What annoys you about your FZ6?

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
1st The stock seat. After a few hours of riding, your ass is all sore.
I do not want to spend the money for an aftermarket one. Too expensive

2nd The handlebars. They're just ****ty.. Never felt comfortable, always caused pain on my wrists. Changed them for fz1, they're far better and cheap.

3rd The exhaust-muffler. What the heck was that yamaha? It's one single heavy ugly metall box with 2 holes in the end. Changed them for Leo's, lov'em!

4th Lack of power in low-mid range. Changed the 16 tooth sprocket for a 15.

5th Tiny friction zone. Changed clutch lever with 2-finger shorties. Better, but not good.

6th Clunky Clunky gear box. It hurts me to hear that metal noise coming from her internals. Nothing I did, resulted in a permanent solution. Tried different oils, chain&sprocket kits, levers, lubing, adjusting, preloading... Eventually it will always be a Clunky Clunky gear box. My biggest complain...

7th OEM throttle grips. Changed them for Harris Gel. Nice!

8th Heavy vibration in exactly the cruising speed. No fix for that :(

9th Jerky throttle control. Takes the fun away in twisties. No fix for that either, none that I'm aware of. :(

10th Barely any space under the seat. A friends SS has more space under the pillion seat storage.

Other than that, the bike rules! Best value for money. 115.000km and counting with only minor problems.

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
Crappy Brakes, Banana Seat, and trying to figure out how put the R6 internals into the FZ6 without creating compression issues. This year's mod season will definitely be a uphill battle.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
2nd and 3rd gears. Not sure what they're for. Going from 1st to 4th would save a lot of work :D

You dont do much riding in the twisties do you? Lol thats what they are for....having a blast

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd have to go with the seat. for a bike thats made for more comfortable riding they should've stepped the seat up a few notches. stock blinkers are a bit much - they had to go.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Reasonably happy with mine.

- The brakes are on the weak side, even with the R6 front end
- Pegs buzz, this bothers me a little some days, other days I don't even notice it
- Would like more power, but refuse to drop a tooth on the sprocket for the sake of touring comfort
- Less wind buffeting would be nice
- Don't like the digi tach on my '06

Overall, pretty content so far, put on 78k km and counting

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to say with the exception to minor things the only things i have found i really disliked about the bike where the stock front springs... solved by racetech :D and the lack of adjustability to the suspension set up... all other qualms with the bike can easily be remedied... whether it be windscreens/ brakes/ seats (any stock seat unless it is a dedicated touring bike will get stiff after a few hours...)/ aftermarket clutch levers.../ pegs/ etc... list goes on this bike is amazing in town.... on a country road... or at the track...

sure it isnt the fastest thing there but i can easily drag a knee scrape a peg and wear out a set of tires right on the heels of other SS 600 bikes...

I will never get rid of my fz... I will own other bikes but this is by far an awesome machine for the price... and is easily customizable to each rider...

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
  1. the clutch in traffic
  2. the choppy throttle
    neither of these bothered me too much until they did the road diet in carlisle (which is a whole other rant) which caused traffic to not move more than 15mph for half my commute.
  3. the awkward bend in the bars but fixed that with renthals
  4. the dent my right knee put it the tank at some point in time that I cant remember.

I tried to do it to the left side as well because it actually made it more comfortable but only managed to hurt myself.
Those are the only major issues I have with it. I know the rest of the bike isn't the best but I'm used to it and it does what I need it to do almost perfectly.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha annoys me

Yes Yamaha.
Why?.
They are making bad decisions concerning their products.
Two examples:
1 They ruined the V-Max.
2 They quit making the FZ6.
Two very good bikes.

As far as the FZ6 is concerned, it could use gear selector light on the instrument panel. I would`t change anything else. Very good bike.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The on off throttle annoys the 5hite out of me.
Yes it can be curred to a point with a power commander, but I shouldn't have to fork out €400.00 for the privilege.

Still love the bike though.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
The on off throttle annoys the 5hite out of me.
Yes it can be curred to a point with a power commander, but I shouldn't have to fork out €400.00 for the privilege.

Still love the bike though.

holy bawlz nelly that like $600 USD
i got one used for 175, new they are only about $300-360 USD

ill ship you one over seas for 500 euro ;)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't fit in my dorm room

bog in engine if i try to roll onto the power moderately hard (no pc so that might fix it)

all of the spots where the cicadas' guts ate through my paint even through the wax.:rant: but being a 100mph bug zapper was pretty awesome...

that yamaha quit making it

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Just the jerk when you come off a closed throttle- I have the 2009 so maybe some of the older niggles got fixed before mine.

I had an 2001 FZS6 before this and couldnt think of getting anything else but a Fazer when I came to change it and cant really fault the FZ6S2- comfortable, nippy and the standard screen even works for me and my height- got a double bubble and took it off again

86Camaro

Reaction score
Visit site
The front suspension is to soft, and a two piece seat would be awesome.....

Besides for that i think that when converted to naked it is one of the best looking bikes out there. Plus it is a blast to ride :)

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
My '06 FZ6 is new to me, and I've had a sinus infection for most of the time I've owned it, so I haven't even ridden a hundred miles yet. Still, I do find the on-off nature of the clutch a bit annoying, especially because it comes right at the end of the lever travel.

I may try a set of adjustable levers if I can't get used to it. Is there a better solution?