Water temperature light on dashboard

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
This afternoon after a spirited ride we stopped for a few minutes to chat before starting the engine again (FZ6S2) and the temperature warning light came on and the temperature was 116degC.

Luckily the temperature went back to its normal 85-90 straight away as soon as I got going again but I have noticed if I am stuck in traffic on a hot day that it can rise to >105 and the fan doesnt come on- what temperature should the thermostat cut the fan in and does it/ should it also run off the battery so that it will cool the engine with the ingnition off?

Cheers

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say let it run in the driveway and make sure the fans kicking in. Also a few members have reported a small pebble immobilizing the fan, the fan should definitely come on well before the warning light though
Edit: if the fans not working correctly check the fuse box, then grab the voltmeter and see if the fans getting power, I'm sure cliff can help in more detail lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1^^^ on that, plus it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your coolant, if it's old maybe go ahead and flush it out and replace

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
With the ignition key switched to off, no, the fan will not run. I have in the past left the ignition key on briefly, and yes, when it gets warm enough, the fan does kick on. However, since the engine isn't running, the water pump isn't running, so I don't think there's actually much cooling going on.

Perhaps one thing you could do is just not shut your bike off immediately after a spirited run. Let it idle for a minute or so, stabilize the temps, remove any hot spots, keep coolant running, etc.

And yes, if you haven't done so any time soon, change the coolant.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
One more point - I think the fan should kick on at 100C. If I find out different, I'll correct myself. I'm trying to think where I read this ... owner's manual?

Anybody feel free to correct me.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
With the ignition key switched to off, no, the fan will not run. I have in the past left the ignition key on briefly, and yes, when it gets warm enough, the fan does kick on. However, since the engine isn't running, the water pump isn't running, so I don't think there's actually much cooling going on.

Perhaps one thing you could do is just not shut your bike off immediately after a spirited run. Let it idle for a minute or so, stabilize the temps, remove any hot spots, keep coolant running, etc.

And yes, if you haven't done so any time soon, change the coolant.

Very good advice. Many people do not realize that an engine nearly always gets hotter after you kill it. "Idling down", does indeed help temperatures to stabilize, (ESPECIALLY on air-cooled engines).
A major helicoptor manufacurer, (who used piston engines), recommended in their owner's manual to always let the engine idle down after a run, instead of just shutting it off immediately. Water cooled engines are not as sensitive as the coolant helps the temperature stabilization process constantly. Some bikes, (such as my son's Ninja), do run the fan after you shut off the ignition. If the thermostat is functioning properly, the water will continue to circulate, (to a MUCH lesser extent), even in a dead engine. We have really great engines on these bikes. I would suspect low coolant first, an inoperative fan second and a bad thermostat last. Of course there are always bad caps, bad pumps, sensors and plugged systems, etc... Again, you gave good advice. Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say let it run in the driveway and make sure the fans kicking in. Also a few members have reported a small pebble immobilizing the fan, the fan should definitely come on well before the warning light though
Edit: if the fans not working correctly check the fuse box, then grab the voltmeter and see if the fans getting power, I'm sure cliff can help in more detail lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

+1 on the above..

Its not unusual for a rock to get stuck inbetween the fan motor and the radiator.. Unfortunatly, it burns up the electric fan before it blowes the fuse... Make sure initially, the fan will spin freely by hand.

If it does, run 12 volts direct to the two leads of the fan(disconected from the harness), it should spin/run. If it doesn't, the fan motor is fried... if it does spin with 12 volts, as stated above, start checking fuses/relay and eventually the switch that activates the fan..

*Approx 90-95% of the time, its a rock/pebble in the fan and the fan's fried...

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys- really useful advice

I will check my fan out as suggested as soon as I get a minute

Had the bike nearly two years now and suspected before that the fan doesnt run when I am stuck in traffic and then you get on the open road and the temperature comes down and you forget to check when you get home (or at least I do)

Coolant change- its a 2009 bike so I guess it could do with changing... and brake fluid I guess- so many things to do so little time :(

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify; the light came on after sitting with the engine off (a short stop) and remained on until you traveled a distance down the road?

My 08 on a 76F day will climb up to 205F in traffic. Fan kicks in around 210F. Coolant is less than a year old.

As mentioned; the moment you chop the key there is still the same amount of BTUs (heat) that needs to be displaced but the cooling system is off. The temp will climb. This is normal. 2 things: don't lug the engine and don't run the p$ss out of it minutes before shut down.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
my 07 turns on around 208 -210 i recently noticed it getting hot it hit up to 217 on me but was hot stop n go traffic, old antifreeze to

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good advice. Many people do not realize that an engine nearly always gets hotter after you kill it. "Idling down", does indeed help temperatures to stabilize, (ESPECIALLY on air-cooled engines).
A major helicoptor manufacurer, (who used piston engines), recommended in their owner's manual to always let the engine idle down after a run, instead of just shutting it off immediately. Water cooled engines are not as sensitive as the coolant helps the temperature stabilization process constantly. Some bikes, (such as my son's Ninja), do run the fan after you shut off the ignition. If the thermostat is functioning properly, the water will continue to circulate, (to a MUCH lesser extent), even in a dead engine. We have really great engines on these bikes. I would suspect low coolant first, an inoperative fan second and a bad thermostat last. Of course there are always bad caps, bad pumps, sensors and plugged systems, etc... Again, you gave good advice. Thanks.
+1
Liquid cooling doesn't do much good when the bikes off!

I've had my bike hit 5 bars once, and it dropped down to 3 by idling in a shaded area. Would've taken twice as long with the bike off.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
My fan went down this evening. It was making some final gasps for life when I turned it off after riding and then the fan died. As stated, the fan should kick in at 100 degree Celsius and the engine temperature light will come on at 120 degrees Celsius. My mechanic and I checked the fuses and then finally took the fan out, hooked it to 12v and nothing happened. It was too late to order a new one so hopefully tomorrow morning. It's a long weekend here in Korea so I would hate to be without a bike for it. BTW, fans are pricey! :spank:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Letting the bike idle down may actual increase the heat rather than decrease it after a ride. Radiators are meant to work best while traveling at speed. You should see your coolest temps while moving at regular speeds.

A quick side story. I had my Buell CityX vapor lock on me once :(. 100ish degree day, stop and go traffic. When I shut it off, It wouldn't start again for a few hours. Damned air cooled motors.

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As I have an 06 I have to measure by bars, but I can tell you that a nice easy ride around the block after some spirited riding can really help with the coolant temp issue as can letting it idle for a couple minutes in the driveway the fan should come on to move air over the rad, as mentioned before if there is no air moving over the rad there is very little cooling going on.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Fan comes on at 212 (100c). After shutting down on a hot day I've seen my bike's coolant jump up to almost 230 (110). If the temps are under 80 I would feel comfortable riding my bike with a fried fan for a few days. Only after sitting for a very long period of time does my fan kick on. But it's your bike do what you feel comfortable doing.