Any former VStrom riders/owners?

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Hi all, I posted here a couple years ago when I was going through my "holy crap I need another motorcyle phase" when doing some research on the FZ6. I ended up getting a sweet deal on a barely used K7 Suzuki DL650 VStrom...

Anyways, I've had the bike almost 2 years now, and part of me craves something just a tad different. My thoughts keep drifting back to the FZ6. Don't get me wrong, the Wee-Strom is a great bike, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for me at this point. I was hoping to get into a little light dual-sporting with it, but that just hasn't been the case. I find myself craving a little more punch at the higher end of the spectrum, and frankly, something a tad easier on the eyes.

I mainly use it for commuting, light-duty touring, and twisties fun whenever I get the chance. For those 3 purposes, it would seem the FZ's are extremely well suited. I'd even like to throw in a track day every now and then.

So has anyone made the jump from 'Strom to FZ? Anyone own both? I'd like to see how they compare from someone who has decent experience on both bikes. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice?

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own both, well my fiancee has the Strom & me the FZ.

They are totally different bikes for totally different purposes. Its impossible to compare them, ones an adventure/tourer & the other is a sportsbike.

Just lucky that we have both.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother had the V Strom 1000 & gave it a flogging. He road it far & wide spending time on the dirt & road. Basically he used it exactly how it was designed to be used.
This pic was taken in far north NSW where he was lost for 3 days.
Strom5.jpg

It took about 9 months to get the dual purpose touring bug outta his system & swapped it for a GSXR 1000. My post has nothing to do with the FZ6 but my point is.... if you are going to use the bike on dirt & tar its hard to go past it in the bang for buck category. If your not going to take it on dirt could certainly do worse than the FZ6 as a replacement. If you can afford to keep both................. why not :D

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an 08 which I sold to get a four wheeler. I used the left over cash to purchase my 05 FZ6. I'd love to get back on a Strom. It fit me better and I was much more comfortable other than the crappy seat. But, I think crappy seats are inherent with any stock seat. Any chance you'd be interested in a trade for a low mileage (5k) blue 05 FZ6?

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Thanks for the advice, don't know yet whether or not I'm going to hold onto it or use it as a trade-in. I still owe about 1500 on it. With a decent down payment I could probably get myself a decent FZ with no money owed after a trade-in. I would really like to get into some dual-sporting, but my lack of experience gives me hesitation on the 'Strom. It feels slightly heavy and cumbersome to me on the street, I would probably be better suited with something like a DRZ for off-road purposes.

I just want more ZIP! The FZ6 seems to deal out zip in gobs, especially towards the areas at which my 650 redlines... My girlfriend doesn't want me to trade it in though. She really loves the backseat on the DL, but agrees the FZ is better than most sportbikes when it comes to passenger seating.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My main riding buddy has a DL1000 that he pushes pretty hard and I have ridden it a number of time. So I'll just make some comments but I've never owned a DL.

The FZ6 is faster than the 1000 in a straight line, so you'll definitely get the punch you're looking for going from the 650 to the FZ6.

The FZ6 does better when you're really railing because the DL drags all sorts of hard parts before the FZ does. However, the DL can really move!

The DL is like a couch compared to the FZ, but the FZ is fine by me.

The FZ is definitely better setup for the track, although I have another acquaintance that did a track day at Laguna Seca on his DL1000 and was moving.

You can still get down a dirt road on the FZ, but that's the most "off-road" I'll do on the FZ. The DL does not have THAT much clearance so you can't get real gnarly anyway.

What kind of range do you get from your 650? I'm guessing the FZ is pretty close there with the DL650. 220 to 250?

The DL is much better at inhaling tight/bumpy/goaty roads than the FZ6 is. This is due mainly to the suspension and front tire size. When we're going to be hitting the back-back-back-roads, I leave the FZ at home and take the DR. My friends DL can hang with the DR until the pace really pics up...

GOod luck :thumbup:

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi OKstate311,

I'm in the same mood as you are (less the track I confess ;)): " mainly use {my FZ6} for commuting, light-duty touring, and twisties fun whenever I get the chance", and I'm in love with my FZ6, really! Can't think of something different... on the roads!
Many times my wife rides it as passenger too and enjoys it (IF not a "racing ride")!

But, as here in Thailand we have great sceneries and great dirt roads/tracks, I "needed" a dual-purpose oriented bike to get the whole, so... I bought a second one: a BMW F650GS single cylinder (2007). Only 50 metric HP and as the FZ6: 6 m.kg of torque: not a arrow and not a real "motocross" bike, but very easy to handle in "soft" dirt ride conditions (like a big bicycle!), even with luggages... Can't think of something different... on the dirt (not X-cross)!
And my wife loves the passenger seat!

Not big, heavy and greedy bikes... But perfectly fitted for my feels and needs.

IMHO, it's impossible to get the two sides of the same coin in ONE bike...
You have to choose: fun on road OR fun on dirt.
IMHO, if you feel in need of the two, then get two bikes...

I agree: for heavier dirt rides better to get a DRZ. But what about the passenger?

Good luck,
Gobs

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Definitely no passenger involved in dirt rides. It's sounding so far from your advice that the FZ may end up being as close to a perfect fit for me as I could find without dropping 20K for a new Duc Multistrada.... :D Those things are sweet.

It amazes me how many FZ6's I find used around here when browsing through Craigslist or CycleTrader listings... And for really cheap, too. So tempting. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I make the jump to the dark side! :thumbup:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I had an 06 WeeStrom(650) that I rode for 20K miles and had a blast with it, lot of fun to ride and quite comfortable after the addition of a Givi windshield and a Madstad bracket, very little wind noise. Only problem I had was the angle of the bars, used to make for a pinched nerve in the back of my neck. Could have fixed that with some different bars but like you I wanted a little more zip. The FZ6 has that and more and the bars are just right for me, plus the ride in the twisties is even more fun(faster:thumbup:) only thing I miss is the quite bubble of air behind the Strom shield. But I really enjoy the Fizzer a lot more for the kind of riding I do. Get one, you won't be sorry.

Jerry:D

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, sounds like you'd really enjoy the FZ.

The V-stroms aren't real dual-sports anyway. I'm planning to pick up a klr in the next couple of years for that kind of stuff. I've always been curious about the v-stroms though. I tour on my fz6, but not great distances and certainly not two-up. I've thought about the 1L V-strom from that. Seems like a sturdy, comfortable ride.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
That pretty much sums up how I feel about the potential swap... Except I don't have that smooth bubble of air! I got a custom made chopped down sport-style windshield. Airflow hits me about mid-chest but it's much smoother than the stock screen. Hated that thing.

15006_746318569612_17100376_4081030.jpg

It's kind of a "beautiful because it's ugly thing", right? :D

I guess when it comes down to it, I try to make it look more like a sportbike, try to ride it like a sportbike, but it's just not.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Quick Update:

I test rode an '08 FZ6 today, dark blue, absolute beauty... I must say, HOLY CRAP!!! What a wonderfully exhilarating bike.:cheer: That inline 4 impressed me from top to bottom. It was extremely alien for me to hit 7,000 on the tach and continue to hammer on the throttle instead of looking for the next gear.

I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be giving up some comfort but couldn't believe how nice the seating ergonomics felt. The pegs were just slightly aft of those on my 'Strom, leading to a more aggressive, yet comfortable feel. :rockon:

The dealer had a used '08 along with a brand new '08 and brand new '09. They were charging $6900 for both new ones and wouldn't come down and $5000 for the used '08.

I was tempted to bite on it today but I've also located a 2007 with less than 10K miles for $3500. I'm going to get on the horn with my bank and take a look at this badboy, and who knows, I may be an FZ6 owner within a week! :D

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at a dealer last week and he informed me that a promo in May will have you an 09 FZ6 for $5995