What do I need to buy to take a bike apart?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to ravage my FZ. It will be taken apart to the point where it is in pieces all over the place, including the engine. I want to take it apart, then try to put it back together again, fixing and upgrading a handful of bits here and there.

Why?

Because I need to learn and this is the best way. It will be winter and my garage will be my workspace fully dedicated to this. I will not finish this until sometime late in summer in 2011 as a projected date but might take even longer (till the year after!).

In the meantime I will be picking up another machine.

But my reason for posting this thread is I need to know what to buy to do this.

I have the basic hand tools. But:

1) How will I effectively elevate the bike in various ways to make this do-able? Lifting front? Rear? whole bike? I need to lift it in a very secure way for each. No messing about. No risk of dropping. Weeks will go by sometimes where I don't work on it.

2) What about taking the engine out? What do I need to do that?

3) What about taking tires off the wheels?

4) What about disassembling all the rest of the stuff? Basic hand tools will be enough? (i.e. wrenches/etc )

Thanks!

This has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. Now I have an excuse to do it, and can afford to pick up a second bike to get me around for next season. In the meantime it's winter anyway.

I will try to keep the budget down for now by starting small. The major stuff I will buy sometime next year. I just need to figure out a budget and before I can do that I need to figure out what I will need to buy.

Later all.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do i need to buy to take a bike apart? That's a huge question, cause if you wanna do it properly, and be able to put it back topgether again properly, your gonna need a lot of tools, especially if you want to use the right tools, and get the job done properly...

A service manual, an assembly manual, and an owners manual....service manual especially, as it lists all the OEM bolt sizes, torque setting's, lubrication points, etc....essential!

Metric Hex keys, Imperial Hex keys...

1/4 inch drive socket set, 1/2 inch drive socket set. 1/2 inch drive breaker bar (invaluable for the removal of wheels) Torque wrenches...for getting the torque setting on important load bearing nuts and blts correct when re-assembling.

A decent set of screwdrivers.

a full set of open end/ring spanners, metric is essential on an FZ6.

A decent selection of pliers, cable crimpers, cutters. Rubber mallet. Tap & Dye set (for all those threads you destroy along your journey...cause you will destroy a thread or two. WD40 is good in some cases to avoid this...

Locktite thread locker...

Cable ties...

A camera, to take photo's of how things looked before you take them apart...this is important, unless you have another OEM FZ6 standing around to use as a referrence point...

Front race stand, rear race stand, a car jack.

that lot should get you started...but i could go on and on...especially if you plan to start doing work inside the motor...then we are talking a whole bunch of more specialized tools...

Then there's grease, high temp, and Molybedenum (sic).

A parts washer is a handy tool to have...especially if what you are taking off is covered in grease and crap...

When i started modding my FZ6's, i had stuff all tools, but i just kept buying what i needed as the need arose...eventually you will end up with a decent bunch of tools that will service your needs for years.

But buy good quality tools, cheap tools either dont work, damage stuff, break, or break stuff, etc, etc...

Keep your tools organised in a decent tool box, tool trolley.

Tidy up after every session in the garage...

Keep all the bolts you take off in plastic bags, marked with where they came from...this is pretty bloody important at 3am in the morning, when you are looking for the one bolt you need to finish the job...and the job requires more than just any bolt, but the "right" bolt!

Patience, and a organised work ethic....if you go about haphazardly, you will get a haphazard result...

Any work you outsource, make sure the person(s) you outsource to, are qualified to do the job properly...

Good luck.

:thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whoa. thanks wolfie. that's very in depth.

But what about the raising of the bike? I have a rear stand and it's useless. It slides off the swingarm very quickly. How else can I elevate the bike if not with a stand like that? I was envisioning some sort of chain and arm contraption like I've seen at garages. But I'm sure there are other options out there too.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
For lifting the bike did you think of maybe hoisting it from above? Seems like a good way to get access to underneath and it would make it easy to maneuver around.

maybe get something like this:
2 ton Chain Hoist

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure you'll need any Imperial tools at all, but to raise the bike safely an Abbastand is hard to beat.

You may also want to look at the special tools listed in the service manual. These don't have to come from Yamaha, but you may need things like a clutch holder, fork seal drivers or a steering head adjuster.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do i need to buy to take a bike apart? That's a huge question, cause if you wanna do it properly, and be able to put it back topgether again properly, your gonna need a lot of tools, especially if you want to use the right tools, and get the job done properly...

A service manual, an assembly manual, and an owners manual....service manual especially, as it lists all the OEM bolt sizes, torque setting's, lubrication points, etc....essential!

Metric Hex keys, Imperial Hex keys...

1/4 inch drive socket set, 1/2 inch drive socket set. 1/2 inch drive breaker bar (invaluable for the removal of wheels) Torque wrenches...for getting the torque setting on important load bearing nuts and blts correct when re-assembling.

A decent set of screwdrivers.

a full set of open end/ring spanners, metric is essential on an FZ6.

A decent selection of pliers, cable crimpers, cutters. Rubber mallet. Tap & Dye set (for all those threads you destroy along your journey...cause you will destroy a thread or two. WD40 is good in some cases to avoid this...

Locktite thread locker...

Cable ties...

A camera, to take photo's of how things looked before you take them apart...this is important, unless you have another OEM FZ6 standing around to use as a referrence point...

Front race stand, rear race stand, a car jack.

that lot should get you started...but i could go on and on...especially if you plan to start doing work inside the motor...then we are talking a whole bunch of more specialized tools...

Then there's grease, high temp, and Molybedenum (sic).

A parts washer is a handy tool to have...especially if what you are taking off is covered in grease and crap...

When i started modding my FZ6's, i had stuff all tools, but i just kept buying what i needed as the need arose...eventually you will end up with a decent bunch of tools that will service your needs for years.

But buy good quality tools, cheap tools either dont work, damage stuff, break, or break stuff, etc, etc...

Keep your tools organised in a decent tool box, tool trolley.

Tidy up after every session in the garage...

Keep all the bolts you take off in plastic bags, marked with where they came from...this is pretty bloody important at 3am in the morning, when you are looking for the one bolt you need to finish the job...and the job requires more than just any bolt, but the "right" bolt!

Patience, and a organised work ethic....if you go about haphazardly, you will get a haphazard result...

Any work you outsource, make sure the person(s) you outsource to, are qualified to do the job properly...

Good luck.

Jamie covered everything.... :rockon: :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup: as far as your question about lifting it up thats what the car jack is for be sure to use a peice of wood between it and the engine,and you will need a helper when you remove the engine...

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
All you need is duct tape to make it stay and WD-40 to make it move. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I forget, a decent set of In Hex sockets, with a 1/2 inch drive adaptor...you dont know how handy these buggers are when hex head bolts decide they dont wanna move...beats snapping hex key heads off in the top of the bolt!

Especially a 19mm in hex key socket, this and a 1/2 drive breaker bar...front wheel removal made easy...

:D

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
A set of Torx keys............. very useful for rounded out Allen bolts. And of course for those Torx bolts.

A box of Kleenex for all the tears.

Last edited:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Wolfman's comments on being organised and labeling or bagging parts. My advice would be to work on specific parts of the bike in one go, as opposed to tearing it all to pieces at once.

I've just been working on my bike the last few days, and am thoroughly fed up of scrabbling around on a cold concrete floor in the garage. Something which can lift the bike and enable you to work underneath is a bit of a luxury, but might be worth the expenditure in the long run on such a big project. Especially if you combine it with a hoist from a beam or arm from above.

800LB MOTORCYCLE BIKE LIFT TABLE HYDRAULIC RAMP BENCH on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 09:35:33 GMT)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Wolfman's comments on being organised and labeling or bagging parts. My advice would be to work on specific parts of the bike in one go, as opposed to tearing it all to pieces at once.

I've just been working on my bike the last few days, and am thoroughly fed up of scrabbling around on a cold concrete floor in the garage. Something which can lift the bike and enable you to work underneath is a bit of a luxury, but might be worth the expenditure in the long run on such a big project. Especially if you combine it with a hoist from a beam or arm from above.

800LB MOTORCYCLE BIKE LIFT TABLE HYDRAULIC RAMP BENCH on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 09:35:33 GMT)

You are correct, do one part of the bike at a time...this works, keeps you focussed on the job at hand, and not 10 different jobs that are not related to each other...

Chances are, even when concentrating on one area of the bike, you will end up working on several "issues" at once anyway...

Magnetic tool tray's are also good, every time you take off a bolt, chuck it in the tray...little buggers cant role away under your tool trolley, never to be found again that way!!!

I have a Hydraulic bike lift, and walk up bike table with ramp...i hardly ever use either....but my work space does have workshop carpet...best thing you will ever put on your garage floor!!! Costs bugger all too...

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct, do one part of the bike at a time...this works, keeps you focussed on the job at hand, and not 10 different jobs that are not related to each other...

Chances are, even when concentrating on one area of the bike, you will end up working on several "issues" at once anyway...

Magnetic tool tray's are also good, every time you take off a bolt, chuck it in the tray...little buggers cant role away under your tool trolley, never to be found again that way!!!

I have a Hydraulic bike lift, and walk up bike table with ramp...i hardly ever use either....but my work space does have workshop carpet...best thing you will ever put on your garage floor!!! Costs bugger all too...

Ha ha! Well Wolfie, if you want to trade your hardly used bike lift for some more carpet let me know! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha ha! Well Wolfie, if you want to trade your hardly used bike lift for some more carpet let me know! :thumbup:

Lol....Dunno bout anymore carpet, but what i would love is one of those street corner Crepe stall's, with the funky hot plate for making crepes on the spot...do they still have them in Paris???

Totally off topic i know, but just noticed you were from Paris...what a City! :thumbup:

:D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not buy another bike that's not worth much to learn how to do this. From what I've read in some of your posts and this one you will be in way over your head.

I only say that as I've been turning wrenches in my garage for years and still would not feel confident enough to tear into the motor.

There's a lot of special knowledge (tricks of the trade) and tools you will need once you get into the real hardware of tearing down a bike to the frame.

It's your bike do as you wish but Good Luck.:D

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not buy another bike that's not worth much to learn how to do this. From what I've read in some of your posts and this one you will be in way over your head.

I only say that as I've been turning wrenches in my garage for years and still would not feel confident enough to tear into the motor.

There's a lot of special knowledge (tricks of the trade) and tools you will need once you get into the real hardware of tearing down a bike to the frame.

It's your bike do as you wish but Good Luck.:D

Dude you are so right!!! but he needs to learn and hes gittin another bike....So lets just watch ...... LMFAO!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup: :BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, oh I know I don't have the know-how for this. That's partly why I'm doing it.

And I might not go so extreme as the engine stuff. I'll probably chicken out with that to be honest. But right now my FZ is not in great shape and a LOT of parts on it need to be replaced. I literally cannot afford to spend 4 grand at the dealership like I did last year. I don't care if it takes me 10 months I am doing this on my own. You have no idea how pissed I was at how much money they took from me over those 5 months. Freaking ludicrous. Could have bought a decent trackbike for that much money. Bastards.

Anyway, today went to bike shop to check out what they used. I think I can do something similar but need to talk to a structural guy and find out if the beam in my garage can hold that. It's a beam built up from 4 - 2x10's.