Water under gas cap?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on stripping the area to bare metal on Wednesday. I'll apply a rust inhibitor and throw some paint on it.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on stripping the area to bare metal on Wednesday. I'll apply a rust inhibitor and throw some paint on it.

My uncle builds street rods. I ended up having him tape it off, sandblast the area under the cap, shoot it with some self etching primer and then some gloss black over the top. Haven't noticed any more corrosion.

You could probably get that done at a local body shop for ~$50 depending since it is such a small area. But that's just a guess.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went ahead and striped the rust and paint off the effected area today. I read good things about Permetex Rust Treatment so I thought I would give that a try. I wanted Rust Bullet, but it wasn't available locally.
Here is everything I used today. Pretty simple!

attachment.php

It a little pitting, but nothing to be concerned about.

attachment.php

I went ahead and applied the protectant to the entire section.

attachment.php

I let it dry for about an hour and then applied another coat. This is what it looked like after about 6 hours and 2 coats.

attachment.php

Installed the cap and called it a day.

attachment.php

The bike will sit outside all winter, so come spring I'll pull the cap and see just how well it works.

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Apologies for the YEARS later bump here. My 05 FZ6 is completely rusted under the gas cap. It's almost impossible now for me to lock and unlock it. So it seems the problem here was a pinched drain line? Did all of you guys with this problem use a rust remover product?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO - the fuel vapor likely breaks the paint down somewhat. Now add that kinked hose under the tank and water backs up under fill cap. The combination kills the paint.

Because it'd take a whole thread on how to stop rust; I'll simply state that if you get the rust removed, used a self etching primer and then top coated it with a Epoxy based final coat (a two part finish with a hardener), that it should hold up well for years to come.

Thanks - this $bump$ just helped me connect some dots. . . Two vent hoses. One is to drain under the cap and the other is to vent the tank! Dah!

That drain port under the filler cap mechanism explains why water came out of my vent hose when I took the kink out of it (when I got my used bike). I always wondered how so much moisture could condense in a vent tube. This explains that it didn't condense; it was trapped there!

Like these picture here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13820-update-corrosion-under-gas-cap.html

Mine:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uestion-gas-tank-leak-if-full.html#post391499