What Do You Do At Stoplights??

Aeon_Blue

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a curious question. What do you guys do while stuck at a traffic light with a little bit of down time?

I usually ALWAYS stay in 1st gear while I check my mirrors for cagers. Once I see one pull up behind me I will relax a lil bit and maybe pop it into neutral and relax my posture and fingers (I always keep my front brake and clutch covered with my pointer fingers). I then proceed to look around for a bit after checking my temp gauge and wave at small children in cars who are glued to the window in fascination. LOL.

I also am guilty of sometimes flirting with girls in their cars by making gestures to the back seat of my motorcycle. I can't believe this method works about 50% of the time. I've taken absolute strangers for rides on the bikes but by the time we're done...we've got their numbers and a new riding buddy >.<

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually ALWAYS stay in 1st gear while I check my mirrors for cagers. Once I see one pull up behind me I will relax a lil bit and maybe pop it into neutral and relax my posture and fingers (I always keep my front brake and clutch covered with my pointer fingers).

This is exactly what I do also. Another smart thing to do is to stay back off of the car stopped in front if you and point your bike to slightly to the left or right of them (depending on the best escape route). This way if you have to GTFO of the way quick from someone behind you, you can just dump the clutch and get on the gas without having to worry about steering around the car in front. You can just shoot straight into the gap...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep the bike in 1st gear unless:
1. I have two cars behind me and
2. I'm sure I still have to wait for my green light

If I have the bike on neutral, then I put both feet on the ground (stand a little) and stretch my legs, back.

I'm always looking around (possible scape route, who/what is around me)

I have not tried to back seat gesture with girls :thumbup:

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
against my better judgement, im almost always in neutral.. but, im pretty much ON the lane divider on the left side, therefore, theres never a car in front or directly behind me, i usually get odd looks from the person in front as to why im there, but thats the point... people see me, and keep me in their mirrors until the light is green

this also puts my right mirror in a good position to see the lanes behind me very well to watch for non attention paying folks

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's excellent advice to try to reserve an escape route on either side. Here in CA, I, along with probably a majority of riders, usually are preoccupied about filtering up to or nearer to the limit line. If I'm not (can't always filter!), then, I do as everybody else has been advising here. I don't want be the center of a sandwich. N NO WAY! I even avoid using a left turn lane nearby because there's NO escape room available on either side unless I'm first (won't/can't filter a single left-turn lane)

Aeon_Blue

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's excellent advice to try to reserve an escape route on either side. Here in CA, I, along with probably a majority of riders, usually are preoccupied about filtering up to or nearer to the limit line. If I'm not (can't always filter!), then, I do as everybody else has been advising here. I don't want be the center of a sandwich. N NO WAY! I even avoid using a left turn lane nearby because there's NO escape room available on either side unless I'm first (won't/can't filter a single left-turn lane)

I heard it is LEGAL in CA for you guys to ride through the middle of standstill traffic. Is that true?

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard it is LEGAL in CA for you guys to ride through the middle of standstill traffic. Is that true?

Yep, that's what 'filtering' is (post #5). Some call it lane-splitting. I believe there was a recent thread about lane-splitting....

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm usually in first or neutral. Depends how my back and hands are feeling and if I need to stretch out or not. Depends on the light too if its in the city or at the bottom of the hill. During the day I'm a little more lax about N vs 1st since I can see clear behind me. At night I never leave it in neutral.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
flat road, no morons detected in the vicinity and time permits I'll neutral
briefly, both feet down and stretch a bit...if all the above aren't met I'm
ready to GTFOT quickly

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for a good thread, :thumbup: reminding us about the potential dangers of being a sitting target at stoplights . . . :rolleyes:

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
I always stay in first gear unless there are a couple of cars already behind me, and even then I'll keep my left foot ready to drop into first and my left hand covering the clutch. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I've heard a few horror stories of people getting rear ended.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I slip it into neutral, stand up, rev the engine to 14,000 and fist-pump wildly until the light turns green.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
flat road, no morons detected in the vicinity and time permits I'll neutral
briefly, both feet down and stretch a bit...if all the above aren't met I'm
ready to GTFOT quickly

I do the exact same thing. 1st gear unless I am alone.

Just a few days ago a friend of mine had to make a mad dash to her right to avoid being sandwiched. It turned into a four car accident, so you know they were moving fast. She did everything right by being positioned to move outta the way, and staying in first gear.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I slip it into neutral, stand up, rev the engine to 14,000 and fist-pump wildly until the light turns green.

man thats to funny, I have seen that a few times back in Regina. Except the rider is looking around to see if anyone is watching.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

I do almost the same thing.... the only exception is that I skip the slip it into neutral step.

this may have been me:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7xTEn2p3c]YouTube - Buell Blast Burnout[/ame]

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually check my phone messages, pop off a few text messages, paint my nails, & always look who's coming up behind me!

Just kidding.....I don't have time to paint my nails :BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I take the opportunity to pick my nose like everyone else during red lights.

Seriously, lots of great advice here on this forum. Actually it's not advice, it's the proper thing to do. Most rider's don't realize how important it is to position yourself during a traffic stop. I can never understand how some riders just stop directly behind the vehicle in front of them, right in the middle of the lane, leaving themselves becoming a motorcycle sandwich. They are leaving themselves with very little outs.

Plus, where do you think the greasiest part on the roadway is at an intersection?

Always watch your six!