of bags simply clip onto the cover.

Your tank is protected from stone chips, dulling of paint from your knees on the side of the tank, and no scratching that will occur with magnetic tank bags.

You also get more of a grip on the tank with your knees which is good.

When you come to trade in the bike your tank will be in great condition.

How the Luggage System Works

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the "Cycleguys" Fastpack that I think is the best compromise. It folds flat when not in use and holds alot of stuff when you need it. I also have the Joe Rocket Hammerhead for when I'm in need of my GPS and longer trips. It's not too big and holds quite a bit too. Check out the Fastpack at the Cycleguys web site. It's one of a kind.:thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this one: Cycle Gear - CARGO: Endurance Sport Tank Bag, BLACK

I only use it on trips, around town if I need to carry something I'll take a backpack. It holds a decent amount of stuff and has a map window on top for trips. Haven't had any problems with it yet, going on 2 years. Doesn't scratch the paint since the magnets are strong enough to keep it in place, but also has a strap to go around the handlebar mounts if you want.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use & highly recommend this little beauty from Cargo Basics :thumbup: Compact & tough , has a hard top section for phone/camera that is waterproof , 2 side pouches & even unzips & extends to fit 4 600ml bottles.... Serves me well & the magnets will hold to any speed ;).... As for damaging paint i always lift it off , never drag it & any small scratches will polish straight out :D

Last edited:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Joe rocket manta, just the small one which i really like. I can fit pretty much everything i need for a quick trip out.

I haven't had any issues with it, doesn't move once it is in place.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech super 18 liter. I carry my lunch and extra clothes when coming home from work. I really don't use the side pouches much. right now it just holds my kick stand plate. I would recommend it.

I have not had any ill effects on my paint it looks just like when I bought the bike. The magnets have never come off or loosened up, but I make sure they sit really flat on the tank.

same only smaller, i used (wife still uses) the cortech super 10 big enough for a couple bottles of water and other small items, without being limited to water phone and keys.. pretty handy a nice "middle size" bag

DSC07849-1.jpg

Last edited:

d9spacecadet

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use the dowco fastrax bag. very versatile. the bag has backpack straps inside. it's expandable. enclosed attached weather cover. lots of space. check it out @ speedaddictcycles.com. they have the best price.

jcrawford

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Joe Rocket MantaRay XL and it fits well, stays on great and has sufficient room for cell phone, beverage, etc. All that is really needed for a day ride.