Well That Was Cold As Hell!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I probably won't be riding my motorcycle for a couple weeks now :(

I got hit by an SUV while I was riding my bicycle. She bent my front tire into a U-shape and turned the front forks. I have a grade 2 strain of my MCL on my left leg and I may have retorn a ligament in my shoulder that required surgery in 2009.

Can't believe it. The day after I pass my motorcycle test and I am ON MY WAY to the DMV to get my motorcycle endorsement, I get hit while riding my bicycle.

Worst part is, I don't have health insurance, I was on my bicycle so no motor vehicle insurance. It is essentially me vs State Farm and their lawyers (the woman who hit me has State Farm). There were no witnesses and she said that I went into her lane when she came into mine and cut me off in a construction zone.

This sucks!

I'm so sorry to hear. You as a bicyclist have a right to an entire lane. You are a essentially a vehicle. So if you were in a lane and she was trying to pass you, then she was trying to occupy a lane you already had a right to.

Good luck with the insurance battle. And don't be afraid to get back on two wheels!

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
That Bitch, you should find a lawyer that specializes in bicycle accidents. Did the police respond and fill out a report?
I frequent a bicycling forum that I could look up and see if they know of any lawyers in your area.

Yes, a police officer came by and filled out an accident report but he was unable to give a citation because of insufficient evidence that either one of us committed a violation.

I am not sure exactly what to do. I called a lawyer this morning and he told me the first steps I need to take. I am going to call the driver's insurance company in about a half hour to submit a claim.

I just know this is going to go to court and be a pain in the rear for way too long. So annoying.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear. You as a bicyclist have a right to an entire lane. You are a essentially a vehicle. So if you were in a lane and she was trying to pass you, then she was trying to occupy a lane you already had a right to.

Good luck with the insurance battle. And don't be afraid to get back on two wheels!

My guess is that she assumed I wasn't there. I was behind a big truck and I couldn't see her until she used her SUV to destroy my bike. She didn't even slam on the brakes until she hit me. I was going, probably 2mph and she was going at least 12mph.

If my shoulder is good to go then I will be buying a new bicycle next week and I will be on my motorcycle as soon as my body feels okay.

midknight

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Well That Was Cold As Hell!

I hate to sound like a dick, but I have to disagree with your statement. At least in the state of Tennessee you are only required to keep three feet between you and the bicycle and can pass when safe. I also disageee that the bicycle is a vehicle and had a right to the full lane...the bicycle isn't registered, taxed, or tagged...in no way do I see where a bicycle has the same rights to a lane as a motorcycle or car. I haven't read the entire thread amd may be out of line posting this but just had to throw that out there. I Hate that some SUV ran you over though!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to sound like a dick, but I have to disagree with your statement. At least in the state of Tennessee you are only required to keep three feet between you and the bicycle and can pass when safe. I also disageee that the bicycle is a vehicle and had a right to the full lane...the bicycle isn't registered, taxed, or tagged...in no way do I see where a bicycle has the same rights to a lane as a motorcycle or car. I haven't read the entire thread amd may be out of line posting this but just had to throw that out there. I Hate that some SUV ran you over though!

You are correct: a bicycle is not the same as a motorcycle or other vehicle. A bicycle is essentially a pedestrian with the right to ride in the street.

I think people or mixed up a bit. She hit me head on. I was heading east bound, she was heading west bound. A vehicle was in front of me and she moved into my lane and struck me.

In Nebraska, the law is to ride your bicycle to the far right as safely possible. The far right of the lane was full of mud, gravel, sand and debris because of the construction so I had to move into the center third of the lane, that's where she struck me.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site

I went to the my city ordinance website; I stand corrected:

010 Traffic Laws Applied to Persons Riding Bicycles.
Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to th
e driver of a vehicle under Title 10 of the Lincoln Municipal Code, except as to special regulations in Chapter 10.48, and except as to those provisions
of Title 10 of the Lincoln Municipal Code which by their nature can have no application, or which are expressly excluded. (Ord. 15649 §1; July
9, 1990: P.C. §10.64.005: Ord. 10246 §5; September7, 1971).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the bad luck. This may sound odd, but I was relieved to hear that you were on your bicycle and not on your motorcycle. Crazy, I know.

Don't under estimate State Farm, they are probably one of the best insurance agencies around. I never read a thread that involved State Farm that turned out negatively, part of the reason why I elect to stick with them.

Heal up, and keep us posted.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I probably won't be riding my motorcycle for a couple weeks now :(

I got hit by an SUV while I was riding my bicycle. She bent my front tire into a U-shape and turned the front forks. I have a grade 2 strain of my MCL on my left leg and I may have retorn a ligament in my shoulder that required surgery in 2009.

Can't believe it. The day after I pass my motorcycle test and I am ON MY WAY to the DMV to get my motorcycle endorsement, I get hit while riding my bicycle.

Worst part is, I don't have health insurance, I was on my bicycle so no motor vehicle insurance. It is essentially me vs State Farm and their lawyers (the woman who hit me has State Farm). There were no witnesses and she said that I went into her lane when she came into mine and cut me off in a construction zone.

This sucks!

Terrible news. I hope you heal up fast and have better luck on the motorcycle. :(

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, Army of Darkness, that's terrible! :(

What VegasRider said, concerning State Farm. I had a real good experience with them, they technically didn't have to pay a claim but decided to pay it anyway. I'm a customer for life.

Keep us up to date on what happens, and Good Luck! :thumbup: