What bike did you learn on?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Started with a Suzuki GS500F, put 10,000 km on it in one Canadian riding season, upgraded to an FZ6 over this past winter. Picking it up and riding it for the first time this coming weekend

How did you like the GSF? my buddy wants to get into riding and I've got a line on a pretty good deal on one.

lostonpurpose

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad taught me on his valkyrie and I wound up riding that most of the time until I got my own bike. Worst part about it was I was 14 and if the bike was anything off perfect balance I couldn't right the damn thing.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i got my license on a suzuki dr125. it was fun. then after a break of 8 years i took some lessons to get the feeling of biking again and bought the fz6. then about 3 years ago i was given a wreck of an old bike to do up and use for work. a kawasaki kh100 of 1979. after a lot of trouble and garage hours its working. then i saw a honda h100 2 stroke of 1981 (the only road bike honda made 2 stroke) and bought it. it needed some attention but nothing serious and now im commuting on these 100 cc 2 stroke bikes. funny isnt it? i bought the fz6 as a beginner, then as i grow older and ride more i downsized the bikes!

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
1963 Honda Sport 50, in the fall of 1964. Four speed tranny and a clutch. Screamin' little 50cc engine. Got to 55 mph downhill with a tail wind, while bent over the bars. Used for about 6 months for commuting to classes in college. No formal instruction - just read the manual then rode! (Picture is ad for 1964 model, and mine was black and gray rather than red.)
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

Last edited:

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Mid 70's Yamaha AG 175 on the dirt at 7 y.o. 1972 Kawasaki Z200 (mini z900) on road at 16 y.o.. I rode every day up until 6 moths ago when I finally got my car license at the ripe old age of 41! :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mid 70's Yamaha AG 175 on the dirt at 7 y.o. 1972 Kawasaki Z200 (mini z900) on road at 16 y.o.. I rode every day up until 6 moths ago when I finally got my car license at the ripe old age of 41! :rockon:

Was that "AG" 175 a 2 stroke enduro? They were called DT125's, 175's, etc if its the same bike, just curious...

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally learned on a 1977 Yamaha XS750 triple.

But I soon after bought my first bike, a 1983 Honda NightHawk 550.

Then a 2002 Suzuki SV650s

And now my 2008 FZ6.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
1972 Honda CB360T 4000 miles......my helmet cost twice as much as it.

Great little bike, scary as hell on the freeway. Everything was wobbly and lose due to the age even though all the nuts and bolts were tight.

Found a bunch of walnuts in the engine casing when I was working on it one time. They had to have been very old, all covered in grease. At first I thought my bike came with balls...lots of balls :thumbup: but after i smashed one with a hammer I concluded a squirrel hid his winter food too well.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
How did you like the GSF? my buddy wants to get into riding and I've got a line on a pretty good deal on one.

I loved it, very simple bike, was plenty fast enough but not crazy as to get a new rider into trouble. Only gripe was it not being fuel injected, made for rough starts on chilly days. I actually just sold mine, sad to see it go but plenty excited for my fz6, picking it up Sunday

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad and I shared a Yamaha Virago 250 for a few months before I bought a 1992 Yamaha Seca II. Great bike. Slow for a 600 so you didn't have to worry about killing yourself as easily as a supersport 600. Pretty comparable to a Ninja 500 in terms of power.

Karlzone

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a moped. 2006 Derbi senda xtreme, 50cc 4,5 hp :thumbup:
I bought the fz6 last year before snow and because of european law I it has reduced power to 33hp:eyebrow:
But it feels good to have a bit more power, but not so much that you get more yo chew than you can swallow. :rolleyes:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1970 Kawasaki 175 Enduro. Would go riding in the SoCal deserts with my dad and brother and then use it to commute to work on it to my after school job out in the Valley. Man I wish I still had that bike. :(

picture.php

Last edited:

Somebuddy

Reaction score
Visit site
My first street bike was a dual sport. A Honda CRF230L, but like many others I started out on dirt bikes, more specifically on my KX80, when I was young.

F

fazergal

First bike I learned to ride was a Honda Lead 80cc and after I passed my test, had a go on a Honda C90.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my first bike a couple weeks after getting my bike license in '06, an '86 Yamaha Radian. In hindsight, should have been more patient and bought a better bike. Thing was an incredible POS. The tank was so rusted inside that it would clog the carbs every 50-100km. The second time it happened, the tech put in an inline fuel filter that would get clogged first. I had to ride with a few spare filters. Every 50km or so, it would die on the side of the road, I rolled to the shoulder and swapped it out for a fresh one.

I then decided to clean the rust out with some acid. The acid worked so well that I got a couple pinhole leaks in the bottom. Which I of course realized while riding it. Not fun riding 20km home with the thought of gas dripping on your hot valve cover. Fixed the pinholes with some JB Weld and sold it for pennies a little bit after.

After that wonderful experience, decided to spend some money and bought my '06 FZ6 in June of '07. Thankfully, I don't have to ride around with fuel filters anymore :)

IMG_0009.JPG