Warm up?

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really. But not wise to first rev up engine during cold days. Start out with slow riding. Your temp gauge will indicate low temp, until about 120 deg F. Common sense mostly.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I normally just wait for the RPMs to drop a little. During that short period of time, I'm busy putting on my gear.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
just dont get on it good till the bar stops blinking, it really doesnt take that long for these bikes to warm up...my commute is 2 miles and it is warmed up by the time i get to work....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On a cold day, I let my bike warm up until the idle drops as the choke closes - usually 1-2mins.

During that time, I'm putting my helmet and gloves on.

Cheers,
Rick

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The ecu runs open loop when the engine coolant temp sensor is not telling the computer it's warm which means the. Computer doesn't optimize any outputs it's really only running on pre programmed outputs not reacting to the inputs by the sensors, so it's best to allow the engine to run in close loop which means allowing it to warm, easy to that by starting then getting your gear on.

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
How about yourself getting warmed up? :D
I always take it slow the first 15 min to 'get into it', after that I start driving faster and faster in each turn.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a cold day, I let my bike warm up until the idle drops as the choke closes - usually 1-2mins.

During that time, I'm putting my helmet and gloves on.

Cheers,
Rick

+1 on the above.

Besides that, I'll (if possible) keep the RPMs/speeds (for me under 4-5K RPM's) slower than normal until AT LEAST the coolant gets to temp.

Even at that, the coolant may be at 180 degree's, the oil IS NOT. I'm fortunate enough to have areas I can take it easy until fully warmed (coolant and oil). I definitly DON'T rag it until its FULLY warmed up, including the oil.

Yes, the engines are about bullet proof but its still an engine, common sense will make your engine last a long time...

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
It takes a couple of min. to roll the bike out, close the door, get my gear on, and lock up. That was enought time for the carb. 250.

Thanks guys.

kawkx500

Reaction score
Visit site
my bike never moves until the temp gauge reaches at least 130. It doesnt matter how hot or cold it is outside. After 130, then i run it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The ecu runs open loop when the engine coolant temp sensor is not telling the computer it's warm which means the. Computer doesn't optimize any outputs it's really only running on pre programmed outputs not reacting to the inputs by the sensors, so it's best to allow the engine to run in close loop which means allowing it to warm, easy to that by starting then getting your gear on.

^This! You will actually burn more fuel by riding before the engine reaches operating temp than if you let it warm up 2-3 minutes. Use this time to put your gear on, load up your luggage, etc. It's also better for the lubrication system to come up to pressure and temperature with no load on the engine.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always start my bike, then TCLOCK (well, not the oil), then gear. By the time I'm geared up the bike is warm and ready to go and I still take it easy for about 2 or 3 miles (e.g. until I hit the freeway).