What annoys you about your FZ6?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about how many annoying issues the FZ6 has and yet most owners still really love this bike!

Perhaps the FZ6 is like a good woman...she has a lot of annoying issues but overall she's attractive, reliable, low-maintenance and performs!

Here's the things that annoy me about our beloved FZ6, in order of annoyance:

(Most annoying)
1. 6.5K rpm buzz! This would be livable, except that 6.5K rpms happens to be about 65 mph in 6th gear, the speed I wish to cruise on the highway at...so instead I'm forced to cruise at either 60 mph or 72 mph to get out of the "buzz zone"

2. The appearance of a sport bike and the negative attention given in traffic as a result. "A crotch rocket...he must be an A-hole!, let's cut him off!"

3. No helmet lock? Seriously?

4. A painfully rough clutch lever with a very narrow friction zone. Every other bike I've ridden has been easier to shift.

5. Footpegs are too far back for a standard motorcycle. they feel like supersport pegs yet the high handlebars means when you sit up straight in the saddle, your legs are bent backwards like riding an R6 (very painful after a long ride over several days). I think just a couple inches forward would have improved this

That's my biggest gripes with the FZ6 and yet I've owned it for 5 years now and have never thought about trading it in for a different bike! For the price the performance, reliability and ease of maintenance makes this one of the top (sporty) standard motorcycles available in the last 10 years. :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with #1 and #4 :).

My clutch pedal is butter smooth though, now that i have proper chain tension and i changed the oil. Im using 15w 50. Friction zone is still an issue.

Im not sure if it had a helmet lock is i would use it, since it seems like people around here cut the strap and steal helmets. Especially shoei :(.

I would like a smoother throttle as well. But this is all on my first bike so i dont even know what something better feels like :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with #1 and #4 :).

My clutch pedal is butter smooth though, now that i have proper chain tension and i changed the oil. Im using 15w 50. Friction zone is still an issue.

Im not sure if it had a helmet lock is i would use it, since it seems like people around here cut the strap and steal helmets. Especially shoei :(.

I would like a smoother throttle as well. But this is all on my first bike so i dont even know what something better feels like :thumbup:

The on/off jerky throttle was another one I forgot to add. :D We learn to live with it though...I've learned to apply back brake to steady the chain for on/off throttle and it makes it butter smooth.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
the twitchy throttle dude! trying to maintain speed under 15 mph is damn near impossible and going up hills at low speed is ridiculous because you have the throttle that will suddenly engage without warning and the clutch with the tiny friction zone

I'd imagine if all your riding is in a traffic laden city with steep streets that would be no fun!

99% of my riding is between 35 and 75 mph. 1% is the few seconds before I come to a stop sign or am leaving from one. :)

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
3. No helmet lock? Seriously?

I guess the '07s and up have the helmet lock... because I have one on my '09 even though I never cared to use it...

I dislike the seat... That would be the only thing I would really like to change...

The FZ6 is dead smooth compared to my Versys.. which feels like a paint mixer by comparison...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Crazy throttle control

This one is just a self conscious thing...but the way I look on the bike...makes me want a bigger bike even though this one suits me just fine

A car muffler on a bike

And thats about it other then those things I love this little bike

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. The pegs are too low, I'm getting holes in the toes of my boots when scraping the pegs, even with my toes on top of the pegs.

2. It's always trying to get me in trouble with johnny law...:spank:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
lack of ground clearance
the awkardness the undertail exahust causes when fitting an aftermarket pipe and luggage

the dent i put in the tank by accident :banghead:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
1. The pegs are too low, I'm getting holes in the toes of my boots when scraping the pegs, even with my toes on top of the pegs.

2. It's always trying to get me in trouble with johnny law...:spank:

Maybe your are trying to ride the FZ6 like an R6?:BLAA: I've only touched the pegs on mine once and didn't even notice it...just found the wear mark.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe your are trying to ride the FZ6 like an R6?:BLAA: I've only touched the pegs on mine once and didn't even notice it...just found the wear mark.

That's the beauty of the FZ IMO, I can slab it for hours, take it on a dirt road, and on occasion....ride it like an R6. :rockon: (with saddle bags and a tank bag no less). :D

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
The dent in my tank from a previous owner and the scratches I put on it yesterday when I dropped it on it's side in my garage.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont like the wqy the stock handlebar twists my wrist. it feels numb after 15 mins of riding, i learned to live with the other flaws it has. i might change the seat in the near future.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like the fact that I have to pay double for the exhaust :) since it requires 2 cans to look brilliant

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The heat from the under-seat exhaust was un-bearably HOT in the Summer monthes... Thats another reason my next bike will bean FZ1.. :rockon: :D

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
for fizzer6's number 1: I haven't noticed that jijij

2: I have an European naked version, so no sport bike appearance

3: Mine is k8 model, came with a helmet lock, however I haven't used it yet and will never do, no way I will leave my beautiful Shoei X-11 Locatelli attached to my bike.

4: I haven't found the clutch action a problem, it should be because it is my first big bike, so I learned to live with it since the beginning. Now that I have the the2wheels levers the clutch is way better.

5: Not a problem for me, I am totally used to peg and body position, for instance one day I rode a dl 650 vstrom and it felt pretty weird, didn't like it

the jerky throttle is my only complaint but slowly one gets used to live with that, properly tensioned chain is key for not noticing that much.

not a single complaint about the stock handlebar, I'm not tall for your standards, just 5'9 and my bike is an European naked version so the handlebar is different than the one on the faired versions.

the stock seat is also different to the one in the faired versions, one time I exchanged seats with a buddy that rides a red US faired version, guess what ... he loved my seat and I hated his.

lack of wind protection? not a problem for me, our curvy roads don't allow high speeds on long straights, because there aren't such :D

Since I own my FZ6 I have ridden other motorcycles and I have liked a lot some of them, liked so so another ones, and hated others.

but in Summary I really love it, almost 3 years and loving it more and more.

kidfazer56

Reaction score
Visit site
My only complaint would be the handle bars, it makes my hand go numb after about 15 mins but i will be replacing that soon. i was thinking the fz1 bars