what are my options/cost -- lost keys

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says it all.. i lost my keys.:spank:.. what options do I have and what would it cost...

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Does your bike have the YISS/red key?

If not then you can replace the lockset. If it does then you need a new ECU too.

I don't believe that Yamaha has a record of key numbers against VINs.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your bike have the YISS/red key?

If not then you can replace the lockset. If it does then you need a new ECU too.

I don't believe that Yamaha has a record of key numbers against VINs.

I think it's a US bike.

How about the key code tag for the bike? That would have they code to cut a key. If you don't have it, a stop at a Yamaha dealer and a lookup on the bike's serial might pop a key code and you could have them make you one. Probably cheaper than a whole change out. There was someone here, recently selling an entire set-up with keys, ignition assembly, seat lock etc.

stevey722

Reaction score
Visit site
on my 08 fz6 lost the key called the lock smith and in 3 hrs of him working on it lol he made me a new key fo 90 bucks. Didn't think they could do that but they did.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so if I can summarize
- I can contact local Yamaha and they can get the key for me.
- Ask locksmith to make me a key
- Change the lock set

- Buy a new FZ6 :cheer:

Now
- Locksmith is ~ $90
- Changing lock set is ~ $90

Any idea what would dealer charge to get a key

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so if I can summarize
- I can contact local Yamaha and they can get the key for me.
- Ask locksmith to make me a key
- Change the lock set

- Buy a new FZ6 :cheer:

Now
- Locksmith is ~ $90
- Changing lock set is ~ $90

Any idea what would dealer charge to get a key

I'm not sure the dealer can get the key code but it's worth a try.....

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be easier and hassle free to just let the locksmith do it. Just have the guy GUARANTEE you that he can make one. if he cant do it then don't pay. just my 2 cents

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain! I lost the key to my Vino 125 scooter. I called a local dealer and they said if I can prove ownership they could send out and get a new key from Yamaha. I took the entire ignition switch off the scoot and took it and the title to the dealer. A few weeks they call me up and I have two new keys for my scoot.

I reassemble and it runs fine. I can't remember how much it cost, but it might be worth a call to your local Yamaha dealer.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't messed with that since 2006 but the last I knew you had to have the 4 or 5 digit key code number that is on the key plus it comes with the little piece of metal that has it on it too. some times that code is also stamped into the ignition. I would try giving your dealer a call and see if they can help you, if not then I would try the locksmith. For all of you that have that metal tag write the number in the front of your owners manual and tape that tag on the inside cover as well! I keep my title and owners manual together.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't messed with that since 2006 but the last I knew you had to have the 4 or 5 digit key code number that is on the key plus it comes with the little piece of metal that has it on it too. some times that code is also stamped into the ignition. I would try giving your dealer a call and see if they can help you, if not then I would try the locksmith. For all of you that have that metal tag write the number in the front of your owners manual and tape that tag on the inside cover as well! I keep my title and owners manual together.

There was a code stamped on my Vino's ignition switch! I forgot that's how the dealer was able to order keys from Yamaha.

Hope that helps a little. Of course you could just go buy a new one. :D