What a day this has been...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gorgeous morning for a small NJ group ride.

Was hoping to get 4-5 hours of backcountry goodness in, but what happened instead.. before we ever started the ride, my damn battery went belly up!!

Tried to bump-start it.. no go (this is where FZ1 does not shine.. it's probably pushing 530 pounds with my current setup).

metallicat was kind enough to let me borrow his bike so I could ride home (only 5 minutes away) and pick up battery tender lead extension so we could try to jump start my bike from his. We let it charge for 10 minutes... zero luck.

Next idea.. we ride 2-up to nearest Autozone (hoping they'll have a charger). QuietEagle follows us to the store. We get to Autozone and the guy doesn't have any cables that will hook onto my battery, not to mention he doesn't have a charger.. he just uses another battery for this purpose.

At this point I decide I might as well go home and do some research (figure out what battery I can get locally and if it IS in fact my battery that's faulty).

metallicat and I ride 2-up back to my place with QuietEagle in tow. metallicat rides back home (that was worth the trip from Brooklyn :( ) and QuietEagle and I take my car and go for some pizza (at least we had really nice lunch!).

At this point codeblue texts me to let me know that he's waiting for us at a point along our route.. D'OH! Sorry, man.

I get home and hook up the battery to my car to try to charge it up. 15 minutes in and it went from 12.2 to 12.5, which *should* be enough. Wife takes me to Wawa and I hook up the battery. Nothing!.. barely cranked over and dropped to 12. Now we go to a proper car parts store and they test my battery for me. Sure enough it's totally done.. under load voltage dropped to 5 and after that only bounced back up to 11.5. Unfortunately the car store does not sell bike batteries.

Off to Autozone again. I look at the batteries they have for bikes.. Everstart and Magna. NO application guide.. WTF? People working at the store have no clue, of course. So back home for some research. Found that Magna AGM EXT9 fits my bike.. call the store to confirm that they have it in stock.. they do! Back to the store AGAIN.. pick up the battery, back to Wawa parking lot. Drop battery in and bike fires up immediately! :cheer:

Checked the voltage .. 13.something at idle, so it's charging fine. Took it out for a 30 minute spin and measured voltage with bike off when I got home. 13 even, so stator must be fine.

I still feel bad that I had the guys ride out here and we didn't actually get to do any riding together :(

I suppose it could have been worse .. if my battery went at the farthest point from home it would have sucked exponentially more.

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You my friend, have had what I like to call an El Negro Gato Day... :(

Hopefully you won't see another one in a long, long time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
bummer; Good effort and pathetic stores can't offer an application guide! Been there done that!
I can say my day went much the same. Turned off the F350 4X4 while waiting at the DMV for emissions test. Go to crank it and ZERO, ZIP, NADDA! Have my son bring a meter by (blocks away), 0.4V across the terminals on battery that just started the truck! Granted its 7.5L and wants a 850 cold cranking amps - The day ended with $250 out of pocket expense! :Flip:

Moral; you never know when a battery might just kiss it good bye!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The good news is we both in place were someone COULD help us! Man, think of all the times alone out in nowhere when you're life depends on it!

In actuality; its is unfortunate but and may even border on Good Timing cause it sure could'a turned out WORSE at another time!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bummer; Good effort and pathetic stores can't offer an application guide! Been there done that!
I can say my day went much the same. Turned off the F350 4X4 while waiting at the DMV for emissions test. Go to crank it and ZERO, ZIP, NADDA! Have my son bring a meter by (blocks away), 0.4V across the terminals on battery that just started the truck! Granted its 7.5L and wants a 850 cold cranking amps - The day ended with $250 out of pocket expense! :Flip:

Moral; you never know when a battery might just kiss it good bye!

UGH!! I forgot to mention.. I called nearest Yamaha dealer to see if they had OEM battery in stock.. they did.. mind you this is traditional lead acid battery.. $220!! I got an AGM aftermarket one for $99. Could have gone with aftermarket lead acid for $60. Nuts!

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Even thought we didn't hit the winding roads, lunch was great and I am glad to see that you were able to get it fixed simply. I guess 5 years is a good life for a battery, but too bad there isn't any warning.

I did take 601 back down south and it was much more enjoyable than the first leg of 206. :thumbup:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And in the middle of all this I txt Eric to see how the ride is going.....:ban:

So did I....twice.
I thought I missed them at the rendezvous spot on 206 & Pottersville Road but Eric informed me of his bike status.
Again sorry to hear about the battery issue and the tragedy with the parts store.
I decided to ride off to Princeton and eat at one of the local places, took a nice back road around the area and saw some cool looking homes.
Maybe we can try again next time since my idea of winterizing is keeping my bike on the road.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Then there are the parts we sometimes don't see. The gift of friends, family etc. Life gave you a dead battery today and look at what you got! :) You're ready for next weekend! :BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So did I....twice.
I thought I missed them at the rendezvous spot on 206 & Pottersville Road but Eric informed me of his bike status.
Again sorry to hear about the battery issue and the tragedy with the parts store.
I decided to ride off to Princeton and eat at one of the local places, took a nice back road around the area and saw some cool looking homes.
Maybe we can try again next time since my idea of winterizing is keeping my bike on the road.

I took the friday after ThanksGiving off, maybe we can try again?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
you cant expect to go to an auto parts store and expect them to have a bunch of motorcycle specific stuff. I work at Autozone (and I hate my life for it btw) and the only reason I am able to help with that stuff is because I ride and I know how to switch to the motorcycle/atv side of the Ztasc system...find someone thats not an idiot :thumbup:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My sympathy for your battery "problem". I had this same experience with a Yamaha TW200 and a Yuasa AGM battery. It gave me 130+ cold cranking amps for four years, but never "started to show signs of going bad". It just died one day, fortunately at the house rather than on the road somewhere. I believe this is typical of AGM batteries, regardless their maker (the TW200 forum is full of reports of AGM batteries' "sudden death" just like yours). You may want to mark the battery somewhere highly visible with the installation date, and replace it at the end of the manufacturer's guarantee period, before it has a chance to die on you again - at a much farther distance from home or in less convenient circumstances.
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to mark the battery somewhere highly visible with the installation date, and replace it at the end of the manufacturer's guarantee period

Warranty is 3 months :(

I BETTER get more than 3 months out of this one.. :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you cant expect to go to an auto parts store and expect them to have a bunch of motorcycle specific stuff.

I absolutely would not expect that. However, they DO carry motorcycle specific batteries (both Magna and Duralast) and I would expect them to have a reference to see if it fits my bike.

Forgot one more *fun* moment. AFTER I saw Magna at the store, came home and looked up the model and called the store to see if it was in stock the guy says "We don't carry those". ''umm.. I was there 5 minutes ago and I saw them on the shelf".. "oh.. the NEW Magna?? Yes yes.. we have them"

D'OH!!!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your bad luck, Eric :(

I know how you feel I had something similar happen several months ago, I was running a local monthly ride in the evening (together with a mate of mine), anyway as I rode away I realised I had a flat tyre, I had a couple of telephone numbers of some of the guys, but unfortunately none of them were riding that day :( i ended up cycling to the starting point a quarter of an hour too late (on the other side of town) only to find that everyone had gone home (as I had the route).
Since then I've made sure I've got everyone's number.

I feel really sorry for everybody, but it's just one of those things that can happen to anyone.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oi! Sorry to hear about the trouble! I went through several days of bump starting/searching for a battery recently, so I feel your pain. Glad you at least weren't stranded during your ride!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You live near a Cycle Gear? They have an inhouse battery with a lifetime guarantee and as a Rider Coach, you get 30% off. I've gone through three of their battteries thru the course of the life of my bike.