Warm up time

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Not long - especially when I'm worried about annoying the neighbors and waking the baby in the AM. Just long enough to let the idle steady a bit and then I take it easy (under 6k rpm) until the light stops blinking.

Edit: do the newer bikes with analog tach have a blinking light until they reach temp (like the digital tach bikes) or is it just the ability to read the coolant temp on the display?

Last edited:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
For my '07, when I first get a numeric value of coolant temperature to display.

The LIT-11626-20-60 owner's manual states it is OK to go ahead with riding when the message “Lo” is displayed. It also states "For maximum engine life, always warm the engine up before starting off. Never accelerate hard when the engine is cold!"

I think in general if the engine is cold, as in cold, it would be best to warm it up some.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Not long - especially when I'm worried about annoying the neighbors and waking the baby in the AM. Just long enough to let the idle steady a bit and then I take it easy (under 6k rpm) until the light stops blinking.

Edit: do the newer bikes with analog tach have a blinking light until they reach temp (like the digital tach bikes) or is it just the ability to read the coolant temp on the display?

No, they display LO on the screen until it reaches over 100 F.

I will start my bike and put my gear on while it warms up. Usually around 2 minutes. The manual says it is ok to ride when cold, just no hard acceleration til it warms up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mglowe is on it. Pretty much hop on a ride easily and smoothly until you are up to 165/175. If you hammer it cold you will accelerate ring and valve guide wear.

The fastest way to warm up any engine is to ride/drive it easily. Sitting takes a long time and does nothing but leave the cold idle circuit on longer = more pollution.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
For my '07, when I first get a numeric value of coolant temperature to display.

The LIT-11626-20-60 owner's manual states it is OK to go ahead with riding when the message “Lo” is displayed. It also states "For maximum engine life, always warm the engine up before starting off. Never accelerate hard when the engine is cold!"

I think in general if the engine is cold, as in cold, it would be best to warm it up some.
I do the same thing. Even though it says its ok to ride when its "Lo" I never do. I'm never in such a rush i cant wait about a minute or so for it to warm up a bit. I usually start it, then put on my helmet, sunglasses, gloves and then mount the bike. By then it usually is warmed up.

Last edited:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just warm mine up until hubby can turn down the choke on his vmax....figure if his beast is warmed up thats lots of time for mine to get warmed up. Normally 1-2 minutes.

farish

The Beast™
Reaction score
Visit site
2-3 mins till temp is at least 50 - 70 degrees. I had a Bad experience wth small cc bike ( 200 cc cruiser), which involved top end overhaul.:eek::squid:

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
sit on seat.... put key in... turn key.... watch the lights light up and tachometer go up and down in amazement :):Flash:... i love that part... press ignition... go go go :rockon:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Turn it on. Zip jacket, put helmet on, glasses/sunglasses, gloves and ride. Usually it is about 100-110 degrees by then. I usually don't go over 4500rpm until it is in normal operating temps.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Gear up, hop on, as I'm rolling down the driveway, I hit the go button. It's usually warmed up by the time I get out of my subdivision and on to the 'big' roads.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I wait till the 1st bar appears and I wear my gear in meanwhile. In winter I get more time but during summers I just have to wait to start it till i am only left with my helmet and gloves to be put on.

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
It's supposed to "warm up" first? :Flip:

Kidding - mine is an 07, and I wait until the temp shows a number before I get on it... backing it out of the space and getting situated, then negotiating through speed-bump hell, where I live, keeps me off the throttle until everything is good.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
i like to let mine warm up to 180 on the digital temp readout on my 07 because I have a cop who lives across the street (he's really cool) so I like to tear ass out of my driveway to mess with him lol :thumbup:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit start, grab the throttle, bounce it off the rev limiter a couple times, and wa-la, good to go:rockon:

j/k

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
mglowe is on it. Pretty much hop on a ride easily and smoothly until you are up to 165/175. If you hammer it cold you will accelerate ring and valve guide wear.

The fastest way to warm up any engine is to ride/drive it easily. Sitting takes a long time and does nothing but leave the cold idle circuit on longer = more pollution.

Right on. :thumbup:
One of the best advantages of a modern fuel injected engine (be it bike or car) is that you can move off very soon after startup. As Hellgate correctly points out, the engine will warm up quicker if you move off and just take it easy for a few minutes. Letting the engine "warm up" by letting it sit and idle can arguably cause more engine wear than starting it and moving off while the engine is "cold".
I also give this same advice to my (car) customers.