VStrom Handguard Mod

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
So since I have some time on my hands and off of the bike I believe I am going to attempt to install the VStrom Handguards on my FZ. It looks as though it should be pretty straight forward. I have ordered the parts from PartsShark since I could not find the "kit" online. I am certain there will be some nuts and bolts that will need replacing or modified to get the exact fit I want.

Anyone else that has doen this please chime in with your advice and experience. I think the only thing that I may need are the fancy elongated bolts for the Wee-strom throttle side to bolt the handguards to. I currently have the FZ-1 handle bars on the SWMotech bar up and backs.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless your installing a vstrom throttle and clutch assembly be prepared for a lot more more then what you think, the guards are made just for their controls and bolts to the controls, IMO you better off going generic.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the problem is the fitment between the guard and the windscreen/fairing on the faired versions. The "nekid" riders :BLAA:have a really wide selection available to them.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
It is done and was not that difficult. The parts I ordered were from PartsShark. Here is the list of what I ordered and what I actually used.

Description Part number Price

(1) Cover, Knuckle, R 57341-27G02-291 $18.73
(1) Cover, Knuckle, L 57541-06G10-291 $18.81
(1) Screw 09125-06118 $1.54
(4) Washer, 6.5x16x1 09160-06130 $4.56
(1) Nut 08319-2106A $1.14

Here are some parts I had to make this go together nicely.

A lever pivot bolt for the brake lever off of an XR 400 to be used on the brake lever. I did not have the part number for the Vstrom part at the time I ordered my parts but did find the part number for this after the fact on an FJR forum. It is labeled as Bolt, Lever 57431-06G00. If you go this route you will need one more of the above screws.

I also used a piece of scrap aluminum bar I had 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide and 4" long to start. Fabbing this up took a little time, but really made things work nicely. I will try and get the pics up ASAP.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
First picture is a head on shot of the handguards in place. Please keep in mind I have the FZ-1 bars and also a set of SW Motech up and backs. I have no contact issues with the handguards to any of the body or tank.

The next picture to the right is of the small bracket I had to fab up to connect the handguard to the clutch lever bracket. the hole that is on the handguard end of the bracket is a round hole to fit the bolt, washer and nut I ordered from Partsshark. The hole on the other end was drilled and then Dremelled to fit the lever bolt so it would not spin when you tighten the nut from below the lever.

The third pic is a shot looking at the underside of the handguard where the factory bolt tab was removed so that the guard did not interfere with the lever. These are the lever from The two Wheels. You can also see the factory Yamaha nut for the lever pivot bolt.

Fourth picture (far right) is of the throttle and brake lever side. This was a very easy install. I had an XR400 lever pivot bolt that worked great. It even took the Yamaha factory nut on the bottom. It was a little bit of a chore to squeeze the guard in enough to get the nut and washer on, but there was plenty of thread to catch and make secure.

Last pic is from the back of the bike for a view of what the rider would see.

I had to Dremel the attachments on the handguards for the factory bar ends to fit through. I also was careful to make sure the throttle did not bind against the handguard on the throttle side. this may take some moving of the controls or cutting of your grip and throttle tube a bit.

All and all I think it turned out OK.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to shabby, looks like they worked out better then I thought they would. Good job!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't hand guards get in the way of the fareing when the handle bars are a full lock? That was one concern I had with hand guards. I had bought the MADD hand guards and that's the problem I had with them. Maybe I did not mount them right but I am sure I did. Thanks

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
MXGolf,

I have the FZ-1 bars and the SWMotech brackets that probably gave me just enough room to where I do not make contact with anything at full lock left or right.

Thanks for the positive input Chevyfazer. It took some head scratching for sure. After the direction was chosen it was full steam ahead and the palstic dust was flyin'.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! I've been using the V Strom Handguards on my FJR for years (easier fit) and love them for cold weather duty.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
The best thing about it is that it works. Looks are great but function comes first. Thanks for all of the great comments. I am thinking of combining the hardware into a package and making it available. All you would need to do is get the knuckle guards.