What annoys you about your FZ6?

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
To me the most annoying thing is that there's nothing out there that I like more than it to upgrade to. Sure there are a couple of bikes out there, the F800ST and Sprint for example, that I like. After looking at the increased in payment and insurance, there's just not enough there to make me leave the FZ. I think a new seat and some Givi side cases will make the FZ the last bike I buy for a long time.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
To me the most annoying thing is that there's nothing out there that I like more than it to upgrade to. Sure there are a couple of bikes out there, the F800ST and Sprint for example, that I like. After looking at the increased in payment and insurance, there's just not enough there to make me leave the FZ. I think a new seat and some Givi side cases will make the FZ the last bike I buy for a long time.

Well maybe after you put 100k miles on it or so there will be something? :D

We can hope but the FZ is hard to beat! Dunno what crack head was in charge of the production and decided to cut the FZ6 from the lineup :spank:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I was thinking about how many annoying issues the FZ6 has and yet most owners still really love this bike!

Perhaps the FZ6 is like a good woman...she has a lot of annoying issues but overall she's attractive, reliable, low-maintenance and performs!

Here's the things that annoy me about our beloved FZ6, in order of annoyance:

(Most annoying)
1. 6.5K rpm buzz! This would be livable, except that 6.5K rpms happens to be about 65 mph in 6th gear, the speed I wish to cruise on the highway at...so instead I'm forced to cruise at either 60 mph or 72 mph to get out of the "buzz zone"

2. The appearance of a sport bike and the negative attention given in traffic as a result. "A crotch rocket...he must be an A-hole!, let's cut him off!"

3. No helmet lock? Seriously?

4. A painfully rough clutch lever with a very narrow friction zone. Every other bike I've ridden has been easier to shift.

5. Footpegs are too far back for a standard motorcycle. they feel like supersport pegs yet the high handlebars means when you sit up straight in the saddle, your legs are bent backwards like riding an R6 (very painful after a long ride over several days). I think just a couple inches forward would have improved this

That's my biggest gripes with the FZ6 and yet I've owned it for 5 years now and have never thought about trading it in for a different bike! For the price the performance, reliability and ease of maintenance makes this one of the top (sporty) standard motorcycles available in the last 10 years. :thumbup:

My complaints with the FZ6:

1) The fairing makes far too much turbulence.
2) The OEM seat foam dies in about 3 years/20K miles. That starts the underseat exhaust cooking your arse..
3) There is not enough alternator to power accessories.
4) The OEM suspension components are marginal. Too light of a spring up front, and the same applies at the back.
5) The lights.

My compliments:

1) romping motor
2) good looks
3) decent range
4) good sounds even OEM
5) price point. best in the business for what you get.

Traf001

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to hate the "buzz" too but during my last long distance trip, every time my feet started aching from the foot pegs I'd put my heels on the pegs and run the engine in the "buzz" zone. It's like having a built-in magic-fingers massage. 5 minutes of that and I was good-to-go for a couple more hours.

The lack of a friction zone does annoy me. Compared to my Speed Triple it's not an easy bike to ride in traffic.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
1) the CAW-CHUMMMMP of 1st to 2nd gear. it's so difficult to make a nice smooth shift from 1 to 2. all the rest are effortless.

2) tiny friction zone

3) snatchy throttle

what do i love ?
1) the whirrrrr of the fuel pump
2) whirrrr of the engine idling
3) whirrrr or the engine lumping cold
4) rawwwrrrrr of the engine @ interstate speeds
5) ra KAKAKAKAKAK of the engine on decell
6) ffffWAAAK of the engine on downshift (powerup)
7) wwwwwwww RAWWWWW of the engine going by
8) never checking valves
9) another engine noise
10) the engine
11) really, i had to go all the way to eleventy - the engine. man it's a nice sounding piece of stuff. really. wow. nice. thank you yamaha.

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the main thing that bugs me is the clunky tranny. My little GS 500 shifted just by thinking about it. Guess I got spoiled. The seat could be nicer but doesn't seem to bad. I'm kinda getting use to the on-off thing.

Overall I think the bike is a killer value, the overall quality seems excellent. It makes a great sport tourer!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
for me its my wrists going numb. As far as the buzz. I grew up on 2 stroke motocross bikes and 4 stroke atv's As far as im concerned the FZ6 is pretty smooth....